Let's see your mountain goat pics!

Outhunting

Lil-Rokslider
I was hunting with Ultima Thule last September on their last hunt for Dall Sheep. We killed a beautiful 9 year old ram on the second day. They had offered me a great deal to add on a goat and it was way to early to come home so I jumped on it. My guide Jay and I got dropped off on what looked like Mars to me. Sparse vegetation and all red terrain, we walked a couple of miles and set up camp by a Glacier. The next morning we woke up to snow on the tent, had a quick oatmeal breakfast and some Starbucks Via's and then we walked into an area where Jay knew there where some goats and got on top of them. After watching them for an hour or so there was no denying which one I was going to take. I had 260 yard shot with my Tikka 7 Mag and when I shot the goat he lunged forward and it looked like I punched him where I wanted too but since he was on the other side of a ledge and he did not start tumbling down and the other goats where just hanging about we held tight. We were trying to figure out if maybe he just laid down and died and the others didn't know he was dead or what the heck happened so after about 10 minutes we started talking. A couple of Billies finally noticed us and wandered away but we still did not see my goat so we started over. Now this is the part that impressed me. We were going down this finger and we saw a Billy just feeding below us that had not wandered out and as we got to about 65 yards he looked at us and ran. Jay saw that he had blood on him and was definitely the one were after so I anchored him with the next shot. The impressive part is how tough this animal was. When we broke him down we recovered a bullet that had went through his paunch and lodged against his hide on the other side. Shot through the gut and kept on feeding! Wow! The second shot was devastating with massive trauma, so down for good. Of course everywhere we hunted looked like a hole and with me carrying out the Cape and some of the meat and Jay with the majority of the meat that was one hole I glad to get out of! Those Wrangell mountains were tough for me and I was glad that the outfitter insisted on me wearing plactics as we were in some stuff I was not real comfortable with and think they made a difference. Great hunt!

Tanner

WKR
Outhunting, sounds like a hell of a time. The Wrangells are badass mountains, I've heard some good stories from my boss about some nasty goat and sheep hunts in the area. I'd love to see photos of your ram and goat if you've got them.

Tanner

cobrad

FNG
I agree, great story. Would love to see a pic of your ram.
I worked a Dall hunt in the Brooks Range a few years ago. Wow, what a place.

Outhunting

Lil-Rokslider
This was one of my bucket list hunts and I am so glad I got to experience it. Now if I could draw a Desert Bighorn in Nevada with my 22 or so points or a California Ram with my 18 points!

Last edited:

Broomd

WKR
Great stuff guys...
Here are few of our goats...
9'' Kodiak billy...
IMAG0047_2.jpg

8.5 Idaho billy...
DSCN3746_2.jpg

Wife and yours truly with her 9" Idaho nanny...this goat was ancient; its teeth were shot. ironically it had fabulous late season hair. Killed at 10,000'!
PIC_0041%203.jpg

PIC_0044_2.jpg

Last edited:

Decker9

WKR
Some great Billy's in here! New to the sight, goats are my passion, happy to share some pics and vids.
This is a billy I passed up this winter on the last day of season (feb 28)

Decker9

WKR
Gotta love them 5km stalks up the side of a goat mountain, only to find the goat your stalking was a nanny! Lol. Well worth the walk, even for just a few photos.

Decker9

WKR
This billy showed up the day before the season opened, I woulda went back, but stone sheep was the agenda.

I could go all day posting goat pics and vids lol. I won't clog up the thread ;). Happy goat huntin guys and gals!

slim9300

WKR
I'm going to repost my all-time favorite mountain goat pictures. I took these on top of Mount Elinor in the Olympics. The old ones show up really blurry on here for some reason. Maybe these will look better.

7659b9c838ad574b14274bc51dab01da.jpg
951fb9dbfcae2d4a2313cdbd4b5bba3a.jpg

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider

This pic is from a couple years ago. My wife got a draw for this mountain this year. Six days till the season opens!