Arctic Oven vs Barneys Bomb Shelter

SDHNTR

WKR
Considering these two. I don't sleep well in a flapping tent, especially when I'm worried about it failing me. Want the last tent I will buy. So anybody have experience with both? Pros and cons? Condensation? Wind resistance? Durability? Waterproof qualities? The Barneys is several hundred cheaper, is the AO worth more? Thanks.

dieNqvrs

Lil-Rokslider
I spent 10 days on Kodiak in an AO. It was a 10x10 with 2 guys total and we each had cots. We had another small 3 man tent for food and extra gear. There were no trees or place to put them out of the wind. We had them staked and guyed out at every possible location. In high winds the AO still moved and shook but never flapped. It stood up to the wind with no noticed problems. The inner lining material is fantastic. Had wet clothes inside drying everyday and the inside always felt dry to the touch. Rain fly is designed very well. The 3 main flapped and got rain inside. We used a propane portable buddy heater to keep warm and help dry clothes in the AO. I know the AO tents are expensive, but it was the best tent I have ever used for those conditions. I would not hesitate to use it again in a second. The 10 x 10 would have been tight for more than 2 guys, not impossible, just not comfortable.

I think there's a big difference between a Bomb Shelter and an AO. I've used both the AO Arktika and a BS 10x10 and the AO is a much more stout structure. Alaska Tent and Tarp offer a pole package, I think it's called the extreme, that's super stout and aside from being in a stick frame building, I don't think you could do much better. The Arktika was specifically designed for the conditions that tend to be common on Kodiak and the Alaska Penninsula. The BS I used belonged to a buddy and it no longer exists, at least the frame no longer exists, because it got destroyed in a storm on Kodiak one night. I've weathered some pretty severe storms on Kodiak in an AO and nothing on it has even showed any sign of beginning to fail. Not indestructable, but as close as your going to get in a tent. They are spendy, but sometimes it's worth spending the extra money one time and being done with it.

Arctic Oven... I can't wait to get one, awesome tents. Likely using one next month for Musk Ox.

Your not packing this one around, are ya :)

Daniel_M

WKR
Considering these two. I don't sleep well in a flapping tent, especially when I'm worried about it failing me. Want the last tent I will buy. So anybody have experience with both? Pros and cons? Condensation? Wind resistance? Durability? Waterproof qualities? The Barneys is several hundred cheaper, is the AO worth more? Thanks.

What's your intended purpose with it?

No experience with a bomb Shelter, but i can tell you for the AO is an absolute 5 star hotel. Zero condensation. Fully breathable inner-shell. But, she's heavy! Built with stove usage in mind. Its a palace for 2 men.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Have been using an Arctic Oven in 1999 (wow 16 years now) They are simply awesome. They will not get condensation in them no matter how bad you muff up. Burning propane and the like doesn't matter that material they use for the inner tent is so nice.

Likely will be taking my 10X10 to Kodiak here in several weeks.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Great info, but after clarification from my buddy, looks like we might be taking a Cub in instead of a bigger plane. Weight is an issue. Looking at a 4 season Hilleberg now. Something like the Saivo.

Daniel_M

WKR
Great info, but after clarification from my buddy, looks like we might be taking a Cub in instead of a bigger plane. Weight is an issue. Looking at a 4 season Hilleberg now. Something like the Saivo.

What time of year and whats the intended game? That will answer a lot of questions. If weight is an issue, consider a tipi. You can still have some heat, but you'll encounter condensation without a liner. SuperCub rules out packing gobs of propane so you're limited to fuel on demand but you should be able to squeeze in a few firelogs, which are good for 8 hours a piece usually. We've packed them on floats. Trim them down with a bandsaw and vacuum packed, which will net you a few extra hours of unattended heat. at bedtime.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
dont do the Hilleberg, IMO. They condensate like crazy without lots of airflow. If you want a tent to hunker down in foul weather, consider a Cabela's Guide tent or a Bomb Shelter. I've owned two Hillebergs and currently dont have one my inventory. Expense doesn;t always get you the best weather option.

For the weight, Cabela's Guide is a great fit for Alaska.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
dont do the Hilleberg, IMO. They condensate like crazy without lots of airflow. If you want a tent to hunker down in foul weather, consider a Cabela's Guide tent or a Bomb Shelter. I've owned two Hillebergs and currently dont have one my inventory. Expense doesn;t always get you the best weather option.

For the weight, Cabela's Guide is a great fit for Alaska.

Agreed Larry! There is a reason I own 6 man guide models :) Of course one is 11 years old now and has a small tear in the fly but it still gets it done!

