My Rams….325 wsm

OP
325 wsm

325 wsm

FNG
I forgot to include this ram . I have had several opportunities while hunting by myself to shoot rams but this is the first one I ever decided to take solo.
I had set my tent camp on a mountain across the valley the day before opening. When I got up in the morning I spotted 2 rams on the mountain opposite my camp. I had to drop about 1500ft and then climb back up another 3000ft to get to them. After 3 hours of hiking and 2 hours of combing the peak they were on I could not locate them. Then I found a group of 13 rams on the next peak over but in a straight line not to much farther from my tent than where I was. There was not as much change in elevation and this pursuit would not require going below tree line again until heading back to the tent. Within an hour I was on the big flat where the rams were, but I couldnt find them. I assumed they were above me in some type of draw out of sight. As always I tend to look behind me when hunting and thats where I found them. They spotted me at about the same time from 300 yards away. They were now all exposed on a small ridge and bunched up rather tightly. Through the binos I was able to determine that 4 of the rams were legal. With none of the rams being hogs I decided to try and shoot the prettiest ram of the group, a couple others were definitely heavier and deeper curled but I like to leave those so they can get bigger and breed more. I layed down my pack down for a rest and got set up quickly as they were getting a bit spooky. They turned and started away from me down over a ridge. When the ram I selected was headed over and afforded a clear shot I fired. It was a Texas heart shot but the only chance I had. Having shot enough animals I new how deadly this shot can be and my only concern with taking it was loosing some of the meat from the hind quarter. After the shot all the rams disappeared quickly over the ridge. I ran down as quick as I could to the ridge and from there started to see the rams dodging in and out of small gullies to dissapear over the last ridge. I counted the rams as they dissapeared over the last ridge and looked closely for any signs of blood on them. I counted 12 over about 30 seconds. I determined my ram must be in one of the gullies below me. Soon I found a great blood trail and only 50 yds farther in the first gullie was my solo ram. A beautiful 37 incher. I full caped then deboned him and carried him about a mile down a well defined sheep trail. I then burried him under rocks and placed a large orange garbage bag in a willow tree next to him and headed back to my tent. In the morning I packed my camp and gear back to the lake, dropped it off and then went back up to retrieve my ram on the other mountain.

waterrat

FNG
325,,real nice write-ups,, you could easily match the writings of most of the scribes out there these days. I especially like the last or solo hunt, they really are the finest way to harvest a trophy ram!