Ballistic theories aside practical difference between superformance 308Win & 7Rem Mag

4IDARCHER

WKR
Ballistic theories aside practical difference between superformance 308Win & 7Rem Mag

Looking for some ideas, “go for its” or “you’re crazy” on this thread but hoping some can follow my thinking down the rabbit hole for a second.

I have been looking for a buy or build mid range rifle for a little while now contemplating calibers and makes and what I really need vs. what would be nice to have but don’t want to pay for the weight/length. I have been looking at two calibers in particular for the projects I want. One is considered a fine long range round by several on here, the 7mm Rem Mag, and one a nice little soft shooting deer round the .308 Winchester.

Looking at factory ammo I compared the Hornady Interlock 154gr at 3035fps out of the 7mm Mag to the superformance 150gr Interbond .308 at 3000fps. Moving up to the 160 class you have the 162gr at 2940 from the 7 to 165gr at 2840 out of the superformance .308

Now I pretty much grew up in my states ballistic crime lab, and could quote B.C’s like other kids could ball cards, but have gotten away from a lot of gun shooting and shoot almost all bows now. I do want to get back a little heavier into rifle shooting and maybe for some hunting. As much as I love to bow hunt, some of these tags I have been eating out west are starting to stack up and every once in a while it would be nice to be able to reach out and shoot. Plus it has been a while since I was issued an M14 instead of my M4 and want to keep those skills as much as I can while still living a practical life.

I realize that the B.C and S.D of these two rounds even at similar weights will be very different, but this is where maybe my older self kicks in. Out to the ranges I wish to shoot and hunt (600 yrds ) how much of this is theory and how much practicality? Out to even 600yrds how much will the S.D of the lower 150gr 30cal really matter on deer/sheep sized game compared to the higher and theoretically better penetrating S.D. of the 150 7mm bullet, especially with modern excellent performing ammo? Even the fastest hunting loads will be dropping a ton at 600 yrds with either a 100 or 200 yrd zero so you still have calculations and hold over to deal with. I have a very nice Viper 6.5X20 scope that is overkill on a hunting rifle but begging to be put to good use. The difference between the two rounds is that on one I would zero at 100 and the other 200. After I use the drop lines out to 500yrds I still have to dial up past that, just to the degree is the variable.
I also realize from my schools and training that wind plays a huge role and is the hardest to dope. But again I figure you still have to contend with it either way, just to the degree.

I also think that for the intended purpose of the rifle either of the terminal ballistics will be plenty. I am only going to use this rifle for deer/ sheep/goat maybe Ibex if I chicken out with going bow. Everything else would be bow hunting.

What really made me consider the .308 more seriously is when you start adding practicality into the mix, meaning I want my rifle light(ish) and without a long tube. I believe that due to the efficiency you will keep more of your velocity even with the superformance ammo out of a 22in barrel with a .308 then with a 7mm Rem Mag.

Another though and where a lot of people might be interjecting is this; I do not currently hand load. I have given that up and most likely will not re-start until I have more time and older children. I know with the factory ammo that Hornady makes superformance loads for the 7mm Rem Mag and that those widen the gap quite a bit, but a lot of the long range cred for the Rem Mag came from the standard loads and not the superformance stuff. Also because of the less powder and more efficient manor of the .308 I have found that usually more factory loads shoot well out of them then a lot of other rounds (have tried the 300WM, 243, 300 Ultra, 270WSM and a few others) so I was thinking that between the SST and Interbond load in either 150 or 165 grains I would find one of those loads that the .308 really liked. I have usually found a load between 4 different ones that every .308 that I have shot really liked.

So what do you guys think??? Am I being crazy, please tear my theory apart so at least I can find a direction and stick with it and not keep going back and forth.

jlmoeller

FNG
What part of Iowa are you from? I currently live north of Mason City. You don't see too many Iowa guys on here.

