Idaho Spring Bears. Spot n' Stalk

2rocky

WKR
I'm really wanting to do a Spring Bear hunt.

I like the open terrain of Units 14, 18, and 23
I've been through these units on Highway 95, as well as been to Pittsburg Landing an up the Salmon on Jetboat

I see that the season opens on April 15 for all these units and goes through the end of May or early June.

If you had to pick a week in 2015 when would you pick?

Would one of these units offer higher bear densities and less competition from baiters?

How mobile should I expect to be? Find roadless areas or drive from over look to overlook?

Some folks who have hunted the Oregon Side had good luck with calls in the spring...any thoughts? I know they work in the Fall...

Rizzy

WKR
Usually May/June is when I see Bears. This winter has been relatively mild down here and it seems to be warming up already, so maybe they come out earlier this year. Personally, I seem to have more Bear encounters in late May and June after they have been out for a while and the snow line is 8K+.

I've never been in any of those units, so I can't offer advice there. Except for the Owyhees units, all the units surrounding the Boise area seem to be full of Bears. Going in blind, if you cover a different drainage each day, then you will probably run into one by the third day if not sooner in the higher density areas. I think I see a bear about every other scouting trip from late April through June and these are just Sat/Sun trips. They are out feeding a lot in May. Half the time I glass them up while glassing, other times I cross paths while walking up a canyon bottom or along a trail.

Maybe pick an area you plan to Deer/Elk hunt one day and make a backpack trip out of it. A long drainage that goes up into the summer range will be a good bet. The only problem is that the river/creek will be at high flow and hard to cross where the trail crosses. Year before last I found a huge Elk shed, a nice black bear, a few Bucks, and a herd of Elk on the mountain side just above the trail.