Kifaru Parka

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
They do have a drawstring cord.

Wore mine again today bear hunting. Its going to be a close race for my favorite synthetic puffy, First Lite or Kifaru??

ppreston

FNG

Wore mine again today bear hunting. Its going to be a close race for my favorite synthetic puffy, First Lite or Kifaru??

Ryan, with your experience thus far, would you be able to comment on how wind resistant / proof the jacket is?

Understanding the design of the jacket was to allow for the hunter to leave behind a layer, I'm still very interested in seeing how the puffy layers with a hardshell for late season rain and wet snow.

Thanks!

Craig4791

WKR

Going to have to pick one up now! Especially since I burnt my first lite on the kifaru stove pipe last year. Maybe it was trying to tell me something...

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Ryan, with your experience thus far, would you be able to comment on how wind resistant / proof the jacket is?

Understanding the design of the jacket was to allow for the hunter to leave behind a layer, I'm still very interested in seeing how the puffy layers with a hardshell for late season rain and wet snow.

Thanks!

I have worn this jacket into the woods about 10 times. Its the most wind resistant jacket I have worn. Its not as breathable as the First Lite puffy, your not going to hike very far with this on. One other thing about the Rhino Skin. I am a very lazy backpacker so I rarely get out my shelter until I am getting poured on. I have slept in a drizzle more than once with my slick bag, never had it leak. I know it's not waterproof but this material is damn water resistant.

Last edited:

ppreston

FNG
I have worn this jacket into the woods about 10 times. Its the most wind resistant jacket I have worn. Its not as breathable as the First Lite puffy, your not going to hike very far with this on. One other thing about the Rhino Skin. I am a very lazy backpacker so I rarely get out my shelter until I am getting poured on. I have slept in a drizzle more than once with my slick bag, never had it leak. I know it's not waterproof but this material is damn water resistant.

Thanks Ryan, much appreciated.

By the sounds of it, I should stop debating the purchase and just man up. Now for the color / pattern...

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member

Most useful review I've seen yet.

Is it water resistant enough to leave your rain gear in the truck?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Most useful review I've seen yet.

Is it water resistant enough to leave your rain gear in the truck?

I hate walking with a rain shell on. So for me, yes. But I always have a tarp of some sort with me if I need to get out of a hard rain. To many variables to speak for everyone else.

To me this is the perfect glassing puffy. Cuts wind extremely well, really water resistant and very warm. I really didn't think I would like the front pocket but after a few long cold glassing sessions, it might be my favorite feature..... Only negatives, its a pullover and it's a little noisy.

This is a prototype. The jackets being sold now have Apex Climashield which is warmer than the one I'm rokin.

JP100

WKR
I hate walking with a rain shell on. So for me, yes. But I always have a tarp of some sort with me if I need to get out of a hard rain. To many variables to speak for everyone else.

To me this is the perfect glassing puffy. Cuts wind extremely well, really water resistant and very warm. I really didn't think I would like the front pocket but after a few long cold glassing sessions, it might be my favorite feature..... Only negatives, its a pullover and it's a little noisy.

This is a prototype. The jackets being sold now have Apex Climashield which is warmer than the one I'm rokin.

How do you find the durability? as in glassing on rocks? my main issue with "puffy" jackets are they can rip easily while lying on sharp rocks.
I suppose with the insulation being one big piece it would be alot better even if it did get holes in it and opposed to traditional style jacket with chambers of insulation.

ppreston

FNG

Ryan, can you compare how much more noisy the Lost Park is to other down / insulated jackets (e.g. FL Uncompahgre, Sitka Kelvin, etc)? I'd be using for bowhunting, so noise is definitely a concern of mine.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
JP100, I would say its on the upper end for durability. My son has beat the crap out of his slick bag. Hopping across a camp ground to go to another tent in the bag. There was broken glass and sharp rocks all over. I thought for sure the bag would be shredded. I have taken the puffy on a couple serious brush busting trips, it has yet to rip. The material is very similar to the First lite puffy and I have shot in the prone on rocks quite a bit, it hasn't ripped yet. It will burn though:)

PPreston, its about the same as the FL jacket and Kuiu Superdown. I personally wouldn't bow hunt(stalk) with it on. But that could be said for most puffys IMO.

7stw

WKR
I ordered mine one the first night they where available. Got a shipping conformation Tuesday evening and ups shows it to be delivered on Thursday. My order email said may. So they are getting them out. Excited to get it in.

