Need opinions on NM Application

Here's the deal:

I have reliable intel on two zones in NM. The quality of bulls is the same, however less elk in the one with higher draw odds. The "rut" hunt in the better zone is a Quality-High demand and the tag is more than I want to pay.

two seasons in each zone (archery)

How would you apply? Would you rather hunt the first season in a Zone with more elk or would you rather hunt the rut in a zone with fewer elk and hunters? Choices are :

1) higher elk and hunter numbers for the first, non-rut season
2) low elk/hunter numbers for the first, non-rut season
3) low elk/hunter numbers for the rut

How would you order your choices (1,3,2 or 1,2,3, etc.)

There is no PP in NM, first pick, first choice. And this is not my first archery elk (2 cows and a 5pt in CO and MT)

SDHNTR

WKR
How much time do you have? The earlier seasons are a lot longer in most units. And how do you feel about sitting water? If I had a lot of time and didn't mind sitting a tank, I'd personaly take the first season with more elk.

wapitibob

WKR
All first archery seasons are now the same length as are the second seasons. 1-10 and 13-22 if I remember correctly. There are no longer any 3 season archery hunts.
I have hunted nm numerous times and have always had plenty of bugling bulls on the 9th when I get there. I would have no reservations hunting a 1-10 first season and would expect enough action that water wouldn't be an option at the top of my list.

I would look at the detailed odds to see how the hunts were drawn in the past ie; 90% first choice 80% first choice or was a hunt an 80% third choice unit. Although they look at all 3 choices you might have better luck picking an 80% hunt as your first choice.

SDHNTR

WKR
Interesting WB. Didn't know that about the season changes. Is that new in 2015?

Quoted from the NMGF commision meetings minutes page, and it was approved...."What we also have done is standardized the archery seasons from September 1 to 14,
and 15 to 24 state wide."

SDHNTR

WKR
Hmm wanted what that is going to do to quotas? If same, sounds like more crowds.

OP
timberland
I heard the same. I assume that if the third season was a Q-HD and the second wasn't, under the new structure would make the first "non Q-HD" and the second Q-HD.

unm1136

WKR
The hard part is getting drawn. If you like specific areas, you should put in for both. I have put in all four choices for elk for the past five years, and not been drawn. I draw mule deer, but not elk, and I have been putting in for both rifle and archery and antlerless hunts.

pat

nsedillo

FNG
3,2,1... Good luck on the draw as it is tough for NM residents, couldn't imagine for out-of-staters. I would advise to consult the draw odds report provided by the NMDGF..

I tried posting it but can't figure out how the hell to do it on an iPad.

OP
timberland
Yep I know its a long, long shot. But a friend of mine and his dad drew 13 second season last year as a group! I think they got 2 out of the 6 tags. So, anything is possible. Got to apply and cancel other hunts if I get drawn.