Early Season Boot Confusion

Ironman8

WKR
Still on the quest for a good all around boot, but I keep seeing a trend that has me a little confused. Alot of people mention using trail runners like Salomon Speedcross in the early season for their hunting shoe of choice. The confusing part is that alot of the same people talk about needing a stiff boot for packing out heavy loads.

The only thing that changes from early season to late season is temperature and perhaps some snow on the ground. The potential for packing out heavy loads remains the same. I can see the obvious point about wanting a warmer boot in the colder weather, but does boot support/stiffness take a back seat to breathability and the quick drying nature of trail runners for early season? Any other reasons for this?

OP
Ironman8

Ironman8

WKR
FWIW, I'd like to find a boot that is light, breathable, and just stiff enough to handle off-trail terrain but not stiff enough that I feel like I have boxes on my feet. Still haven't decided whether I'll go with a waterproof (GTX) boot or not since my feet tend to sweat alot in them.

The one that has intrigued me the most is the L&S Cevedale Tech Lite. Seems to be stiff but pretty light. Just not sure if they're too stiff?

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Short answer: I wear the same boot/sock year round if the potential to pack an animal out is there.

Jon Boy

WKR
Still on the quest for a good all around boot, but I keep seeing a trend that has me a little confused. Alot of people mention using trail runners like Salomon Speedcross in the early season for their hunting shoe of choice. The confusing part is that alot of the same people talk about needing a stiff boot for packing out heavy loads.

The only thing that changes from early season to late season is temperature and perhaps some snow on the ground. The potential for packing out heavy loads remains the same. I can see the obvious point about wanting a warmer boot in the colder weather, but does boot support/stiffness take a back seat to breathability and the quick drying nature of trail runners for early season? Any other reasons for this?

Ive noticed the same trend too, and I also don't understand. I hate stiff boots in general.

DWarcher

WKR

I used the Salomon Speedcross this year in California (August), Arizona (September), Wyoming (October) and Nevada (December) while using them to pack out three bucks and a bull. Honestly, unless there is snow on the ground, cannot see myself going back to a standard stiff-soled boot. The only downside I can see is that they are pretty beat up and depending on the amount of usage, might only be good for one year. For me, the weight savings more than outweighs any added cost.

ScottP

WKR
I personally don't like hiking/climbing the steep, rocky stuff with trail runners. I was in the same boat as you it sounds, was wearing a full-leather GTX boot and my feet were just on fire during september! After much research and trying on, I think I found my do-all boot. I'm testing out the Salewa Mid Mountain Trainer GTX

http://www.salewa.us/product/alpine+approach/ms-mtn-trainer-mid-gtx-1

It only comes in GTX in the boot height, although they make a shoe in the same style that is non-GTX. So far I really like the boot - its weight is far less than a full leather mountain boot but has all of the stability and ankle protection I prefer when busting around in the brush and junk. Need a full hunting season to really evaluate them fully, but I've done a few mountain grouse hunts so far to get the feel. Won't know if they offer any relief from the heat (probably not?) until May or so after bear season.

For reference, the boots I just retired are Asolo TPS520 GTX, 4lbs/pair. the salewa are a bit more flexible in most regards.

My elk hunting partner used a beat pair of merrel with almost no insoles to run around the mountains in last season for 16 days.. its really a matter of preference and you have to find what works for you.

DWarcher

WKR
I personally don't like hiking/climbing the steep, rocky stuff with trail runners. I was in the same boat as you it sounds, was wearing a full-leather GTX boot and my feet were just on fire during september! After much research and trying on, I think I found my do-all boot. I'm testing out the Salewa Mid Mountain Trainer GTX

http://www.salewa.us/product/alpine+approach/ms-mtn-trainer-mid-gtx-1

I would recommend that anyone in the market try these on before buying them as they tend to run narrow. I have a lightly used pair collecting dust in my closet right now because I made that mistake.

OP
Ironman8

Ironman8

WKR
Brock,
I'd rather have just one boot for all things as well. Whether hiking or hunting. Keeps things simple.

DWarcher,
Pretty interesting regarding the trail runners. I'm going to go do a hike this weekend with my Brooks PureGrit with at least 80# to see how my feet feel. Unfortunately, I don't live where there's mountainous terrain. Also, I actually just got a new pair of the Salewa Alp Trainers to test out. I don't have a wide foot, but they do run pretty narrow...that said, my initial impression is that they're nice boots and well made. I think the stiffness is pretty close to what I'm looking for in a "do all" boot. Of course, carpet testing doesn't tell the whole story. I heard the Mountain Trainers are slightly wider and want to try those as well in comparison. What size do you have? :)

Scott,
Thanks for the input. I'm coming from Asolo Fugitives, and my main gripe with them is breathability. Weight wasn't bad and stiffness is also pretty good for me...but I think I might be able to get by with a more flexible boot. Any experience with the Fugitive vs. Mtn Trainer? How about Alp Trainer?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I only use trail runners when I'm scouting and don't plan on packing weight. If I'm hunting, I've learned the value of a sturdy "sheep hunting" type boot.

I'm really digging the Zamberland Guide GTX's this year. My favorite boot to date.

Last edited:
I was in a similar situation a few years ago and after many hours or research I landed on the Lowa Rangers. I couldn't be happier as this boots really does it all for me.

ScottP

WKR
I would recommend that anyone in the market try these on before buying them as they tend to run narrow. I have a lightly used pair collecting dust in my closet right now because I made that mistake.

