Aftermarket Foot Inserts

Trock03

FNG
Brian,

This isn't the topic I thought my first post would deal with but I strive to be an over achiever when it comes to taking care of my feet. I'm former Marine Corps infantry and have been hiking/backpacking/mountaineering for over 20 years so I know a little something about foot ailments. I use Superfeet insoles exclusively now. I have them in all of my boots. I'm confident that if you try them you'll be happy with the results.

TC

Brian,

This isn't the topic I thought my first post would deal with but I strive to be an over achiever when it comes to taking care of my feet. I'm former Marine Corps infantry and have been hiking/backpacking/mountaineering for over 20 years so I know a little something about foot ailments. I use Superfeet insoles exclusively now. I have them in all of my boots. I'm confident that if you try them you'll be happy with the results.

TC

I agree - what model do you use?

OP
BSeals71

BSeals71

WKR
Brian,

TC

TC

Awesome, thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to check them out. Appreciate your help.

gelton

WKR
I have used sole and superfeet and prefer superfeet by a wide margin. I use the superfeet green. I recently put the original footbeds in my boots recently for a few days and it is like night and day, the superfeet were right back in. I have also heard good things about Lathrop and Sons synergy footbeds and may try a set of them next.

Ray

WKR
For everyday use I have been using PowerStep inserts. They loose their top cover material after about 8 months. Super feet greens are still in my light hikers. The only issue I have with them is that they squeek when I get to sweating. But after five years of not too hard of use they are still the same. I have gone through probably 15 pairs of PowerSteps in my daily shoes/boots. They cost about the same, so other than the fact that my plantar facitius behaves better with the PowerSteps I don't know why I am still using them due to the significant cost outlay over the years.

1hoda

Banned
I have 2 pairs of SOLE inserts. Tried a few others, these fit my feet better than anything and last forever. I think that's the key - try different ones and see what is most comfortable for you because they are all different.

gmajor

WKR
Brian,

TC

Nice! Me too. I use the "Black" version (I have low arches). Which are you using?

trkyslr

WKR
theperfectinsole.com
these are the best insoles I've found. I have a pair in every pair of boots and shoes I wear.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I use Superfeet Orange and they work very well for me. I tried two different pairs of the Lathrop Synergy insoles and hated both of them in my hunting boots.

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
I've had a lot of foot problems and have high arches. My foot doctor told me when I came in to see him the first time wearing green superfeets in my tennis shoes that they are the best store bought insoles you can get. I generally wear custom orthotics now but thought I'd give his thoughts on store bought insoles.

Ironman8

WKR
I have used the Lathrop insoles in my Fugitives for the last couple years but will be switching to superfeet. Lathrop is comfortable, but I've noticed that the make my feet hot and start sweating, they're pretty heavy for insoles, and during my elk hunt in Idaho, they slid down and bunched up in the toes going downhill and banged my big toes up a little.

I have never been a guy to get blisters. In fact, never had one until I used the Lathrop Synergys on Lowa Tibets. I am not trying to trash the insoles but they were terrible for me. I don't think gel or variation of is right for hunting ( just my opinion)

Trock03

FNG
@Jeff Martin and gmajor,

I've been wearing the greens since I can remember. A staff member at REI recommended them to me years ago. Probably the best advice I've ever gotten from a retail employee.

TC

Backstrap

FNG
I used to use Superfeet Greens for pretty much everything. I recently discovered Sole inserts. Far superior in my opinion, not a knock on SF by any measure, only detractor is they suck up a lot of volume in the boot so if you're on the edge volume wise, these may not be for you. They are also heat moldable.

theperfectinsole.com
these are the best insoles I've found. I have a pair in every pair of boots and shoes I wear.

What's the deal? These seem interesting but are the for sale? and if so how do you purchase them? I didn't see a sale provision on their website and my searches came up empty too?

Alright..seems like alot of superfeet users here. So here's my question. Every insert I've ever worn or seen deal with arch support and/or cushioning. Superfeet talks about volume and fit profile. I'm not looking for volume and fit profile seems generic to me. Such as:

Low profile is our most accommodating shape and provides support for the widest range of foot types.
Medium profile is our intermediate shape and provides basic support for most foot types.
High profile offers the most shape and provides maximum support for most foot types.

Do these even offer any arch support? And to everybody who loves them, how about a little objective explanation as to why you love them as opposed to "these are the best inserts I've used" or "I love them."

I can't pull the trigger on these because I don't want to waste my money experimenting with my "fit profile"

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Alright..seems like alot of superfeet users here. So here's my question. Every insert I've ever worn or seen deal with arch support and/or cushioning. Superfeet talks about volume and fit profile. I'm not looking for volume and fit profile seems generic to me. Such as:

Low profile is our most accommodating shape and provides support for the widest range of foot types.
Medium profile is our intermediate shape and provides basic support for most foot types.
High profile offers the most shape and provides maximum support for most foot types.

Do these even offer any arch support? And to everybody who loves them, how about a little objective explanation as to why you love them as opposed to "these are the best inserts I've used" or "I love them."

I can't pull the trigger on these because I don't want to waste my money experimenting with my "fit profile"

I am no boot/insole expert. Just an active guy that has very high arches, a wide heel and a wide fore foot. I also really like boots. I used to pick on the GF for all her fancy shoes until she saw how much the last couple pair of Lowa and Zamberlan boots cost. Now I don't. What I think might not work for you but I will try to explain why I use the insole that I do.

I use the green wide SF. They call it "high profile". It has a high arch in it that follows my foot shape. With out the high arch in the insole profile, my foot feels as though it collapses inward with ever step. I would say it stabilizes my foot laterally. A very important thing when hunting/climbing high.

The heel cup keeps my heel from moving up/down or laterally. Like a bowling ball in a wet t-shirt. It provides enough cushioning while not moving around. I like that locked in heel feeling.

As far as the volume goes, I think that depends how your foot fits the boot your putting it in. If you have extra room in the boot with your foot in there, maybe you need a high volume insole. If the boot fits pretty snug, then maybe you want to look a insoles with less volume. All feet are different and certainly all boots are built different too.

This is how I see it my head. I may be way off. Would not be the first time....today.

n2horns

WKR
A side note = Learned at REI when buying SF Green. I have a wide foot, and tried on the wide SF green, the REI person saw that and said let me help you. I really didn't need wide SF's, I tried on the 3 different sizes in SF Green normal width. With her help, I up sized my insole size by 1, which then led it to fit my arch properly. What I didn't know is how/where the arch and insole arch meet.

So on that advice, I bought the 1 size up SF Green in normal width and trimmed the toe area to fit my boot. I will be getting 2 more SF green for my other boots now.