I have a few specific questions on a POW Blacktail hunt.

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I am in the process of planning a POW black tail hunt, but I have a few questions and concerns. Right now our basic plan is to fly to Ketchikan Ak and Jump on a float plane and be dropped off at a lake away from the road system. My first questions is about keeping the meat good for a week. I was thinking we could take heavy duty trash bags and sink the meat in the lake we are camping on, but I am not sure if the water will be cold enough? Secondly my other question is. Should we get dropped off at a lake with a Forrest service cabin and use it as a spike camp. Do those areas get over hunted? Or should we use a kifaru tipi and get dropped off on a lake that gets less pressure? My final area of question is. Are the bugs bad on the island in August and September? Thanks

I would rent a vehicle in KET, then take the Ferry across. Once there, you will be much more mobile. Find a camping spot and then spike out from there up to the tops of nearby mountains for a few days at a time. If you fly into a lake, you will be stuck on that lake for the duration of your hunt... Not a bad thing if there are plenty of deer around, but could be if there is not.

I haven't been there in Aug or Sep so I cannot comment on the bugs, I do know the deer will be in "goat" country that time of year and I'd guess the bugs wouldn't be too bad since it will likely be raining on you most of the time :)

I've had bad luck sinking meat into lakes/streams. The bags always seem to get a hole in them, but if you are able to do that I'd bet the water temp would be just fine. Meat, if left in the shade, kept dry and if it has air flow will easily last a week without any issues.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

ryno_19

FNG
I am in the process of planning a POW black tail hunt, but I have a few questions and concerns. Right now our basic plan is to fly to Ketchikan Ak and Jump on a float plane and be dropped off at a lake away from the road system. My first questions is about keeping the meat good for a week. I was thinking we could take heavy duty trash bags and sink the meat in the lake we are camping on, but I am not sure if the water will be cold enough? Secondly my other question is. Should we get dropped off at a lake with a Forrest service cabin and use it as a spike camp. Do those areas get over hunted? Or should we use a kifaru tipi and get dropped off on a lake that gets less pressure? My final area of question is. Are the bugs bad on the island in August and September? Thanks

So I was on Kodiak this past august/september, We packed the meat back to camp, hung the meat, sprayed it with Alaska Game saver (you can get at the sporting goods store in town) and let it dry for a few hours before processing it and placing it into gallon Ziploc bags. We placed the Ziploc bags into heavy duty 3-mil garbage bags and zip tied them shut making sure to get as much air out as we could and then sink it in a stream behind our camp. I used mesh Fruit bags to place rocks in to sink the meat. I didnt have a temp read but it was cold enough for 5 days and the meat is excellent. Good luck

Dan

www.hunts4two.com

Been to Ket a couple times. I would definitely rent a rig and ferry over to POW isl. I would NOT fly in as then your STUCK somewhere with only your feet to get you somewhere.
Some of the FS cabins have access only by boats that are stashed at lakes. I spent two summers in Ket working at ec phillips. IT RAINED,,,, alot! so bring the best rain gear you can buy, AND some good boots. Hip waders would not be a bad idea either as you will probably need to cross a few streams here and there.
Bear spray,,,ya... bring it. Lots o bear on POW isl.
Bring your fishing gear too, if its a "pink year" you can catch 100+ a day easy just casting and jiging a spoon in the tidewaters, Would be great way to pass the time if you tag out early. ALso silvers are running good Mid AUg to end of sept.
Remember if your near the beach, the tides are HUGE up there. Plan for it if you are across an inlet or something. Its a BITCH to bushwhack across an brushy inlet at high tide. Trust me on that one!

Bugs,, not much for skeeters there that I can recall but there are those little tiny black gnats that are a pain.... gazillions of them, flies too.

Bob

Lil-Rokslider
Good info already given...I was there in August/September. Bugs aren't bad up high, not terrible down low, but very noticeable. Consider corks, very slick & wet! It would be tough to day hunt from down low, like Nick said spend a couple days up in the alpine & plan on loosing days because of visibility. Fishing is great, I limited out on coho's in an hour & a half...May want to put in for a bear tag.

OP
KINGSNAKE

KINGSNAKE

WKR
If we rent a truck and hunt from lower elevations how long does it take to hike to get up high with the deer early. Do we have to draw for a bear tag or are they otc? Thanks for all the replies. I think Kodiak could be a possibility any pros or cons from POW to Kodiak?

1) Getting from low to high, via the road system... All depends on where you go... We made it up top every single day we planned to hunt up there fairly quick and that was in November with snow/rain.

2) Bear is a draw and while we saw a few (one was the biggest Black Bear I've ever seen) I wouldn't worry about spray (personally) or a tag, focus on deer, you'll need that.