Maybe you mean the Alp trainer? I wouldn't consider the Mtn trainer narrow, they have more width than an Asolo Fugitve or TPS 520 in the same size. The Alp trainer is built on a much narrower last. I wear a medium width in all shoes and the Mtn trainer fit me perfectly.

ScottP

WKR
Scott,
Thanks for the input. I'm coming from Asolo Fugitives, and my main gripe with them is breathability. Weight wasn't bad and stiffness is also pretty good for me...but I think I might be able to get by with a more flexible boot. Any experience with the Fugitive vs. Mtn Trainer? How about Alp Trainer?

I thought the fugitive was going to be the boot for me, but tried it on and it just didn't feel right, fit is much different than the Asolo 520s. The Mtn trainer felt good right off the bat, and I recall it being a stiffer boot than the fugitive. I like the lacing better and the overall design of the Mtn trainer. I wasn't able to try on the Alp trainer, but from my research, folks said it ran very narrow - and I don't have a narrow foot, just medium.

Its tough to find a sturdy, light boot without GTX - hence me breaking down and getting it anyway (was trying to avoid). I think I'll be happy with it this saturday when I'm out with friends helping with his kid's cow elk hunt (heavy snow/rain predicted). I did end up buying the low version of the Mtn trainer w/out GTX on huge discount from amazon last week. So now I have the best of both worlds, for me anyway.

Good luck, and let us know what you come up with.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ive noticed the same trend too, and I also don't understand. I hate stiff boots in general.

I liken it to the "daypack" versus "meat hauling capable pack" debate. I prefer to carry as small a pack as possible when hunting........but also want the ability to haul heavy loads when I need it. One could liken that to your topic on the boots. But personally, I like having a taller stiffer boot for all my hunting situations.

Slim Jim

WKR
Try the Salewa rapace gtx. I've had them for a couple months now and love them so far. Super lightweight with a stiff sole and a great fit. They have a roomy toe box which is so hard to find and no heel slip. These were just what I was looking for, something between my Solomon quest 4ds and my Scarpa triolets.

I usually wear one boot for everything. I also own one pack for everything. I switched to Miendl Denalis a couple of years ago after I blew out the second sole on my third pair of Asolo's. I keep thinking I am going to try a set of trail runners for the early season, but I never do. I probably won't.

DWarcher

WKR
Maybe you mean the Alp trainer? I wouldn't consider the Mtn trainer narrow, they have more width than an Asolo Fugitve or TPS 520 in the same size. The Alp trainer is built on a much narrower last. I wear a medium width in all shoes and the Mtn trainer fit me perfectly.

Yep, you're right, I have the Alps.

ScottP

WKR
Try the Salewa rapace gtx. I've had them for a couple months now and love them so far. Super lightweight with a stiff sole and a great fit. They have a roomy toe box which is so hard to find and no heel slip. These were just what I was looking for, something between my Solomon quest 4ds and my Scarpa triolets.

The rapace is a great boot and fits identical to the Moutain trainer mid. I tried both on in the store. The rapace is a true mountaineering boot and is a tad stiffer and accepts step-in crampons. On my 'in-store' testing, stepping up the steep incline thing they had, the two were quite similar. the moutain trainer seems to be slightly lighter duty built rapace, although the physical weight is nearly the same. I had a really hard time deciding which to get, and opted for the mountain only cause it was a tad more flexible and I figured on a lot of non-technical use for them.

Upcountry

Lil-Rokslider
I started the season with two new pairs of boots. The last few years I'd been using some Merrell mid height all around hiking boots. I tend to lean towards the lighter end of the spectrum on my gear, boots included. I picked up some Asolo Fugitive GTX's from REI on their display rack for $59 and they've been my go to so far for wet/cold stuff and although I've only got probably 60 miles in them, they are working out. Not the most comfortable boot I've worn, but a nice compromise between weight and sturdiness.
My most pleasant discovery was the Merrell Mix Master Tuff Mid's. I bought them mainly with Chukar hunting in mind, as I like a light, but grippy shoe with some flex and I've since worn them in some pretty rough terrain(including a 4 mile hike in fresh snow) with great results. They're a nice compromise between a trail-runner and a light "boot". I've spent 4 days straight wearing these, as well as packed a doe out about 3 miles in these with no discomfort, so these will most likely be my go to early season shoes.
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13122925

I used to own a pair of La Sportivas, but finally got rid of them. Now the Salomon trail runners are my shoe of choice for hunting which is mostly early season archery. I've been in several hunting camps and always hear from other guys is that I'm going to twist an ankle or...... Been wearing them for years and haven't had an issue at all. I like them as they seem quieter than boots when it's critical to put a sneak on an animal. I also hike/backpack and am glad that I switched from boots to trail runners as they allow my feet to breathe more.

I also have a pair of Salomon Quest GTX boots that work pretty well that I've used snowshoeing and early season archery, but for some reason after about 5 miles my knees begin to hurt when wearing them.

huntn100

FNG
I use my Asolo 520s for everything. I just add gaitors in rain or later seasons. ive tried to destroy these boots and the just keep on going. Two years ago i took a misstep on a shallow creek crossing and completely submerged my right foot. it was mid october and dumping snow at 5 am, I continued to hike up the mountain shot a cow 3 miles from camp field dressed her and hauled the first load out. After the entire day of hunting and hauling I didnt even have a single hptspot on my feet. These work for me.