Boot Month: Review Lathrop & Sons Tech-Lite Hunter by Luke Moffat

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Rokslide prostaffer Luke Moffat spends a bunch of time and miles in the Alaskan backcountry, so no better person to give us a review on L&S's Tech-Lite Hunter:
http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/footwear/320-lathrop-son-s-tech-lite-hunter-review

Show us the money Luke!

Also, Lathrop & Sons is showing Rokslide members the money by refunding the purchase price on any pair of their boots purchased between January 16th and February 16th. You must call in and order a boot/footbed combination in that time-frame to be entered. You need to provide your Rokslide user name and let the folks at Lathrop & Son’s know you are participating in the Rokslide promotion when buying. Stephen will throw all the names in a hat, draw one, and that lucky hunter will get his full purchase price refunded. Odds are dependent on total sales, but should be good!
http://www.lathropandsons.com/ 1-618-544-8782

Thanks L&S!

Last edited:

Clarktar

WKR
Thanks Luke. Our experiences are very similar, the difference being you probably have 5 times the miles on your boots than I. I also had the Lowa Hunters, and loved them. I was decided to try the Tech Lites for hoping for a stiffer, and lighter boot, without insulation. I am very happy with the Tech Lites. Took some breaking in for me, but they are great thus far. Just need to purchase the Hunters as well, as there are times when I would like the additional 1.5'' of height, and some insulation.

Thanks!

FYI guys Last 3 days of the Illinois whitetail season! So as you can imagine James and I will have bow in hand treestand her we come.
If you miss us leave a message we will get back with you on Monday. Have a great weekend.

Great sounding boots. Thanks for the review. Would like to hear how they hold up (waterproof) wise over the year. I'm a full leather boot guy as well.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Well I have had these over a year now and so far so good. One thing nice about a non-all leather boots is when you do go over the boot tops they dry out a lot sooner.

Slim Jim

WKR
Great write up Luke. You should start writing for some of the hunting magazines because you know how to keep the interest of the reader.

Well I have had these over a year now and so far so good. One thing nice about a non-all leather boots is when you do go over the boot tops they dry out a lot sooner.

Good to hear. Do you notice they take on more or less water weight as in the leather soaking up moisture?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Great write up Luke. You should start writing for some of the hunting magazines because you know how to keep the interest of the reader.

Thank you for the compliment sir!!! I have never submitted anything to the hunting mags honestly. I feel they want higher profile folks than myself that command a better attention of the general audience than some shmuck from Alaska.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Good to hear. Do you notice they take on more or less water weight as in the leather soaking up moisture?

I don't know....I can go soak a Lowa Hunter GTX and a Tech-Light and see which weighs more or gains more weight if you'd like.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Only if you wash the tub out afterwards! It's the off season, so it should stay clean ;)

Robby...you are a bad influence!

Becca don't worry, Robby is buying the drinks on Thursday night!!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Ok boss its done! :)

I dunked each boot underwater in the tub for 60 seconds completely submerged. Then let both drip dry upside down for 60 seconds before tossing them on the scale.

Results:

Lowa Tech-Lite Hunter was 29.2 oz dry in the article in my shoe size. After being dunked for 60 seconds and then 60 seconds of drip dry it came up to 33.5 oz after the soaking. Or an increase of 4.3 oz.

Lowa Hunter GTXs were 38.4 oz dry. After soaking for 60 seconds sumberged and a 60 second drip dry upside down the boot weighed in at 44.4 oz or an increase of 6 oz even in water weight when weight.

And a special thanks goes to Robby Denning who has volunteered to fly up to Alaska to clean my bathtub now! :)

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Before you clean it you need to drain the tub to ankle depth, dry both boots out, then put a different boot on each foot, stand in the tub, and see which foot gets wet first. :)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
HAHA nah I think I will let someone do that. Packing for SHOT so.....I know, no dedication, but thats ok ;)