Maine drop cap?

TwoTikkas

WKR
Maine drop camp?

Anyone here know of any outfits that do drop camp moose hunts in Maine? Fully guided is WAY out of reach.

Last edited:

JCT

FNG
Man had a response all typed out and my computer took a dump !
I drew a tag in 2013, you don't need an outfitter at all. Most all the land is open to hunt and access is easy as there are logging roads everywhere.
I drew unit 11 if memory serves me. I rented a small cabin dirt cheap (375.00 for 7 days) but if you have camp gear you can just drive in to the area you plan to hunt and set up right there. All the locals I met were great and helpful. Beware they will all tell you to drive the roads and hunt that way or you wont have much chance.
Hogwash! I killed mine back in the bush and there was 2 fellows in a cabin close to me that killed theirs back in the bush.
Maine moose tag is a dam hard thing to come by. Took me 18 yrs to draw a cow tag. Yes, I went to Maine to hunt a cow moose !
The guys next cabin over were Maine residents and took them 30 yrs to get a tag.
The draw hasnt happened for 2015 yet so my guess is you are asking for info just in case.
Let me know if you want more detailed info and I'll dig it up.

DIY

WKR
21 points here... hopefully gonna draw soon. Outfitter once told me I can draw as soon as I want. Been only buying pp points. Most of these hunts are 5 k.. too expensive I feel. Looking for diy as well

JCT

FNG
DIY, I think that outfitter is BS'n you. Please dont take that the wrong way but in my experience nothing could be further from reality.
Numbers of points only equates to an extra name in the hat per point. Theoretically you could have 30 points and the next guy has one and will
draw and you won't. Bear tags here in MD are the same. Pretty sad way to do it in my opinion but it is what it is.
I cant more strongly suggest that anyone that draws do it DIY, it is an incredibly easy hunt to do in my opinion.
I realize the thought of getting a moose out of the bush sounds daughnting but a one mile trek to a road that you can get a 4wd to would be
an exception to the rule I think. Logging roads are EVERYWHERE, it is nothing like the west. No way I would pay an outfitter, just no way.
In the unit I hunted DIY is easy. Hell my 65 yr old father went with me just to hang out in camp and he helped pack out my moose and he thought it
was a walk in the park. Some bogs and such but zero elevation to deal with. Elevation is a Mutha F'r !
Anyhow, dont sweat it, getting drawn is by far the biggest hurdle.
Regards
JT

weaver

WKR
Can't you buy as many chances as you want every year in the Maine moose draw?

JCT

FNG
I believe that is correct, Weaver. I haven't paid alot of attention to the draw as this year will be my first year I can draw again. Once you draw a tag you cant draw again for 3 years. (don't quote me as I haven't checked lately). Every point is only another name in the hat, you cannot build points to get a tag.
I know (somewhat) a fellow that waited 22 yrs before he drew and turned around and drew again 4 yrs later. Unheard of ! BTW I screwed up, I drew my tag in 2012
not 2013 as stated above. My memory is as longs as, well, you know.
Regards
JT