DIY Sitka Blacktail hunt

WRO

WKR
My friend and I are considering a DIY Sitka Blacktail hunt in either SE, Montague, or Kodiak. My dad did Olga Bay about 25 years ago, but other than that we don't have a good starting place. I'd like to do SE or POW, but we are pretty open to anyplace. (it'd be nice to kill a big black bear as well if the opportunity came up)

Anybody got a place for us start our planning.

dieNqvrs

Lil-Rokslider
Call the regional biologists of the areas you are thinking. Can be found online pretty easily. Ask them some questions about populations, access and pressure by locals and guides. After call some transporters in area to get some ideas on cost, logistic needs and places they can go.

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
What is your budget per person? I would go Kodiak personally but it can be expensive depending on the route you go (drop camp, charter boat, hunt from lodge etc.).

OP
WRO

WRO

WKR
We are thinking 3k all in. Looking at POW, baranoff island, and Montague right now..

ryno_19

FNG
My friend and I are considering a DIY Sitka Blacktail hunt in either SE, Montague, or Kodiak. My dad did Olga Bay about 25 years ago, but other than that we don't have a good starting place. I'd like to do SE or POW, but we are pretty open to anyplace. (it'd be nice to kill a big black bear as well if the opportunity came up)

Anybody got a place for us start our planning.

Hey, New to the forum, 1st post! So I am by no means an expert but spent countless hours researching and decided to go to Kodiak early season last year. Cant share the exact spot but did a large write up on my Blog, http://www.hunts4two.com/. Hope this helps and feel fre to pm me with any questions. Cant wait to go back! Heard POW is great for a combo too!
Dan

Blackcod

FNG
What time of year? September hunts are most effective in the alpine where as November hunts have greater odds of buck harvest in lower elevations(often snow dependent). If hunting admiralty, Baranof, or chichagof; I would recommend not planning an October hunt for your first SE balcktail hunt. Bucks seem to be in a transition during that period for whatever reason. Feel free to contact me if you would like.

907-738-6030

OP
WRO

WRO

WKR
What time of year? September hunts are most effective in the alpine where as November hunts have greater odds of buck harvest in lower elevations(often snow dependent). If hunting admiralty, Baranof, or chichagof; I would recommend not planning an October hunt for your first SE balcktail hunt. Bucks seem to be in a transition during that period for whatever reason. Feel free to contact me if you would like.

907-738-6030

We are thinking august high country right now, that being said I will get in touch with you as we get closer to putting it together.