3) You will no doubt see more deer on Kodiak, mainly because you will be able to glass a long ways. If you go early in the season on POW (August), the deer will be located in the apline and much easier to hunt (IMO). When I go back, it will be in Aug.

Renting a truck is a great way to do this hunt, you'll have more options than one may think.

Spend a few days at a time up top and you will have a great hunt. We came back to a cabin most nights but also bivy'd for several days. Buy the best/lightest rain gear you can afford and plan to be in it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited:
OP
KINGSNAKE

KINGSNAKE

WKR
Thanks Nick. Sounds like a truck rental is the way to go. I wasn't planning on a bear tag but my buddy may have bought one if it was otc. Is kuiu Yukon rain gear light enough for an August hunt? I have grundens lightweight stuff but it doesn't breath at all. I would still take it to use some of the time but I don't think it would be good.to climb a mountain in.

IMO, I think the Yukon rain gear is going to leave you sweating your tail off. You will be hiking a lot, up and down, so pit zips and legs zips to release a bunch of heat will be key. My buddy wore the Yukon for a November hunt and it worked well, he also had a place to dry it out each night which helped a lot. The lighter, one layer rain gear is a better option in most cases. YMMV

OP
KINGSNAKE

KINGSNAKE

WKR
Thanks for the info torleif. I think a trip like this deserves a week of hunting with travel on each side. As far as time year I haven't got that far yet. The early season sounds a pealing because of the deer being more visible in the alpine.

For what it's worth, the area of the Island we hunted, in 9 days we saw one other truck and one group of 3 hunters on the last day... They asked me how I found thier "secret" place as I was packing out my buck, I just smiled and talked with them for a bit, very nice people... We found it by looking at maps and hiking our tails off. I think a fly in would be awesome, if you can find the "right" place to do it but having the road system at your disposal has it's Pro's too.

Broomd

WKR
Been to Ket a couple times. I would definitely rent a rig and ferry over to POW isl. I would NOT fly in as then your STUCK somewhere with only your feet to get you somewhere.
Some of the FS cabins have access only by boats that are stashed at lakes. I spent two summers in Ket working at ec phillips. IT RAINED,,,, alot! so bring the best rain gear you can buy, AND some good boots. Hip waders would not be a bad idea either as you will probably need to cross a few streams here and there.
Bear spray,,,ya... bring it. Lots o bear on POW isl.
Bring your fishing gear too, if its a "pink year" you can catch 100+ a day easy just casting and jiging a spoon in the tidewaters, Would be great way to pass the time if you tag out early. ALso silvers are running good Mid AUg to end of sept.
Remember if your near the beach, the tides are HUGE up there. Plan for it if you are across an inlet or something. Its a BITCH to bushwhack across an brushy inlet at high tide. Trust me on that one!

Bugs,, not much for skeeters there that I can recall but there are those little tiny black gnats that are a pain.... gazillions of them, flies too.

Some excellent advice here. I can also relate to most, if not all of it. ..................... PLAN AHEAD.

OP
KINGSNAKE

KINGSNAKE

WKR
Thanks for all the help guys. This would be a backup plan if we don't draw new mexico elk tags this year or next. I still think a fly in hunt would be awesome. My biggest concern is having boots that will keep my feet dry that I can hike in. My Lowa Rangers are good hikers but they leak like a siv.

OP
KINGSNAKE

KINGSNAKE

WKR
The more I read the more I like the sounds of a November kodiak hunt. I like the winter coats and I like to glass. Thick forest frustrates me. The biggest concern is the brown bears. What would be the best way to hunt kodiak. Cabin rental or a fly in hunt.

duchntr

WKR
ADF&G is a great resource for the info your seeking,However in general the deer move lower when the food sources are covered. My advice is to narrow down what time of year you want to go, early season deer are high, later season deer are lower. Then start looking at maps pick spots that are hard to get to i.e. places that will deter others, the more leather you burn the better chance you have at finding bigger bucks

TEmbry

WKR
While they are the same animal... A November Kodiak hunt and an August POW hunt are about as polar opposite as you can get.

OP
KINGSNAKE

KINGSNAKE

WKR
My hunting partners and I have been talking more about this hunt and we are wondering how the deer numbers are on Kodiak island right now. Also does anyone have a recommendation on what air taxi to use. I am thinking about an early season hunt up high still but on Kodiak.

They are just fine (deer numbers on Kodiak).

Plenty of air taxi's to choose from. North River Air, Seahawk, Andrews, etc... All depends on how much you want to spend, how much you want to bring and where you want to get dropped off.