Daypack advice

Just recently got into backpack mule deer hunting (4-5 miles from truck) in the last few years. I'm starting to upgrade equipment and would like to remain light weight so I can cover more ground and carry more meat on the way out. Basically I'm looking for gear Advice and what a daypack should roughly weigh.

My setup so far minus clothes and weapon:

Soloman quest 4D boots
Eberlestock X2 pack
Viper HD 10x42
KUIU bino harness
Slik sprint mini w/outdoorsman bino adapter
Kill kit (havalon, blades, Allan gamebags, wet wipes)
Garmin 62s (only basic maps on it now)
Medical kit
Mini multi tool
Flagging tape
Black diamond storm headlamp
50oz smart water bottle
Wind checker
50' para cord
Latex gloves (pair)
Range finder
Extra batteries
Suunto core watch (backup compass)

OP
M
also here was my deer this year with my rifle. 4 mile pack out to the truck. X2 pack only had front quarters and loins. Rest was drug on crappy make shift sleds (never doing that again). Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 143

muleman

WKR
Nice buck!

I second the tarp addition.

Not sure if you are looking for actual pack recomendations or just pack contents. For packs, I really like the Stone Glacier Approach bag for day hunts. For late season day hunts, with bulkier gear or when I take my kids I use the Solo bag. The Solo has plenty of extra space but compresses down to nothing. The Stone Glacier KruX frame will handle your successful hunts by packing out heavy loads with working load lifters.

Last edited:
OP
M
Nice buck!

I second the tarp addition.

Not sure if you are looking for actual pack recomendations or just pack contents. For packs, I really like the Stone Glacier Approach bag for day hunts. For late season day hunts, with bulkier gear or when I take my kids I use the Solo bag. The Solo has plenty of extra space but compresses down to nothing. The Stone Glacier KruX frame will handle your successful hunts by packing out heavy loads with working load lifters.

Funny you mention that, I added the solo pack to my gear "wish list" a few weeks ago. I just need to save a few pennies.

BeWitty

Lil-Rokslider
I ran an X2 for a few years and just this year will make a switch to an EXO 3500. With the EXO setup you can keep all your gear in the pack and put an ENTIRE boned out deer in between the pack and frame. This will eliminate multiple trips and it's very light weight.

I still have the X2 and will be using it occasionally for shorter brushy hikes. That is a tough little pack and I've had 100 lbs in it but that's not much fun. IMO

OP
M
I ran an X2 for a few years and just this year will make a switch to an EXO 3500. With the EXO setup you can keep all your gear in the pack and put an ENTIRE boned out deer in between the pack and frame. This will eliminate multiple trips and it's very light weight.

I still have the X2 and will be using it occasionally for shorter brushy hikes. That is a tough little pack and I've had 100 lbs in it but that's not much fun. IMO

X2 pack is a great pack and got me out of a pinch that's for sure. It would have handled the whole deer if boned out, but in nebraska we can only quarter our animal. Even that's a new rule too.

Would people agree that 15# would be a good number to shoot for? after pack weight and water I'm looking at 5-6# to play with it seems.

Muddy,
Sounds like you are about set on your setup and system. 15# is a great goal but mine always ends up a little more than that. I do carry a older heavier rain poncho that I use for a tarp for my meat and shelter if I need it. I always take a few power bars and such too.
It seems that your gear choices and mine are similar. However, I have been using a Blacks Creek Western Hunter pack and have gotten good use out of it. I basically plan on being able to clear out my pack during the breakdown of the animal so that I can use the pack to haul meat out. If I bone out a deer I can make it out with one trip. However, if its an elk I plan on making few more trips with a frame pack. As such I am looking to change backs possibly to the Mystery Ranch crew cab for the added space for elk quarters like BeWitty mentioned. But that is a different story. Good Luck!

Hike2hunt

FNG
That set-up looks very familiar - plus one on the tarp. I personally carry a heavy duty emergency blanket, which has many uses. One being a place to lay meat out on. My system with the x2 was to bring out a boned out load, then come back with my meat hauling pack.

Rizzy

WKR
Looks to me like your pretty good to go, nice Buck!

I think your ready for a better pack/frame with more load hauling capabilities and a maybe a spotting scope. A little bit bigger pack will give you the option to carry more meat.

As far as the weight, I carry about 6# of water, 7# of gun, 6# of spotting scope/tripod and am probably coming in more around 25# for a daypack setup.