Chili powder???

I'm wondering if chili powder would work to keep Coyotes off my deer quarters. I hunt 4-5 miles from the truck for mule deer and anything shot has to be packed out. While making trips back in forth (if needed) I want to make sure the yotes stay off my kill. Would applying chili powder over my game bags keep them away? Thanks!

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Mothballs would be a better choice. A small ziploc half full will do the trick. Don't hang them on the meat bags so you avoid absorption odors, but rather hang them around the meat cache or sprinkle them on the ground or on branches, etc.

Works for bears and wild canines

_Nick_

WKR
Just be a bit cautious about the mothballs (they release pesticide into the air, if the wind is blowing right it could settle on your meat bags), and I'd be sure to pick them up afterwards. They're fairly potent. http://npic.orst.edu/ingred/ptype/mothball/health.html

I do agree with Larry though, my bet would be that chili powder wouldn't be the best deterrent. I've seen dogs eat some pretty spicy chili before...

Maybe you could try shuttling the meat if you're that concerned about coyotes?

huntin'monkey

Lil-Rokslider
What about the old human scent trick. I've only left game bags out overnight once, and just took a leak around them. They were fine the next day. I always heard that would work, and/or leaving some smelly gear like an used shirt or jacket out would keep predators away from your meat. Anybody had specifically good or bad experience with this method.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The only time I've ever had problems with coyotes or bears on a kill, is when I didn't recover it the same day. Otherwise they seem to leave it alone for at least a day or so........enough time to get it out.

2rocky

WKR
If you bone your deer out you should be able to get it out in one trip.
A 180 pound buck would have about 70 pounds of Boneless meat.

You might need to ditch some day hunting gear and come back for it, but if you have a pack in the 1800-2500 Cu inch range, with some frame rigidity, you are set.

Most packs that size are going to easily cinch down to "hunting mode".

danarnold

WKR
I was able to get out all the meat on my 2013 wy bull the day after the kill but I went back a day after that for the cape in a meat bag that i strung up high in a pine the bears had claimed it, the carcass was on a very steep grade with plenty for them to eat on it but was nowhere in sight on day 2

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
yeah, i regularly pee around my meat cache to deter bears. never had a wolf come by to steal meat, but not sure about coyote effectiveness.

BTW, the new-school moth balls aren't harmful to pets and is non-toxic. The old stuff from the 90s was changed because dogs were getting sick from eating it.

This past fall in B.C. I shot a bull at last light. We only had time to gut and spread the rib cage before night set in. Remember, we're in grizz country also so we didn't want to quarter and hang them in the pitch black, so before we left we took off our jackets and draped them over the carcass. We were back at first light only to find a black bear on it. Granted he only chewed off one of the testicles, but he was still on it regardless of our scent.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
yeah, i regularly pee around my meat cache to deter bears. never had a wolf come by to steal meat, but not sure about coyote effectiveness.

BTW, the new-school moth balls aren't harmful to pets and is non-toxic. The old stuff from the 90s was changed because dogs were getting sick from eating it.
Thanks Larry, that's good to know!

Yeah, we've been pee'n around our kills for years and I usually leave a sweaty jacket next to the meat as well.
No wolf or bear has ever bothered any of them.
Hunt'nFish

In the Southwest, several people actually rub red chili powder directly on the meat as it's being skinned. Keeps the bugs away and predators. We like it hot:)

KMT

WKR
My golden retriever could win a hot chili eating contest. I wouldn't count on chili powder to keep coyotes away.

rayporter

WKR
ya...i would not count on it. but it is worth a shot.

i mix chilli powder with Tabasco to keep horses and dogs from chewing things. sometimes you got one with a little Mexican heritage and they love it.