Paleo people...what's a typical day look like for you?

Steeliedrew

Lil-Rokslider
I'm really looking into eating clean and have been researching The Paleo Diet. I'd like to hear from those of you who follow the paleo guidelines, what a normal day looks like for you in terms of breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks? I'm feeling overwhelmed on making a shopping list for this. Anyone have some good resources for recipes?

Thank you,

Drew

kyle1112

WKR
It will take a good while for you to make a habit of looking for the things you cannot eat, the things you can are pretty obvious but sometimes they seem like you could and you'll be surprised, if that makes sense lol. My wife uses pinterest alot, tonight we had chowmein but instead of noodles we used spaghetti squash and it was Awesome!!!! We also make a point to look at multiple sources if we want to know if an item is off limits. Remember it's more of a lifestyle than a diet.

OP
S

Steeliedrew

Lil-Rokslider
I see there are a few cell phone apps that say they'll tell you if something is paleo or not. Ever use one of them while shopping?

kyle1112

WKR
No I've never used them, would be interested in seeing them though. The easiest way to start is to take out grains, processed foods, dairy, sugars, if that sounds easy lol. It's alot of reading and cooking, nothing is really "quick" meals unless you have cooked them and prepared them ahead of time

My wife and I have been on the paleo train for around 3 years now. I can tell you at first it is very overwhelming. That said, the key, in my opinion, is to go ALL IN from the start. Easing into it never works for anyone that I have seen try. We started by doing what is called the "Whole 30" which is very strict and very structured. After the first 2 weeks you will find that your body is feeling much much better. I will warn you, when you go cold turkey, the first 1.5 to 2 weeks is brutal. You will feel hungry all the time and you will feel a bit weak at times. This is just your body begging for sugar and carbs, power through, it will get better.

Paleo did not get easy for us until we began to really work with paleo ingredients to make real meals. What I mean, is that when everyone first starts, the make a chicken breast for dinner and add broccoli and it gets old extremely fast.

Find websites and blogs that have hundreds and thousands of recipes. The one my wife likes the best is called PaleOMG or something lame like that. Civilized caveman is another blog she watches religiously.

I will try and get her to come on here and post some advice for you, because without her I couldn't do it. What is and is not paleo is quite simple. No dairy, no grains or corn, no sugar. Watch for other forms of sugar such as dextrose, maltodextrose, sucrose, fructose, stevia, and any other artificial sweetener. Essentially you will be shopping on the outside of the grocery store in the meat, egg, veggie, fruit sections, and rarely making it into the aisles.

don't be afraid to try the recipes, they are easy and good and make paleo worth it.

Joe

OP
S

Steeliedrew

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for your advise. I agree going all in is going to be the way to go for me.

Whisky

WKR
I did it for a while and if you want to lose weight it's a good diet for that. But I couldn't maintain. Like somebody said grilled chicken and veggies gets pretty boring. And it's pretty inconvenient at times. A typical day would be eggs for breakfast, usually some leftover protein from supper with a can of green beans or other veggies for lunch, and supper would be the same. I grilled a lot of veggies. I ate a lot of hamburger and venison hamburger steaks. Made spaghetti squash a few times. Smoked turkey legs were a good lunch. Sanck on jerky and cheese sticks. I'd BBQ on the weekends and eat leftover pork butt or tri tip during the week. When it came to protein I ate whatever I wanted, fatty or not..... It's the sides that killed me, got tired of. And the ever easy sandwich for lunch.

Its much easier for me to maintain a lower cal/low fat diet. Everybody is different. Good luck.

kyle1112

WKR
It's definitely not easy at first as I said but I can tell you that I felt better than ever on the mountain this year. So steeliedrew you already see the difference in what's on people's menus, whisky mentioned beans, cheese and sandwiches(bread) are not in fact paleo by my sources. My breakfast begins with eggs (2 whole, 3 white only and home grown), bacon(3 pieces) and that usually lasts about my standard 3 hours till I eat again...jerky, smoked salmon/steelhead, fruit, caveman bars (costco has them), mixed veggies or 1 cup of grilled chicken are all great snack. Lunch is usually leftovers from the night before being a paleo meal already, dinner could be one of any of the million recipes we have. I'm always hungry as whisky mentioned as well but that is because there is no fillers and extra "crap" to make you feel full longer. Lately we have moved to a greens/ vegan shake/meal replacement for breakfast then shift all my meals down in time of eating them and may cut a snack out to keep dinner before 530. I get up at 330am so I eat a lot in a day when I eat every 3 hours...lol

I actually find that in many cases, paleo is NOT the best diet if you are looking for strictly weight loss. Paleo or similar diets are a lifestyle change more than a weight loss fad diet. The problem is that you cannot let paleo get boring. You HAVE to learn to make new things and not just a protein and a veggie and now you are bored. Traveling is difficult, but here's the thing... you don't have to be 100% paleo all the time. You will find that as your body adjusts, things like bread and sugar will make you feel funny and you may spend some extra time on the throne... but a few cheat days a month will not hurt anything.

My wife makes breads, waffles, tortillas, muffins, "frostys," all sorts of desserts, pizza (cheese is a good cheat that is not "paleo" but some call paleo + dairy "primal,") some noodles, sauces, and soups that are all paleo.

the problem is that everyone does a steak and a sweet potatoe or some variation of Protein and veggie... and burns out.

As far as traveling and lunches... you have to plan ahead. We plan our entire week on sunday night. Go to the grocery store and get what we need for the week, and we are set. We mostly make sure we make a bunch of extra dinner so that we have lunch for a day or so. Breakfast is easy, eggs, bacon, smoothies, a leftovers with eggs...

Like I say over and over, do NOT be afraid that you are eating 3000 calories a day, you will adjust and will get back down to normal intake when you do.

Snacks are easy too... Lots of nuts (not peanuts), dried fruit, jerky (but watch out for sugar,) leftovers, etc.

You will find little things that make lots of meals better. I.E. good almond butter is better to me than peanut butter now, you can find sugar free jams that are very good, apple butter, paleo mayo, paleo bbq sauces, mustards, Franks hot sauce.... PLay with it a little.

I will try and get my wife on here... she is truly amazing and is the go to for our entire gym that does paleo. We do 8-9+ day camping trips (with a camper) and she can keep it 100% paleo the whole time.

Last night we had tacos with paleo tortilla shells that I can even make.

Joe

Whisky

WKR
I be interested in hearing some ideas from your wife. Especially for side dishes or meals that are different then the protein and vegfies.

Kyle, yeah the sandwiches are what I missed when I was on the Paleo kick. No bread on palieo for sure.

I can see the cheese beings it's processed, although very few carbs and I love it so I ate it, but what's in the green beans that's not paleo? it most all the fruits and veggies have some natural sugar/carbs in them don't they?

kyle1112

WKR
Joe I'd like to get some of the recipes you have, my wife is loaded with recipes from pinterest but the ones that have been done by others are always better because of the hands on "tweeks" and tricks to make them come out right. I'll try to post the spaghetti squash chowmein recipe on here too, it was awesome! I agree with Joe in that you have to mix it up or yes if you are that kind of person you will get bored quick.

Poser

WKR
Yesterday:

Breakfast:
Grapefruit, Eggs and Spinach

Lunch:
Roasted Squirrel, Sweet Potato, steamed Carrots, baby kale

Snack:
Sauerkraut, nuts, orange, banana

Post workout:
Protein shake: Protein, Coconut water, mixed fruit, spinach

Dinner:
Cured meat (Coppa), Venison Stew. dark chocolate

hodgeman

WKR
I can't say there are any typical days.
But foods I eat routinely-
Eggs...a lot of them
Lots of game meats
Apples, oranges and bananas
Celery and carrot
Almonds.

Traveling is a PITA...very hard to find "convenience" foods that aren't just a piece of fruit or jerky.

I'd really encourage you to try the Whole 30....as one poster said- it's brutal for the first week but by week 3 you feel like superman on Red Bull.

Ill get her on here.

When traveling we will grill a big flank steak and cut it into thin strips, put it a tupperwear and refridge. We will put guac on it or whatever you like. It nice cuz you can eat and drive. We will also merinade chicken in mustard with a little honey and some other stuff, grill it and do the same. Hard boiled eggs, fruits, nuts. You get the idea. Essentially you will need to bring a cooler with you when you go.

Also, many restaurants can modify their dishes a bit to me MORE paleo (maybe not perfect.) Steak, burgers or chickes sandwiches with no buns, salads with oil and vinegar, ask them to hold things like croutons, cheese etc. most places offer sweet potato fries... again no perfect but they will keep you from falling off completely. when really pinched for time we will get jimmy johns "unwhiches" with no cheese or mayo. Yes, I know that most of their meat is probably cured in sugar... but it is better than wendy's right? Plus to keep you from losing your man card and fill you up... order the "gargantuan" basically like a pound of meat with lettuce around it.

The main thing is transitioning your body from eating because it tastes good or makes you feel better, and eating for fuel. Your palate will change to make you the weird guy that likes paleo banana bread better than real banana bread. haha

Joe

OP
S

Steeliedrew

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies guys. keep em coming.

Joe, that would be great if you can get your wife on here to talk food.

Whisky

WKR
God I could go for a gargantuan right now. Been years since I hammered one of those beasts.

That whole 30 looks like an ass kicker.

we stared with the "whole 30" then went to paleo from there. I was filled with rage for about a week of that whole 30. We recently completed an 8 week long "paleo challenge" through our crossfit gym put on by a group call LURONG. We are currently in a 5 week Lurong challenge as well.

I find that for people starting out, something structured and strict like the whole 30 or a lurong challnge is a great way to start because it forces you to get through the part where most people quit. Amazing how much a little accountability will force you to follow through.

Joe