7stw

WKR
Ups just delivered my parka. Initial thoughts, I'm super impressed with the attention to detail and overall quality of the garment. I'm 6'2" 198-201 depending on the day and I ordered a large. I've got longer than average arms of most guys of my build. (My wing span is 6'5" ) so I was worried foremost about sleeve length. The lost lake parka provides me with ample sleeve length. I can feel no binding or restriction to my range of motion what so ever. Even pulled down over my watch when stretching my arms it stays put. The condura type material on the pocket and sleeves should help tremendously with durability. Torso length is great for me as well.(not too short and not to long both bother me) Wish there was at least Velcro to keep the items in the pocket somewhat secure. My primary reason for purchasing this parka was to wear as an outer layer in the winter at work. (I manage a cow calf ranch in Oklahoma ) and for that I feel it will be nearly perfect. It's to warm to wear any right now and sitting in the lab typing this review I'm getting hot with it and a cotton blend ls shirt on. Only real complaint is the color. I ordered the tan and on this material it is a little more gold than tan. The lining material (condura type) is closer to carhartt duck drown. The rest of the jacket not so much. Overall extremely satisfied with this parka. Can't wait for it to get cold enough agin to enjoy it this fall. A bunch of guys have asked about fabric noise. For muzzle loader or rifle hunting it should be fine. Archery maybe not. Here on the plains where it's always windy even predator hunting it should work great. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429814691.496518.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1429814707.478374.jpg posted a couple pics of me wearing it to give guys still unsure about sizing a better idea. First kifaru product I've owned and so far extremely satisfied.

Throc

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered mine on the 16th with an expected ship date of May 15th. Got my shipping notification Tuesday night and should be here on Monday. They're definitely shipping them faster than they were anticipating.

ppreston

FNG
Ups just delivered my parka. Initial thoughts, I'm super impressed with the attention to detail and overall quality of the garment. I'm 6'2" 198-201 depending on the day and I ordered a large. I've got longer than average arms of most guys of my build. (My wing span is 6'5" ) so I was worried foremost about sleeve length. The lost lake parka provides me with ample sleeve length. I can feel no binding or restriction to my range of motion what so ever. Even pulled down over my watch when stretching my arms it stays put. The condura type material on the pocket and sleeves should help tremendously with durability. Torso length is great for me as well.(not too short and not to long both bother me) Wish there was at least Velcro to keep the items in the pocket somewhat secure. My primary reason for purchasing this parka was to wear as an outer layer in the winter at work. (I manage a cow calf ranch in Oklahoma ) and for that I feel it will be nearly perfect. It's to warm to wear any right now and sitting in the lab typing this review I'm getting hot with it and a cotton blend ls shirt on. Only real complaint is the color. I ordered the tan and on this material it is a little more gold than tan. The lining material (condura type) is closer to carhartt duck drown. The rest of the jacket not so much. Overall extremely satisfied with this parka. Can't wait for it to get cold enough agin to enjoy it this fall. A bunch of guys have asked about fabric noise. For muzzle loader or rifle hunting it should be fine. Archery maybe not. Here on the plains where it's always windy even predator hunting it should work great. View attachment 24860View attachment 24861 posted a couple pics of me wearing it to give guys still unsure about sizing a better idea. First kifaru product I've owned and so far extremely satisfied.

7stw - Can you comment on how much room you have for layering underneath? I see that you ordered a large, which is the size that was recommended to me (I'm 5'9" 180lb and rather wide up top). Thanks!

7stw

WKR
I've got quite a bit of room for layering. A couple of merino tops and a spindrift or a guide vest would fit underneath. As warm as this seems I prob won't need to many layers under it.

ppreston

FNG
I've got quite a bit of room for layering. A couple of merino tops and a spindrift or a guide vest would fit underneath. As warm as this seems I prob won't need to many layers under it.

Thanks. This makes me think a medium would provide a better fit for me.

LazyV

Lil-Rokslider
7stw you had me concerned I was gonna look like a gold nugget walking around once mine got here. I got it yesterday and it's the same color as my slick bag, but I see what you mean. I'm 5'10"/195 and a L fits like a glove. There is room underneath for a couple layers but it'd have to be awfully damned cold to put much under it. Granted I've only worn it for a few hours outside but it's clearly a great jacket. Only downside I see to it besides the cost is I don't think it's gonna pack down as well as a spindrift. But even if it doesn't it's so much warmer it will be worth it.

wilkes

Lil-Rokslider
Got my shipping notification last week so it shouldn't be far off! Will get some pics up and a little review after it arrives.

I'm just getting into bow hunting, so I might throw scout vest over the top when using the bow to minimise noise.