I 100 % agree with you that finding accuracy with a .308 win is easy. I believe it was David Tubb that said, "nothing shoots better, easier, then a 308." However, my concern is the relatively poor bc of the 308 bullets will cause it to not have enough velocity at impact to cause the bullets to work correctly at extended range. In my opinion the farthest distance a cartridge bullet combo is good for is where the velocity drops below the speed that the manufacturer states is needed for reliable bullet expansion. I have not run the numbers, but I don't think the 308 will make 600 yds with enough retained velocity. If I remember correctly barnes bullets require 2000 fps on impact, nosler accubond long range need 1300 fps, and most other bullets fall into the 1800-2000 fps category. When you run the numbers in a ballistic calculator take elevation into account. The next part is wind deflection, but it sounds like you have a handle on that.

The 7 rem mag wins with less drop and less wind drift. Accuracy favors the 308, although 7 rem mag is capable of fine accuracy as well. Less recoil and muzzle blast favor the 308. I will predict after you have done some investigating you will end up with a 7/08, 260 rem, or 6.5 creedmoor.

Feel free to call me at 515-290-8328 and we can discuss this more.

Jason Moeller

OP
4IDARCHER

4IDARCHER

WKR
Thanks,
I am in the Des Moines area. Will have to call and talk more.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I would go with a 7mm08 or a 7mm mag over the .308 myself. Or even a .280 just to throw another one in the mix.

OP
4IDARCHER

4IDARCHER

WKR
Why is that? Is because of the better SD at the grain weight I was speaking of? Inside of 500 yards do you think that difference will be noticed on the terminal end?

Mike7

WKR
This is an article on the efficiency of the .308 that I found interesting. Info like this helped me decide on a .308 initially...and because I don't shoot long range and also like the ammo availability. http://www.chuckhawks.com/myth_busting_calibers.htm

Another thing to consider if you have young children coming up and don't plan on the expense and setup time to have a rifle just for them...all of my kids have been able to effectively shoot and handle the recoil of the .308 in a 9 lb rifle (9 lbs with scope and 3 round loaded mag) with a Limbsaver recoil pad, when they were around 12-14 years old. Now that my kids are all getting older and I am setting up a lighter non-suppressed rifle for myself as well, I have stuck with the 308 in the lighter rifle and happy I did.

Based upon the numbers only, and no particular personal experience, if I ever get a chance in the future to hunt brown bear in Alaska or try longe range shooting, I will probably borrow or buy a .338 non-ultralight rifle for the task. But other than these specialized tasks, the .308 with a good bullet, seems to be pretty versatile for everything else to me.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
A 308 will shoot a 180 grain bullet pretty easily to 2650 fps out of a 22" barrel. Say its a 180 grain accubond with a BC .5 at 500 yards its still just under 1900 fps, which is more than plenty for deer and sheep sized critters. They aren't made of armor by any means.

To go the other way, a 243 is a widely accept cartridge for shooting deer and sheep sized critters. Inside 200 yards an 80 grain TTSX leaving the muzzle at 3300 fps will have the same energy as a .308 shooting 180s at 2650 fps will at 500 yards. More over, even if the .308 bullet didn't expand at all the 243 would need to expand 65% its original diameter to even get up to the size of a .308 hole ;) Regardless its gonna be a dead deer. Now if one wants to run a magnum then by all means, but IMO it really isn't needed given the range the shooter states he will be shooting.

Granted I don't shoot long range, never killed anything beyond 400 yards, but I don't feel the limiting factor at 500 yards is the .308 win cartridge by any means.....

Looking for some ideas, “go for its” or “you’re crazy” on this thread but hoping some can follow my thinking down the rabbit hole for a second.

I have been looking for a buy or build mid range rifle for a little while now contemplating calibers and makes and what I really need vs. what would be nice to have but don’t want to pay for the weight/length. I have been looking at two calibers in particular for the projects I want. One is considered a fine long range round by several on here, the 7mm Rem Mag, and one a nice little soft shooting deer round the .308 Winchester.

Looking at factory ammo I compared the Hornady Interlock 154gr at 3035fps out of the 7mm Mag to the superformance 150gr Interbond .308 at 3000fps. Moving up to the 160 class you have the 162gr at 2940 from the 7 to 165gr at 2840 out of the superformance .308

Now I pretty much grew up in my states ballistic crime lab, and could quote B.C’s like other kids could ball cards, but have gotten away from a lot of gun shooting and shoot almost all bows now. I do want to get back a little heavier into rifle shooting and maybe for some hunting. As much as I love to bow hunt, some of these tags I have been eating out west are starting to stack up and every once in a while it would be nice to be able to reach out and shoot. Plus it has been a while since I was issued an M14 instead of my M4 and want to keep those skills as much as I can while still living a practical life.

