Remington 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader - Anybody use one this fall?

Looking for any actual user info on the new Remington 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader. If you have one and used it this fall please share your thoughts.

Looking for any actual user info on the new Remington 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader. If you have one and used it this fall please share your thoughts.

I have read a lot of user information and speculation - but most it is not very complementary. I have no first hand information.

I will send you a PM..

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
You're smart asking around before you buy one. Remington's last muzz endeavor produced guns that didn't like to go off 50% of the time. I owned two of them and had to spend my own money to fix the problem (not enough force against the primer) even though Rem clearly knew there was a problem. In all fairness, that was about 12 years ago, so maybe this next generation is better

dotman

WKR
Too bad you can't shoot loose powder out of it, can't use it in a few states (CO included) because of that. This is based on what Rem says, I'm sure this will be tested but I would have a hard time pulling the trigger on this when the mfg only recommends pellets.

OP
S
Yea I'm thinking the pellet only thing is a big problem. Especially those of us here in Colo. Interesting rifle though.

bradb

WKR
Just build one off a old rem 700 or other actions. Drop a brux ect on it and you can shoot it with, black powder substitutes or smokeless. Now mine is 45 cal so it wouldn't work for CO elk with 50 cal restriction. Mine is the easiest gun I have ever had for making shoot(and I do have a few target type rifles that are VERY accurate) Lots of info on them here http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/board/23/savage-smokeless-muzzleloading

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Too bad you can't shoot loose powder out of it, can't use it in a few states (CO included) because of that. This is based on what Rem says, I'm sure this will be tested but I would have a hard time pulling the trigger on this when the mfg only recommends pellets.

Yea I'm thinking the pellet only thing is a big problem. Especially those of us here in Colo. Interesting rifle though.

I don't know where you are finding this info, I scoured their website, read reviews and can't find it. They recommend pellets with their bullet is all. It hints that pellets are easier to load( I disagree) Doesn't say you can't use loose powder and I don't know how a gun can shoot pellets and not loose powder or vise Versa

CoHiCntry

WKR
You guy's should check out both Frontier Muzzleloading and Modern Muzzleloader forum. There is tons of good information on muzzleloaders from guy's with lots of experience. You will find threads on this gun and get first hand knowledge. Neither forum are real hunting involved but if you have questions about muzzleloaders, you'll find answers there. NAML that dotman mentioned is a good place too... For what it's worth I haven't heard any glowing reviews on this gun for the money.

bradb

WKR
I use 45 acp cases modified for 209 primers.
Thought about doing the gun, then drew a nm ibex tag so got it built quick. I felt good at 500 if needed. Shot the ibex at 380. I really just did a barrel and breech plug then put it on a switch barrel I already had.
I have a full form swing lock die. I would probably just go smooth die as the bullets that fur barrel without sizing shoot just as good. These are sabotless,

WRO

WKR
I use 45 acp cases modified for 209 primers.
Thought about doing the gun, then drew a nm ibex tag so got it built quick. I felt good at 500 if needed. Shot the ibex at 380. I really just did a barrel and breech plug then put it on a switch barrel I already had.
I have a full form swing lock die. I would probably just go smooth die as the bullets that fur barrel without sizing shoot just as good. These are sabotless,
Where are the pictures and story..

I have 2 of the Remington Ultimate Muzzloaders I have the Bell and Carson stock and the laminated wood stock. both shoot extremely accurate I use loose powder blackhorn 209 160 grains by volume! 300 grain parker ballistic extreme bullets and I shoit sub moa groups at 200 yards!!! I have shot both of them out to 500 yards and I don't have any problems it holds a perfect 4 inch groups at 500!!!! Took a while to get the load it liked. I paid 750 dollars for each remington 700 ultimate. I did not get great groups with 4 t7's the gun shoots so much better with black horn 209. I will be shooting them this spring with more loads to see what bullet will come close to the Parker bullets. I also am using the night force g7 on the bell and Carson model and I use the Johnston ultimate muzzloader scope on the other one witch is a leupold vx6 custom turret and they shoot alost identically!!!!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I have 2 of the Remington Ultimate Muzzloaders I have the Bell and Carson stock and the laminated wood stock. both shoot extremely accurate I use loose powder blackhorn 209 160 grains by volume! 300 grain parker ballistic extreme bullets and I shoit sub moa groups at 200 yards!!! I have shot both of them out to 500 yards and I don't have any problems it holds a perfect 4 inch groups at 500!!!! Took a while to get the load it liked. I paid 750 dollars for each remington 700 ultimate. I did not get great groups with 4 t7's the gun shoots so much better with black horn 209. I will be shooting them this spring with more loads to see what bullet will come close to the Parker bullets. I also am using the night force g7 on the bell and Carson model and I use the Johnston ultimate muzzloader scope on the other one witch is a leupold vx6 custom turret and they shoot alost identically!!!!

Iceman, sounds like a sweet gun. Wow.

yes I have 2 of them and the Remington has performed to his and beyond I have 2 BP expresses one I have drilled and tapped for sights only other scoped

Robby this gun is sweet very I love the remington like most remington I don't like there triggers!! I put a trigger job on the triggers it has a crisp break at 2 pounds. I love the Parker bullets I shoot in it . I'm gonna Try a bunch of loads this spring with different bullets powder.