Just Curious... how'd you like your NOMAD?

dotman

WKR
At first it seemed great but the more I used it the more I realized it wasn't for me. It's a great pack just found it wasn't a design I could get used to. I'm pretty sure I would have the same issue with an EMR2. Gonna use a longbow for dayhunts, picked up an EXO bag for multi day hunts and wasn't too impressed, back to a highcamp for multi day trips.

My biggest issue was how big the wings are, the straps that compress the wings when loaded and how wide it got with a dry bag loaded full of gear.

Love it as a day pack. Took a long time to balance the wings with my gear but once I did i was set.

sold the camp bag not long after it arrived. I could tell right away it was not going to work for backpack hunting. I'll get a dt1 or 2 for that.

i will definatly be keeping it as my go to day/scouting/shed hunting/meat hauler for sure!

Love it as a day pack. Took a long time to balance the wings with my gear but once I did i was set.

sold the camp bag not long after it arrived. I could tell right away it was not going to work for backpack hunting. I'll get a dt1 or 2 for that.

i will definatly be keeping it as my go to day/scouting/shed hunting/meat hauler for sure!

What made you feel that the camp bag wouldn't work for backpack hunting?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
You do pretty much have to unbuckle the lid... but if you need in the main tubes you pretty much have to unbuckle all of them anyway... whats 2 more? HAHAHA

I see some of the complaints as valid, but the lid and a med pouch on the bottom and you should be good to go for most of the commonly needed items. I honestly feel like the complaint about the width is based more on theoreticals than experience. I have put enough stuff for 5 days in the camp back in the center and it never felt too wide. Maybe I am just wide haha

Joe

After using the T1 and DT1 and EMR 2 I find for carrying the same volume of stuff that makes the EMR 2 feel so "wide" I would much rather go a bit wider than taller like it would be required on the T1/DT1. Going tall seems more of a hindrance than going wider. The EMR 2 loaded wide is no wider than a Barney's pack and hangs up less going through alders than going up.

This load would not have physically fit in a T1 or DT1 ;)

Last edited:

weaver

WKR
I agree with Luke...its either gonna be taller,wider or further from your back. I'll take wider

7mag.

WKR
As far as the width, I was concerned about it too. After learning how to load the Nomad, I found I can get it narrower than my Mystery Ranch, with the same gear. I put my sleep system below the wings, and almost every thing else goes in the wings and Longhunter lid. Maybe food between the wings.

I thought the camp bag was a great addition for longer, or late season backpack hunts, where I take more gear.

DaveC

WKR
How wide are the EMRII and Nomad? In inches, with the zippered pockets full and the inside surfaces of said pockets parallel. Curious, as most photos don't make them seem enormously wide.

lintond

WKR
What I found frustrating at first was the strap tails dangling about. I got some of the web dominators and that helped quite a bit. I also had to adjust my packing style to better utilize the pack and it's abilities. I'm hoping to get some blood on the pack this elk season! :D

i could never balance the load well enough. tried lots of different techniques but it was always awkward when I tried to compress everything. For multi day trips I like a traditional bag better.

Thanks for the reply Matt. It does take some fiddling and head scratching at times, depending on the load for sure.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The way the wings are attached to the EMRII compared to the Nomad, the pivoting point on the Nomad will make it wider than the EMRII with everything stuffed and equal. I don't find the EMRII wide at all even when loaded to the gills.

The Nomad with camp bag attached and stuffed full will be 3-4 inches wider (just past shoulders on average sized guy) than the EMRII with everything equal.

That doesn't answer your questions exactly, as I can't remember what the dimensions were for each when stuffed, but as other have mentioned....wider is better for me when I'm hauling in/out a lot of gear or meat (more comfortable).
How wide are the EMRII and Nomad? In inches, with the zippered pockets full and the inside surfaces of said pockets parallel. Curious, as most photos don't make them seem enormously wide.

jb79

WKR
I loved my nomad this year!!! I am 5"9 ish so wider is better than taller which is why I went the shorter stays, and carried more weight then ever before( packed an elk out in 2 trips) granted I didn't do any long trips with everything on my back. I followed the lead of another rokslider and put a back pocket under the wings for puffy/rain gear and used the lid for everything else needed daily ( tp, snacks, ect) and found I rarely had to loosen straps. Loved my nomad!!!!

Scoot

WKR
This bothered me at first too. However, I started to carry anything I'd need with any regularity in the lid and I also added a pocket below the wings for this too. I need a bigger pocket down there so I can include a few other things too. Once I get the space I need in the lid and that pocket and only have to get into the wings for things like a kill kit, filling water, etc. then I think I won't have a concern with this at all.

Apparently I'm becoming a complete narcissist- I'm quoting myself in my posts now! LOL I've got a follow question to the info I posted in the quote above. I currently run a large belt pouch below the batwings. If I remember right, that offers me about 300 CIs. Is there another option that would fit down there that I could add in more CIs than that? I'm thinking something in the 600 CI range might be about right. What does Kifaru make that would fit there and work with the connections available down there?

sojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Apparently I'm becoming a complete narcissist- I'm quoting myself in my posts now! LOL I've got a follow question to the info I posted in the quote above. I currently run a large belt pouch below the batwings. If I remember right, that offers me about 300 CIs. Is there another option that would fit down there that I could add in more CIs than that? I'm thinking something in the 600 CI range might be about right. What does Kifaru make that would fit there and work with the connections available down there?
If I remember correctly the long pockets are 650ci, but I'm not seeing them on their website anymore

Edit: They have the 500 light long pockets still in the Rhino Den

Last edited:

Kotaman

WKR

Scoot...I ran the Long Pocket on mine. Connected to existing buckles and used the other buckle on the Long Pocket to attach to the lid.

Scoot

WKR
Thanks guys. If I run a long pocket is it easily accessible or is a pain in the rear to get in and out of there? It looks to me like the batwings might be in the way and make accessing it annoying. Like you mentioned earlier, Cory, I want something that allows easy in and out because getting in the wings frequently is inconvenient.