I realize that the B.C and S.D of these two rounds even at similar weights will be very different, but this is where maybe my older self kicks in. Out to the ranges I wish to shoot and hunt (600 yrds ) how much of this is theory and how much practicality? Out to even 600yrds how much will the S.D of the lower 150gr 30cal really matter on deer/sheep sized game compared to the higher and theoretically better penetrating S.D. of the 150 7mm bullet, especially with modern excellent performing ammo? Even the fastest hunting loads will be dropping a ton at 600 yrds with either a 100 or 200 yrd zero so you still have calculations and hold over to deal with. I have a very nice Viper 6.5X20 scope that is overkill on a hunting rifle but begging to be put to good use. The difference between the two rounds is that on one I would zero at 100 and the other 200. After I use the drop lines out to 500yrds I still have to dial up past that, just to the degree is the variable.
I also realize from my schools and training that wind plays a huge role and is the hardest to dope. But again I figure you still have to contend with it either way, just to the degree.

I also think that for the intended purpose of the rifle either of the terminal ballistics will be plenty. I am only going to use this rifle for deer/ sheep/goat maybe Ibex if I chicken out with going bow. Everything else would be bow hunting.

What really made me consider the .308 more seriously is when you start adding practicality into the mix, meaning I want my rifle light(ish) and without a long tube. I believe that due to the efficiency you will keep more of your velocity even with the superformance ammo out of a 22in barrel with a .308 then with a 7mm Rem Mag.

Another though and where a lot of people might be interjecting is this; I do not currently hand load. I have given that up and most likely will not re-start until I have more time and older children. I know with the factory ammo that Hornady makes superformance loads for the 7mm Rem Mag and that those widen the gap quite a bit, but a lot of the long range cred for the Rem Mag came from the standard loads and not the superformance stuff. Also because of the less powder and more efficient manor of the .308 I have found that usually more factory loads shoot well out of them then a lot of other rounds (have tried the 300WM, 243, 300 Ultra, 270WSM and a few others) so I was thinking that between the SST and Interbond load in either 150 or 165 grains I would find one of those loads that the .308 really liked. I have usually found a load between 4 different ones that every .308 that I have shot really liked.

So what do you guys think??? Am I being crazy, please tear my theory apart so at least I can find a direction and stick with it and not keep going back and forth.

Sounds to me like you've already talked yourself into the .308:)

From a pure ballistics standpoint, the 7RM will do better than the 308, but you pay for it with recoil. A 7mm, 180 grain bullet leaving the muzzle at 3000 fps, will be noticeably better than a .30 caliber bullet of the same weight, leaving at 2650.

If you want a short, light gun, the 308 wins for sure. If you want the confidence of being able to cleanly kill a sheep or goat at 600 yards in lots of conditions, the 7RM has the advantage.

There are definitely lots of factory loads for 308s out there, and most people shoot them well enough.

hodgeman

WKR
I am a died in the wool rifle nut and can worry obsessively about things like BC, MV and retained energy....but the fact remains there is very little N.American hunting that the .308WIN will not handle this side of great big bears and I wouldn't hedge my bet there either. I've taken a number of deer and a pretty nice caribou with the .308 and it has performed pretty well.

Most typical shooting is well under 500 yards and the .308 is carrying the freight to at least that far- particularly if you can marry up the correct bullet for the impact velocity.

Rocky

WKR
A 308 will shoot a 180 grain bullet pretty easily to 2650 fps out of a 22" barrel. Say its a 180 grain accubond with a BC .5 at 500 yards its still just under 1900 fps, which is more than plenty for deer and sheep sized critters. They aren't made of armor by any means.

