Quick hunt in Mendocino (Snow Mtn Wilderness?)

gmajor

WKR
Quick hunt near Mendocino

Hey guys,

My schedule's been pretty hectic since I got my buck back in October. However, this week I've got two days to give a last ditch effort for bear. For timing reason's it's going to be in an area I've never been (Mendocino Nat. Forest, perhaps north cow mtn). Not ideal, but it is what it is. Does anyone have tips for hunting bear in an area they've never been? Just like any other animal I assume? I figure I'll glass and glass some more. Maybe as a hail mary effort let out a few predator calls. Don't know what I could really do beyond that, but if anyone is familiar with the southern end of mendo/cow mtn - or has a preferred bear technique - info is appreciated!

Last edited:

kickemall

WKR
Bears start getting a lot tougher to find this time of year in Ca. but are still around and this is a strange year. If they have put on weight and its cold then they start laying up for a couple days then wandering around some but generally not to far. Normally I'd tell you to find the acorns but by now whatever acorns there may have been are probably mostly ate up. The good news for you is that the coast, at least from about Ft. Bragg to at least Eureka and inland to Trinity county has had the worst feed year for bears most guys can remember. Those areas are holding very few bears now so they had to go somewhere and that means towards the areas your interested in. I can't help you with Cow Mtn. (provided we're talking about the one east of Ukiah) except the little I know is that its real brushy. I know little of Snow Mtn. except its a lot of it is more open. I have heard from guys I trust that there have been a bunch of bear using Mendo. NF west of Willows. That would be just to the north of Snow Mtn. so Snow Mtn. is very likely holding some. I also heard, although second hand, that around Covelo there is a bunch. I don't know if that is on the NF or private though. The west side of the Yolla Bollys and the NF north of Covelo aren't holding many at all this year. If your on foot then Glassing is your game but I'd try to find an area that has some sign or somebody reliable reports an area that is holding bear before I did much walking. Since the feed in some areas is so sparse this year you may run into some anywhere, covering ground looking for feed even though its late. Hope this helps and Good luck!

Edit - Something I forgot to add is that if you get reports of bear in an area make sure they're reasonably current. Just because there were bear everywhere in August(or a month ago) doesn't mean they'll be there now. Feed sources change fast as do their habits with weather.

Last edited:

84toyota

Lil-Rokslider
If there is snow on the ground, maybe drive until you cut some tracks. There are a lot of bear in the Snow Mtn. Wilderness, but I've never spent time there this late in the year...

OP
gmajor

gmajor

WKR
Spent some time talking to some rangers and looking at my schedule. I think I've decided to hike into the cache creek wilderness area, just below mendo nf. I've got a pig tag in my pocket too in case the mythical public land pigs show up while I'm glassing for bear.

Either way, I'm honestly just happy to get outside for an overnighter right now.