Boot Month on Rokslide

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Hey members, just a heads up. We're starting Boot Month late next week on Rokslide.

"What in tarntions is Boot Month?", you're thinking.

Select Rokslide staff and members have spent the last six months testing boots, hikers, and shoes in the backcountry from Alaska to Colorado in sunny and 75 to minus 15 and snowing. Starting next week, we'll feature all the feedback (and more) during Boot Month.

The articles and reviews are in and being uploaded as I write this. You'll have a the full monty on what worked great, what needs some tweaking, and what to skip.

We've also paired up with some sponsors like Lathrop & Sons, Black Ovis, and Schnee's to offer up some killer giveaways to Rokslide members.

So stay tuned, watch the forum, the Rok Blog, Facebook, and our new eNewsletter for the announcement. Please help spread the news.

attachment.php

Last edited:

JCT

FNG
Timely is exactly right. I'm looking to get some new tires myself and Im pretty tired of "making due" with pronghorns.
Anxiously waiting.
Regards
JT

mullmann

Lil-Rokslider
JCT I am right there with you. Bought my danner pronghorns for wyoming in 2012 and loved them. Idaho Elk in 2013 walking through snow and they soaked up a ton of moisture. I bought leather cream for waterproofing and this past december on my coues hunt in AZ they soaked water again and it was barely wet out. Can't wait to read the reviews.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
What I'm learning on boots is to figure your cost per day of use, not the total cost of the boot. Seems over the years, plus working at Rokslide, a cheaper pair of boots might be $140 and I'll get maybe 30 good days (no leaks, still functioning) so $4.67 per day of use.

Jump up to a $280 boot, if I get 60 good days, then I'm break even (still $4.67 per day) but with less frustration. If I go beyond 60, I'm making money. So far, the more expensive boots I've owned have hit break even with more performance.

Slim Jim

WKR
Does anyone now who stretches boots? I've found a great pair of boots that I'll be using 75% of the time but I also have a pair of Scarpa triolets that I would like to use but they rub my pinky toes real bad. I figured that if I could stretch the toe box a bit that I could start using them on my big backcountry hunts when I have a heavy load

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I know Lathrop does, but probably for the boots they sell. I've seen a few leather repair shops around with boot stretchers.

JCT

FNG
Mull, sounds about right, I love the pronghorns fresh out of the box feel. Utah some years back and they were great! Until day 8 that is.
Hiked up through a grassy, dew laden meadow and they were done. Soaked.
Mr.Dennings equation is one way of thinking I've never considered? I like that method of thinking. I've always thought "how long until these hunting boots become my everyday work boots?"
280.00 for a dam good boot doesn't scare me away, it's the 600.00 boots that my feet will most likely never see.
I am looking forward to this review very much, maybe it'll change my way of thinking.
Regards
JT

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Mull, sounds about right, I love the pronghorns fresh out of the box feel. Utah some years back and they were great! Until day 8 that is.
Hiked up through a grassy, dew laden meadow and they were done. Soaked.
Mr.Dennings equation is one way of thinking I've never considered? I like that method of thinking. I've always thought "how long until these hunting boots become my everyday work boots?"
280.00 for a dam good boot doesn't scare me away, it's the 600.00 boots that my feet will mostly likely never see.
I am looking forward to this review very much, maybe it'll change my way of thinking.
Regards
JT

Ya, at $600 I need to get 128 days out of 'em to break even. Could happen but I can't say I'll be trying that equation out very soon.

bobhunts

WKR
I can't wait to see it! Trying to find a boot that actually fits is more than half of the battle. Can't say how many quality boots I have bought based on reviews and they just do not fit. All of them are good boots but everyone has to play around and see what works for themselves! Be curious to see how my brand, that I settled on... that fit, stack up, if they are in the review. I'm sure there are others too that will not be in the review.

Clarktar

WKR
Slim, there is a place right next door to me that does boot work. Anderrsons boots in bozeman.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
So far, the more expensive boots I've owned have hit break even with more performance.

I use the same formulas for just about everything I use........especially vehicle tires. The Michelin LTX's for my F-350 hurt when I pay for them, but when I can get a year + more miles out of them than others I've used.......they're worth it. Same for boots. The best I've used the last few years are Crispi's and Zamberlans......and still using them.

Backyard

WKR
Does anyone now who stretches boots? I've found a great pair of boots that I'll be using 75% of the time but I also have a pair of Scarpa triolets that I would like to use but they rub my pinky toes real bad. I figured that if I could stretch the toe box a bit that I could start using them on my big backcountry hunts when I have a heavy load

Be careful when stretching boots. I had a nice pair a few years back. Had the same problem, had em stretched, fit real nice after. But they leaked like a siv ever since. Spent ten days with wet feet.
Learn a lessen...

Slim Jim

WKR
Be careful when stretching boots. I had a nice pair a few years back. Had the same problem, had em stretched, fit real nice after. But they leaked like a siv ever since. Spent ten days with wet feet.
Learn a lessen...

I'll probably just sell them. Thanks

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

Slim I've used ski boot places to punch out hot spots. They have always done mine without heating them and I've not noticed leaking. Not sure you could the whole foot box done but defiantly could make room one side or the other. Google it up might be an option

bobhunts

WKR
All of the reviews will be a good read and I for one will be looking to see what others have said regarding what they have had on there feet! Boots to me are like opinions..everyone has one and everyone has to find the one that actually fits there feet. I have spent more money on boots than clothing ..well pretty close but not so. If you find a quality boot that fits share it! One has to find different models within a brand also. Some do not stack up like others! Waiting to see it! Bob.