Kuiu's Grand Dru GTX Boot

Just got done watching the Kuiu live event and had a question about Kuiu's new boot, the Grand Dru GTX. Can anyone tell me the difference between the Kuiu Grand Dru GTX and Scarpa's Mont Blanc GTX? They appear to be the exact same boot, albeit in different colors. Really curious if there is any measurable difference, or if they were simply rebranded for a different market.

I'm really not interested in a Kuiu bashing thread, just looking to make an informed purchase. Thanks.

jm1607

WKR
I'm not sure but looks the same to me...

Why did he say they are the only importer when they have them at my local REI?

Mont Blanc GTX
Single-piece 3mm suede leather uppers remain resilient in demanding conditions;
HS12 tanning treatment adds water resistance and speeds dry time
Sock-Fit technology delivers a low-volume fit over the instep to enhance freedom of movement and save 0.5 Ibs. from the regular Mont Blanc GTX version
Stretch Gore-Tex®�linings with integrated gaiters keep your feet warm and dry so you can focus on the technical task at hand
Boot design facilitates dynamic flex and natural movement in uppers while maintaining a solid, stable platform underfoot; close-to-toe lacing provides a snug, responsive fit
Insulated Comfort polyester fibers and Pro-Fiber insoles create a barrier between your feet and the cold ground and air, helping to keep your feet warm
Sturdy polyurethane midsoles and supportive nylon shanks absorb shock without compromising sensitivity
Extended rand wraps the entire boot for increased protection against bumps and abrasion while rear heel slings lock heels in for secure performance
Vibram® rubber outsoles on the Scarpa Mont Blanc Pro GTX Mountaineering Boots ensure superb trail traction
Automatic and semi-automatic crampon compatible

Grand Dru GTX
• 2.18 lbs. per boot (size 42)
• 3 mm Suede Leather
• SCARPA HS12 Tanning Treatment
• Full Rubber Rand for added abrasion protection
• GORE-TEX Performance Comfort waterproof breathable membrane
• Pro Fiber XT 20 Insole provides perfect stiffness and support while maintaining the appropriate flexibility, sensitivity and comfort.
• Total Traction Midsole delivers the perfect balance between weight, cushioning, support and durability.
• Vibram Lug Sole with customized areas for Thrust, Braking, Max Grip and Self Cleaning
• SCARPA AG Last provides excellent toe shaping for climbing, fit, comfort, and heel hold
• Locking mid-point lace hook for bottom and top custom lacing
• Heel locking system provides superior lateral stability and prevents heel moving up
• Active impact Technology absorbs negative impact with the ground, increasing shock absorption
• Adjustable double tongue for a customized fit
• Flex Point Ergo zone allows natural angel variation between foot and leg during walking
• Semi-Automatic Crampon compatible for ultra-technical terrain
• High Resistance Treated Hardware
• High Cuff that keeps brush and snow out

Basically a lot of the same features. They look a little different when you compare them side by side (not just the colors). I believe he said they are the exclusive retailer for the Grand Dru, not Scarpa or the Mont Blanc. REI doesn't carry the Mont Blanc on their website.

I second Bigeasygator. I believe Jason was referring to being the only US based company selling the Grand Dru. Look like some nice boots for multi purporse use compared to the Zamberlans they were selling.

kodiakfly

WKR
I had a pair of the Mont Blancs, and at first sight, the toe lug on the MB is narrower and protrudes a bit more, and the ankle on the MB is little more than a neoprene sock. Which is why I got rid of them. They were comfortable, but they're a climbing and even vert ice boot. I was hoping my ankle would let me use them, but two hikes into it I knew I needed more "ankle." Went back to Lhotses and have been happy just like always.

But Scarpa makes a fine boot.

Interesting, they do look very similar. I have 5 seasons now into my Mont Blanc's and have used them exclusively for all my hiking/training and mountain hunts, and they still look to have many years of life left in them. I got mine at REI and used their 20% off coupon. At that time they retailed for around $420, so I ended up paying around $340 for them. The day I got them I had initially went in to buy the La Sportiva Nepal Evo GTX's, but after trying both pair on and walking around a bit, the Scarpa's felt better on my feet. Great boots for sure. I still have a hard time wrapping my mind around purchasing a pair of boots (having never tried them on) online. Of course you could always send them back for a full refund if they didn't fit correctly, but your still paying for shipping, at least one way if not two, and spending the time waiting for them to come in and then taking them back to the P.O. etc., is just not worth the hassle IMO.

Attachments

• grandrugtx-gforrest.jpg
    grandrugtx-gforrest.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 292
  • detail.jpg
    detail.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 281

jwb300

WKR
They do look similar but there seems to be a slightly different toe design on the Mont Blancs. Probably for a full crampon.

kodiakfly

WKR
They do look similar but there seems to be a slightly different toe design on the Mont Blancs. Probably for a full crampon.

Yeah, I just noticed that...at first look I though the GD had a front lug and they don't! So I guess it's still like I said...the MB front lug does stick out further! LOL

I'd guess they're made on the same lasts so if a MB fits you can try on a MB, the GD should fit.

jwb300

WKR
This from the kuiu site....

"The Grand Dru is uninsulated, the Mont Blanc is Insulated.

The Grand Dru is semi-automatic crampon compatible, the Mont Blanc is automatic crampon compatible (larger/heavier TPU toe insert).

The Grand Dru does not have a gasket around the back of the leg at the top of the boot, whereas the Mont Blanc has this gasket. This gives the Grand Dru better breathability (hot air can escape easier)."

MattB

WKR
I'm a little surprised Kuiu hasn't tried to work up or partner with someone on a Toray waterproofed boot over gore tex.

Boot manus probably don't want to have to give up Gor-Tex across their line-up and write-off the validation costs associated with becoming Gor-Tex certified, given it is the pre-eminent water-proof/breathable membrane for boots.

Yelp gortex just drops your licensing agreement if you add another waterproof breathable to your line like they did to REI few years a back.

Outdry works better in boots any way. Nothing worse then water getting saturated and water being trapped between fabric and bootie

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
Jason wanted to sell boots, which is a de facto decision to use Gor-Tex given the competitive landscape. Good business people rightly tend not to make strategic decisions based on emotion.

Did anyone get there hands on these boots at the shows? I'm needing to replace my Scarpa liskamm in the next year or so and can't decide between the triolet, mont blanc, and the Grand Dru?

No one?

Well for anyone that is interested, I talked to a sales rep. from scarpa in Italy and was told by him that the Dru is the same boots as the Mont Blanc minus some insulation, integrated gaiters and in a more friendly colour (grey and green) It will also be available from other retailers in NA by Nov/Dec 2o15.