I have a few specific questions on a POW Blacktail hunt.

Bighorse

WKR
POW deer numbers are fine too. Both locations are good for an adventure. If you want less travel legs, pick POW. As far as truck, ferry vs. charter float plane......You decide. It's hunting and there are no guarantee in any location. You could just as easily drive and ferry over and get locked out of the alpine by clouds as when you fly over. If your strong and capable a high country lake drop can be an excellent adventure. Heck your flying into remote country aboard a sweet plane in Alaska durring prime time. Pack a few choice adult beverages. Oil your boots and gun and get after it! If the deer were sitting at your tent door that would hardly be even worth it. Roam around, use your sweet high tech equipment, tell stories, breath hard, shoot a gun, and get to packing.

Use high performace 30L thick drybags over your trashbags and set them in a moving water source. Just make sure before you bag it you get that meat temp down quick. So stay in the alpine for a night next to a snow bank with your meat before hiking down. Keep it clean durring the butcher processing too.Then it will be fine.

OP
KINGSNAKE

KINGSNAKE

WKR
Does anyone have any recommendations on how we can get our meet frozen on POW or Ketichikan to fly it home. We are thinking about trying to get a day of halibut fishing in on the end of the trip so we would need that frozen as well.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone have any recommendations on how we can get our meet frozen on POW or Ketichikan to fly it home. We are thinking about trying to get a day of halibut fishing in on the end of the trip so we would need that frozen as well.

I know for a fact that the Best Western in Ketchikan has a walk in freezer. We put Rubbermaid totes with our boned out meat inside overnight on our last POW trip, so it was all frozen for our flight back to Anchorage the following day. Many hotels in AK have freezers for folks to use, best to call and check ahead of time. Usually as long as they have space available and everything is contained (I.e. Not leaking) then it's no problem.

OP
KINGSNAKE

KINGSNAKE

WKR
Thank you very much. I looked up hotels and they were on my list so that would work out awesome.

OP
KINGSNAKE

KINGSNAKE

WKR
Does anyone have a raingear recommendation for a POW alpine hunt in mid august. Should I go with multiple sets? The hunt is only five months away so it's time to get serious about buying more gear. Thanks

OP
KINGSNAKE

KINGSNAKE

WKR
Does anyone know if there is a place on POW island that we can get jet boil fuel? Or should we go to Walmart in Ketichikan before we ferry over.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone know if there is a place on POW island that we can get jet boil fuel? Or should we go to Walmart in Ketichikan before we ferry over.

I would imagine it's possible to find fuel somewhere on the island, but I would recommend buying it in KET if possible. The stores on POW were small in my experience, and they charge a high premium on everything. Ketchikan is the 4th largest town in AK, and will have a lot more options at much lower prices. I would plan to buy as many of your other food/snack commodities there as well.

curly

FNG
Log Cabin Sporting Goods in Craig always has it in stock and reasonably priced!

OP
KINGSNAKE

KINGSNAKE

WKR
so you're sayin I should go with Kuiu chugach instead. Or something else I have time to change my back order.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
For me Alaska and internal combustion engines (except float planes) are an oxymoron. I would choose a fly-in and boots personally. I have hunted Kodiak twice and POW once. All lake fly-ins.We found deer to be in the alpine on POW early Sept. Only saw 2 bears in 10 days. Bears are a tough draw now. Bugs were not a concern on out trip and yes, you need good rain gear. If you decide to fly in PM me and I will tell you one place NOT to go.

Personally, I wouldn't wear the Yukon rain gear in the earlier season, but maybe you have some experience with it to warrant it. Good, lightweight rain gear would be my choice, the Yukon is a bit heavier than what I'd like.

Torleif

FNG
+1 for Log Cabin in Craig. Prices are actually better than Ketchikan on a lot of the stuff and they stock the right stuff. No doubt they have isopro.

OP
KINGSNAKE

KINGSNAKE

WKR
Thought I would give you a quick update. Got my Yukon jacket a while back. I tested it out and sure enough the jacket zipper leaked way too easy for a jacket of that caliber for me. KUIU returned it for me and I ended up with a first lite jacket. It is way lighter than the Yukon and it has pressure tested waterproof zippers. I did keep the Yukon pants. I do like them.

Anyone have advice for cape care while on POW island. Should we pack salt (if so, how much salt)? Are there other techniques out there?

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
We are headed to Kodiak in just over a month and our plan is to treat it like the meat, keep it as dry and cold as possible and spray it with some citric acid to slow bacteria growth.
Those that know better please chime in!

Anyone have advice for cape care while on POW island. Should we pack salt (if so, how much salt)? Are there other techniques out there?

Salting in the field, unless you are able to really flesh the hide properly, is not the best idea. Keep it cool, like the meat and you'll be just fine.