TN Canyon Buck - hunting Western style

This is exactly what I have in mind for this deer season in western NC. Stories like this just get my blood pumping ready for it. It's bow season right now so hopefully I can get a couple 3 day hunts in in the coming couple of weeks.

Lots of people don't employ the gutless method in NC because you have to call in your kill before skinning or dismembering.....not a lot of people get reception or carry a satellite phone.

Most of the places I've been I can find " enough" service to handle it. Verizon is actually pretty decent. It may be hit or miss but it'll work. I've also talked to a couple wardens and they said if the report card is at least punched it MAY be good until you can find service. It is kind of a crap shoot but it may be the only option if your a few miles back in. There isn't really an option of dragging a deer 3-4 miles in pisgah national forest around linville gorge. :)

Poser

WKR
I guess I should clarify. I often pack Whitetails out, but I do not use the gutless method because I eat the heart and liver and occasionally the kidneys, too. I also, generally out of curiosity, like to see what food source they've been eating.

ChrisS

WKR
I guess I should clarify. I often pack Whitetails out, but I do not use the gutless method because I eat the heart and liver and occasionally the kidneys, too. I also, generally out of curiosity, like to see what food source they've been eating.
I definitely take the heart. That's one of our best meals in the adirondacks ... fresh venison heart and fall oyster mushrooms picked during the hunt. Guys actually get chided (good natured)for destroying it by making heart shots.

rayporter

WKR
thanks for the write up.

you do have to read the regs real close sometimes.

Arkansas requires the head to be within arms reach until checked. and since no motors are allowed where we hunt is is a long hike up to the top to check in.

we have been camping in the same place on the buffalo river for 6 years and have never seen another hunter. we do see hikers but no hunters.

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
This is the first year in Wisconsin you can electronically register deer from the field. Up until the 2015 season you had to drag the carcass out to register. I might try to employ some backcountry hunting techniques myself this year. Having said that there aren't that many places where I hunt where you can hike way back in and not end up coming out the other side! LOL. The option to quarter an animal and pack out the meat will be nice to have.

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
Where are my manners... ? Awesome buck and nice photos. What caliber is the Marlin? I too hunt with a Marlin lever action in a 30-30 cal. Great gun, just have to make sure you fully work the action or risk a jam.