Anybody drag a tire?

WKR
I'm considering building a tire drag system (tire, harness, etc.) for training purposes. I believe it to be the ideal training for mountain hunting that can be done outside of the mountains. Low impact, replicates the movement and muscles involved, metabolically challenging, etc.

Not sure on what size tire or the best harness method. Planning on using a weight belt and attaching the chain/rope to that so that I'm pulling with the hips/trunk rather than stressing the spine by tethering it at shoulder level.

Any tips from someone who's done this very much?

OP

WKR
I'm trying to figure out what size of tire. Don't want it to be too easy or too hard and really don't know anything about how hard this will be. Trial and error isn't a big deal as the equipment is cheap...

RUTTIN

WKR
I drug a car tire at first, and my calves were screaming. When I got used to that I hooked up a stock F350 tire and after a mile on the canal by my house that was all I wanted. Sure get some weird looks from other people running, good thing it's a small town and most people know how weird i am.

If you go to any tire store and ask for old tires, they should give you whatever you want, car, truck, tractor, whatever. I suggest drilling a hole in one side and then inserting a large threaded eyelet with a couple of washers on each side to attach your rope or chain to. Then, let your imagination run wild with possibilities. (pun intended)

kad11

WKR
I use a truck - sized tire with an eye-bolt through the tread. I also drilled holes through the side walls and weaved some heavy duty cordage to make a net so that I can load the sled up with plate weights or sandbags. I do short 30m - 50m bursts with as much weight as I can pull...it's one heck of a cardio workout and will make your legs feel like jello:)

OP

WKR
I'm thinking I might need my lighter tire for longer sessions up to a couple of miles and a bigger tire for strength workouts. I'm sure the wife will be psyched when she starts seeing old tires piled up in the garage...

never thought of this,,,, I have all kinds of old blown out tires from off road racing. A micky thompson baja belted in 35" will be great. I used that once behing my lawn mower to flatten some dirt out.

nrh6.7

WKR
Bumping to see if anyone is currently doing this. Just got a tire, harness and tow strap that I'm rigging up to pull up and down my street. Got a 16" tire so a 45 lb plate will sit on top. Should be a good leg workout that hopefully mimics climbing a mountain.

Clarktar

WKR
I do this. Usually work it into the end of a workout for a final leg blast.

The alley by my house is 50 yards with about a 3-4 percent grade. I drag a 35" dynapro mud terrain. Either have my daughter sitting on it or a 40lbs.

Yesterday I did 400 yards (3 rounds down and back) and would shoot an arrow on each return leg at 30 yards. I enjoy the grind and shooting when winded and tired was educational to say the least.

I cut a hole in tire and run a chain through that and clip it back to itself making a small diameter loop. Then I have webbing attached to the chain and about 12-15 feet then attached to a harness.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Might want to take a look at that Exo Back Country Training plan on the Exo Mountain Website. They have videos on how to "build" the tire and train with it.

nrh6.7

WKR
Might want to take a look at that Exo Back Country Training plan on the Exo Mountain Website. They have videos on how to "build" the tire and train with it.

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. This is the video that really got me thinking about it. I'm terrible about getting to a gym so if I can do this at home I have no excuse.

This guy is a coach at a high school and has them basically doing a complete body workout with a tire.

ETA: I'd already seen the EXO video and that's where I got the idea of a 16" tire to keep the plate weight from falling through. Thanks!

[video=youtube;7wG_-2XkOY4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wG_-2XkOY4[/video]

Last edited: