Kifaru Parka

colonel00

WKR
10922760_10153490240053835_7292635463323986352_n.jpg

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Once we have the final production we will have the weights and all the other detailed info. Its super light tho :)

OP
D

DaveC

WKR
There are some pretty big reasons to prefer an Apex insulated coat over anything else on the market. Primaloft is a hair more efficient insulator per unit, but breaks down fairly fast under heavy use. Polartec Alpha (which I assume the Kuiu Kenai insulation is a copy of) works well, but is absolutely not as warm as Primaloft of a equivalent weight (not that it's intended to be). The more air-permeable shells Alpha coats use to enhance their moisture transfer abilities are also inherently less warm.

Apex has been relegated to quilts and bags because it doesn't drape especially well and it's a bit bulkier than Primaloft, both of which are not so desirable for the mall but very desirable in the field. Big kudos to Kifaru for using it.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There are some pretty big reasons to prefer an Apex insulated coat over anything else on the market. Primaloft is a hair more efficient insulator per unit, but breaks down fairly fast under heavy use. Polartec Alpha (which I assume the Kuiu Kenai insulation is a copy of) works well, but is absolutely not as warm as Primaloft of a equivalent weight (not that it's intended to be). The more air-permeable shells Alpha coats use to enhance their moisture transfer abilities are also inherently less warm.

Apex has been relegated to quilts and bags because it doesn't drape especially well and it's a bit bulkier than Primaloft, both of which are not so desirable for the mall but very desirable in the field. Big kudos to Kifaru for using it.
Thanks Dave.....you saved me from typing all of that on my phone!

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Any idea on total weight and how small this can compress to? Would this be an alternative/replacement for a puffy jacket?

Joe
It is a puffy/insulating jacket, but this one is more versatile since it can be worn as an outer layer.

It will compress smaller than a Nalgene bottle.

Final weight will be posted next week.

7mag.

WKR
That looks pretty sweet. Maybe I missed it, but, what is the outer shell material?

Edit: You beat me to it.