To go the other way, a 243 is a widely accept cartridge for shooting deer and sheep sized critters. Inside 200 yards an 80 grain TTSX leaving the muzzle at 3300 fps will have the same energy as a .308 shooting 180s at 2650 fps will at 500 yards. More over, even if the .308 bullet didn't expand at all the 243 would need to expand 65% its original diameter to even get up to the size of a .308 hole ;) Regardless its gonna be a dead deer. Now if one wants to run a magnum then by all means, but IMO it really isn't needed given the range the shooter states he will be shooting.

Granted I don't shoot long range, never killed anything beyond 400 yards, but I don't feel the limiting factor at 500 yards is the .308 win cartridge by any means.....

So what happens to the 308 180 grain bullet if the barrel is 20"? And if the bullet is changed to 165 grains? I don't know this I'm an archery guy😁

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Not sure what you are asking? I only have experience on actual field kills out to 400 yards with 20" barrel 308s with 130, 150, 165, and 180 grainers and they all work can't tell you at 600. Plus much more of those were with moose and caribou and grizzly than deer and sheep so take that for what it's worth.

Zuba

FNG
Have you considered the 260 with 130-140 grain bullets? Or the 6.5x284? I have a 17" barreled pistol in 6.5x284 I have shot antelope out to 4 9 yards with. You can get very high bc bullets for both. I like 7mm or 6.5 over the .30, that's just me though

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Have you considered the 260 with 130-140 grain bullets? Or the 6.5x284? I have a 17" barreled pistol in 6.5x284 I have shot antelope out to 4 9 yards with. You can get very high bc bullets for both. I like 7mm or 6.5 over the .30, that's just me though

Agreed if the focus is just deer and sheep than I wouldn't bother with either the 308 or the 7 mag but rather something of the 6.5 variety like the creedmor, swede, or 260. That said if mountain goats are on the agenda I would certainly be taking more than a 6.5 not that it won't get the job done. Just seen them critters go more than even Grizzlies will after hit. Utmost respect for goats.

OP
4IDARCHER

4IDARCHER

WKR
I am still debating a little between these two rounds, but I do think the .308 is winning out (for me). I just ran the numbers through the Nikon Spot On ballistic software using a scope of similar power/size to the Vortex Viper and here is what I found. Now again, there are Superformance loads for the 7mm Rem Mag that spread the gap some, but the fame of its long range abilities were made without this benefit.

With a 154gr 7mm bullet and using the superformance 308 150gr 30cal bullet, both with a 200yrd zero and going down the hold over circles for both rounds
7MM (200yrd zero) .308 (200yrd zero)
O 291 O 284
O394 O 377
O487 O460
O617 O 575
O732 O 674

As you can see except for the longer ranges (out past 600 yards) they stay really competitive in trajectory. Now penetration I would have to give up to the 7Mag as its SD would be much better for bullet weight used but with todays excellent ammo such as the SST, Interbond, Accubond (LR), TSX,and dozens of others how large of a role on non-giant sized game does SD come into play? I guess that is the biggest question that I am thinking right now.

I used to get so specific in choosing rifle/cartridge/bullet for any hunt mostly because I was a rifle nut. Now I wonder how much of that was theory and how much of that actually impacted the outcomes of the shots I took.

I will still be a bow hunter almost exclusively but would like to keep up a better shooting practice routine and like I said every now and then for mulies or antelope or sheep then this rifle will come out.

Also as others posted about the 6.5mm and tamer 7mm, I do think that they are all awesome rounds, but in the rifles I am looking at they are not chambered. Also I do like the ability to set up in bullet weight if I need to and like the availability of ammo of the .308

IAHNTR

WKR
Iowa guy here too. East of CR . I'd go with the 308 that your leaning towards and shoot the crap out of it and if you feel you need more then there ya can move up. Ballistics aside for those distances it will work just fine. A little more elevation and windage will put the bullet in the same spot, but I guess you can say that about any cartridge comparison. The Moffat's kill tons of stuff with theirs in a short barrel format.

165gr. BTSP @ your stated 2840 gives you roughly 13.6moa elev. and 9.8moa windage at 600.
168gr. Berger VLD @ 3000 gives roughly 10.4moa elev. and 5.7moa windage at 600.
Both zeroed at 100 and 10 mph full value. Maybe not the best bullets to compare, but I have a 7RM and have shot the 168's so that's why I picked it.