CO Archery suggestions

COhuntin

FNG
So it's about time to start thinking about next years hunt strategies.....Here is my dilemma, two friends from out of state want to come and do a high country archery deer hunt. They both have one point and I have four. I don't really want to burn my points at this time, especially for a lower unit. Do you guys have any suggestions? It looks like we could draw an archery deer tag for Maroon Bells or Holy Cross, but maybe I'm reading the 2014 preference point stats wrong.... Just looking for ideas. Any help would be appreciated.

If they have 1 PT I would just put in for the same unit as them as my 2nd choice. If you draw great, if not they are on their own or you could just go along. I would think your odds of drawing a unit that takes one point for them as your 2nd choice would be pretty good as a resident. Or pick a unit that will work out that way.

Bughalli

WKR
If they have 1 PT I would just put in for the same unit as them as my 2nd choice. If you draw great, if not they are on their own or you could just go along. I would think your odds of drawing a unit that takes one point for them as your 2nd choice would be pretty good as a resident. Or pick a unit that will work out that way.

Good advice....don't burn your points. I'm speaking from experience. I was in a very similar situation and now I'm back at zero. ....and none of us tagged out for the crappy zone we drew.

ColoradoV

WKR
Drawing the 43 block as a 2nd choice is now a thing of the past last year everyone with 0 points did not draw..

That unit has gotten a ton of press, followed by more press, and turned a bunch of folks on to it for their 2nd choice.. In 2011 there were over 100 tags left over for archery last year there were 0.. In fact the number of applicants for the 43 block has over doubled in the past 4 years...

So if you want to hunt the bells or holey cross unless you buy a LO tag it will cost you all your points.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
There's a whole lot more high country in Colorado than the Bells and the Cross. If you can find LO tags, sometimes they're less than $500 for archery is some lesser known units. Most people agree a point is worth about a grand, so $500 for an LO is half price

SDHNTR

WKR
man, wish I could sell my points for a grand each! IMO, mule deer points for a bowhunter in CO are just about worthless. Most of the early high country hunts can be drawn with 0 or 1. Beyond that, I'm not sure there is much worth saving up for. If I'm missing something, I'd love for somebody to tell my how I'm wrong.

bowuntr

WKR
I'm sitting on 9 worthless Co deer points. Probably going to cash them in next year on a 1 point plains unit.... Ed F

TEmbry

WKR
man, wish I could sell my points for a grand each! IMO, mule deer points for a bowhunter in CO are just about worthless. Most of the early high country hunts can be drawn with 0 or 1. Beyond that, I'm not sure there is much worth saving up for. If I'm missing something, I'd love for somebody to tell my how I'm wrong.

There are certainly high country archery hunts that require more points, but you'd know way more about this process than me... They may not be worth the wait vs the 1 pt units...

I'm sitting on 6 pts and have zero percent chance of burning them this fall given my upcoming work schedule... So I'll be looking at burning 7 points in 2016... Going for the high point units simply for the extremely low tag numbers.

Looking back I wouldn't save this many again...ever.

You could find a unit that takes four points for you to draw a smoke pole tag or early rifle tag and takes them 1 point to draw an archery tag. Then you both get to draw a tag and you do not waste points on a 1 point tag.