Black bears over 7.5 ft. by 325 wsm

325 wsm

FNG
I was fortunate enough to get the opportunity to guide on the Queen Charlotte Islands for 7 seasons for the monster black bear there. Although it happened once in a while we did our best never to harvest a bear under 7 ft. In that time I was able to guide over half a dozen bears that squared over 7.5 ft. with skulls scoring over 21 B&C. 1 season we had cancellations and the outfitter let myself and another guide go out and guide each other to our own bears. I managed to get a real brute on the second to last day for myself. The very last hunt I guided there I got the biggest black bear I had ever seen, squaring 7 ft 11 inches with a 22 inch skull. I dont have a picture of that one on photo bucket yet but will get it posted on here eventually.Here are some pictures of the others though.

Heres the one I got. Called him out of the old growth into a salt marsh lagoon with a fawn in distress call. Got 1 shot at him with the 325 and he made it back into the timber 50 yards before dying.

OP
325 wsm

325 wsm

FNG
Heres a picture of the last bear I guided on the Queen Charlotte Islands. It squared 7ft 10 inches and its skull was 21.75 inches.

Bighorse

WKR
Bear dog

Nice! Good to see you using a dog for recovery efforts. Anybody who knows about bear hunting would have one ready and trained. You can get into a tangle and finish what you started with a good dog. Having a dog to warn you of where the bear is will save your bacon. My dog has a great nose and doesn't shy away from em. He helped me locate this brownie after a two day tracking job to finish what I started.

Those big muzzles on the bears are a tale-tale indicator of maturity and size. Small Blackies just don't get that mouth and nose size.

Thanks for sharing all the great animals you've had the opportunity to catch standing still.

Attachments

• sping bear 020.jpg
    sping bear 020.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 151
Great bears. I can imagine that was what POW was like back in the late 80s and 90s. Being that NRs need a guide to hunt Canada, I can imagine the pressure on the QCI is pretty minimal which equates to giant old bears as you've proved with those tanks.

Anyone else notice the rubs on those bears. Just like POW bears.....

Bighorse

WKR
It's not just POW. Through out SE Alaska it's a consideration. Thick vegetation is not good for fur. Then big males rub all the time to mark territory.

Bighorse,

I only have experience on POW and know BC quite well (Same climate tree growth) and have heard conflicting reasons on why POW bears are all rubbed up. That rub right between their eyes is almost a classic sign you're looking at a boar in my dealings with SE bears. Either way, those QCI bears are hammers!

OP
325 wsm

325 wsm

FNG
here are a few more big ones .

This is another 7.5 foot bear.
The hunter, his son and I all shot it within 1 second. It dissapeared into the edge of the trees 5 yards away. My dog Tia ran after it and came back to us within seconds. We spent almost an hour looking for it in the heavy timber with no luck. Finally we went back to where we shot at it from and tried to renew our search. I went in to the timber about 3 yards closer than the first time and it was right there. My dog had gone to it and returned after finding it right after we shot, I just never figured it out. She is not a real tracking dog (at all) but its great to have her out in front a couple yards when your looking for them in the thick stuff.
I shot my big bear off the log directly behind us in the picture, same year to I think.

heres a few more over 7ft.

4IDARCHER

WKR
Big Black Bears

Those are some amazing bruins. I love giant black bears. While not in the same class as your bears my largest was taken a few years back on the Quinault Tribal Lands in WA State. He squared right under 6'10 and scored 19 3/8. He was an awesome spring bear with a beautiful coat.
I love seeing giant black bears, thanks for sharing.

Attachments

• black bear 2.jpg
    black bear 2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 64
  • black bear.jpg
    black bear.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 56

fish_e_o

FNG
BJVjzrf.jpg

5oDcLBk.jpg

here's mine skull went 20 1/8"