Stid2677

WKR
Alaska Tent and Tarp sells a tent called the Pipeline, it weights 20 lbs and is a bomber tent that can be heated with either a wood stove or cat heater. Luke and I used mine on Kodiak in Nov and only used one 1 pound propane can during tens days of hunting with temps below freezing. Photobucket is down right now, will post some pics once it comes back up. This is a nice tent made from the same materials as the larger tents, but is not tall enough to stand up in, it is a tunnel style shelter. Very warm and dry with lots of tie downs.

Steve

Daniel_M

WKR
dont do the Hilleberg, IMO. They condensate like crazy without lots of airflow. If you want a tent to hunker down in foul weather, consider a Cabela's Guide tent or a Bomb Shelter.

Condensation was exactly my reason behind selling the 4-Man Saitaris. Lack of airflow caused wet sauna-like conditions to form.

Stid2677

WKR
Here are the photos...

IMGP1914.jpg

IMGP1915.jpg

IMGP1916.jpg

IMGP1988.jpg

IMGP2092.jpg

IMGP2094.jpg

I want a Pipeline, would be a perfect tent for bad weather and two people with the ability to heat and escape the elements.

On calm and cool/cold nights, the Hille condensates something horrible. If there is a breeze, it does not.

I am glad that Luke talked me into the Guide Model, awesome tent and not too terribly heavy.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Interesting. This is an early Sept hunt so I'm not too worried about cold. And I want a floor. Tipi is out. Interesting to hear about the condensation in the Saitaris. The Saivo is a similar design. I read numerous mountaineering reviews on it that mentioned good air flow. Bums me out to hear this. Another positive would be a tent that I could buy in Anchorage. Gonna have enough stuff to fly up there as it is. Would be nice to buy a tent there.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Ok, I checked out the pipeline and I like what I see. A few questions... Single or double wall? How's it do in high wind? Are the poles bomber? Rain? Are the seams well sealed? I'm a little concerned since it seems to be kinda new, should I be? Is it well tested? Are the guy lines attached and do they have cam locks? Is it easy to set up? What is the packed size? Any other pros/cons?

Last edited:

hodgeman

WKR
I bought a Pipeline last spring and used it quite a bit since then. It is a double wall, does very well in high wind and the poles seem solid enough. Mine was seam sealed and did well in a series of storms and bad weather. There are no guy lines attached and it has enough stake loops and tie outs to keep it anchored to the earth through anything conceivable. Mine did fine in a 50mph wind with only half the loops and guys. It is not freestanding like the other AOs. I can pitch it in 5min by myself...10 if I want it semi permanent.

It is built by a company that's made hard weather tents for years following pretty well accepted designs of tunnel tents.

AXEL

WKR
VERY interesting, I like my Saivo, as the one tent I really trust in severe BC winter with the huge, wet snowfalls we usually get. One, MUST keep it vented but my old North Face dome and all of the other tents I have owned/used, about a dozen since the mid-'60s, do much the same. I find Hilles to be far superior to any other make for really crappy weather, especially in cold.

The AO and BS LOOK like they also would have these issues, sans heat, of course, but, perhaps I am missing some thing as I have never had the chance to actually see one?

The AO 10x10 really interests me as I want to take my wife camping/fishing and some hunting and have the Four Dog Ti large stove already, how do these do if not heated, as much condensation as the Hilles or a tipi?

TEmbry

WKR
I've spent weeks in both an AO and a Bomb Shelter... the equivalent AO is much stouter/nicer IMO but that comes w a higher cost and much higher weight.

Where will this hunt be taking place and for what species? If traveling w a tent I'd vote neither just cause of weight.

Daniel_M

WKR
VERY interesting, I like my Saivo, as the one tent I really trust in severe BC winter with the huge, wet snowfalls we usually get. One, MUST keep it vented but my old North Face dome and all of the other tents I have owned/used, about a dozen since the mid-'60s, do much the same. I find Hilles to be far superior to any other make for really crappy weather, especially in cold.

The AO and BS LOOK like they also would have these issues, sans heat, of course, but, perhaps I am missing some thing as I have never had the chance to actually see one?

The AO 10x10 really interests me as I want to take my wife camping/fishing and some hunting and have the Four Dog Ti large stove already, how do these do if not heated, as much condensation as the Hilles or a tipi?

Negative. The fabric of the inner wall leaves the tent condensation free. It's a full breathable barrier. I've spent several nights in Steves A010. Heated with either wood, or propane. Rain or not, it's condensation free.