CO DPW responds to visible moose hunt near Boulder, CO

Carlin59

WKR
This story http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-...ildlife-officials-moose-shot-by-bow-hunter-at irked me when it first came out this fall. Per the 2015 CO hunting brochure, Parks and Wildlife has closed off this prime hunting area (Brainard Lake) for the 2015 season, obviously as a result. It would be nice if Parks and Wildlife took more a stand for the people actually paying for conservation (and their salaries) in this state.

Last edited:

bz_711

WKR
You have got to be kidding...they keep referencing the kids "seeing" that and their "safety"...Um...how about teaching the kids a thing or two about life, meat, and being prepared when you step into the wild. But nothing bad had to happen for those kids to enjoy chicken nuggets later that day...

I cannot wait until the day I can moose hunt. I already talk to my kids enough about it that when they see a picture of a moose...they say "that is a lot of meat"

I love coming to CO annually for Elk and family outdoor trips...but I sure worry about the direction that state is heading...

Really random question and not really pertaining to this article. But how many points does it take to draw a non resident moose tag in Colorado? Like a semi decent unit. Not premier unit

OP
Carlin59

Carlin59

WKR
I haven't researched the non-res PP game much, but I do know moose (along with mtn goat and sheep) is a weighted draw in CO. Once you have at least 3 preference points, you at least have a chance in the draw. So that doesn't really answer your question, outside of that you could draw a premier unit with as little as 3 points. Good luck, being up close and personal with a moose (especially Ma and calves) definitely makes you feel alive!
Cody

1hoda

Banned
The Brainerd Lake example is the latest in a streak of wins for the anti hunters. If sportsmen don't step up and let our voices be heard, this is only the tip of the iceberg. CPW tells me that most of the meetings they hold have less than 5 people attending. When our rights are gone we'll have no one to blame but ourselves.

On the points question- it's around 18-19 in most units if my memory is correct. The hardest part of killing a moose in CO is drawng the tag.

SethH

Lil-Rokslider
Call me a wacko but, I'm starting to feel like the only way to fight these extremist is with somewhat extreme measures our selves. There is so much closed land where I live that Im beginning to think we should try to get our wildlife managment areas closed to non hunting use. I am constantly running into dog walkers and hikers when trying to enjoy hunts of these lands set aside for hunting and fishing. If its going to happen to us it needs to happen to them. These people are always finding ways to get rid of us from places and experience we pay for. I wonder how much those hikers and campers put into preserving moose and the area around that park probably minimal if not nothing at all.

Nalgene

Lil-Rokslider
Most states have a law against impeding a hunt. I am all for all persons paying a fee to use the same property/resources be they hunting or hiking.

zman

Lil-Rokslider
In fact, moose were reintroduced to Colorado in 1978 with hunter dollars.

Wish somebody would put this on the front page and not all the other stuff.

topher89

WKR
I have mixed feelings on this. When I hunt, I try to get away from the crowd, not have an audience of a 100. Brainard Lake is always packed on the weekends.

The hunter was legally ok to do what he did but it was not a choice I would have made

zman

Lil-Rokslider
Actually, Colorado does a very good job of showing the public what hunters do for wildlife. They have had their "Hug a Hunter" ad campaign for over two years now.

I hear ya. What I meant was that none of these photographers they interview are footing the bill for reintroducing moose.

1hoda

Banned
The just solution is to close these areas to hikers, etc during moose season. As has been mentioned, hunters paid for the moose to begin with. Further, hunters all buy habitat stamps, license, etc. Maybe photographers and hikers should be required to do the same. It's welfare system- hunters pay for the wildlife that everyone enjoys.

Most states have self funded game & fish departments (funding comes from license sales not the state general fund). CO is one of the recent states where beaureaucrats couldn't keep their paws off the cash so they merged DOW and Parks department so now hunters get to foot more of the bill for everyone. Sorry for the rant.

This is also what happens when a bunch of liberal yuppies get jobs at the division of wildlife. Have any of you been to an office lately to check in a bear or lion? Some of them act like you shot their best friend and you can just see how pissed off they are. I hated to see this outcome with the moose hunt, but when all the yuppie uproar begin I knew which way the division would bend

bobhunts

WKR
I believe what you just said Stid is gonna happen in Washington. They are gonna move wolves to western Washington so they get a taste of them if it comes about.

HONEYBADGER

Lil-Rokslider
This story http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-...ildlife-officials-moose-shot-by-bow-hunter-at irked me when it first came out this fall. Per the 2015 CO hunting brochure, Parks and Wildlife has closed off this prime hunting area (Brainard Lake) for the 2015 season, obviously as a result. It would be nice if Parks and Wildlife took more a stand for the people actually paying for conservation (and their salaries) in this state.

It is the liberal way. The supposedly "tolerant" left immediately tries to shut down anything they don't agree with.

topher89

WKR
It is the liberal way. The supposedly "tolerant" left immediately tries to shut down anything they don't agree with.

Kind of.... I posted this earlier in the thread but Brainard Lake is crazy busy on the weekends. Hunting moose there would be like hunting moose right next to Disneyland where all the park-goers could see. Sure it's legal but not the best choice.

Again, nothing he did was illegal but right or wrong, it was dumb and lazy. The moose there see thousands of people a year and have no problem being 25 yards away. The eat and munch food with 20 or 30 people taking pictures within eye sight.

Hunters should fight the good fight to keep public lands open but we also have a responsibility to present ourselves as ethical and intelligent. Shooting a petting zoo moose in front of an audience next to parking lot is neither ethical or intelligent