Backpack Month: Review of Stone Glacier's Sky 7400 + a chance to win one!

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
attachment.php

attachment.php

Rokslide is kicking off backpack month with a few reviews and giveaways. I spent the last year or so with a Sky 7400. Below is a link to the review, and some information about Stone Glacier's pack giveaway!

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/backpacks/324-stone-glacier-sky-7400

Stone Glacier has generously donated a Sky 7400 to one lucky Rokslide member. To get entered for the drawing, all you need to do is read the review. If you like it head over to Stone Glacier's Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/stoneglacier) and look for the post referencing the review. Post your thoughts on what you'd use the Sky 7400 pack for AND "Like" that post (that is how we know you entered).

This is the thread to discuss the review. Kurt will be checking the thread so its a good place to ask questions as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

radman

FNG
Good solid review Matt. I LOVE my Sky5100 and you're correct; there was some break in and adjustment time BUT now it fits like a glove. I am VERY happy with the pack and even more impressed with Kurt's willingness to help out. He has been extremely professional, available for questions, and appreciates feedback. My Stone Glacier is the most comfortable pack I own. Some lucky dog is going to be super impressed with their Sky7400...BEST of luck to those entered in the contest!

frans

Lil-Rokslider
Kurt, for shrimpy guys like me, would you recommend a chat before ordering, to make sure all the right gizmos are attached in the right size/thickness? I have trouble getting the scale to read anything above 135 lbs, at 5'7". I can see the challenge in having one set-up fit me and also a 6'5" linebacker type of person.

Frans

RedStag

Lil-Rokslider
Everytime I look at these packs I get more interested. My hunting partner is ordering a sky 5100, looks like I'll have a guinea pig for trials.
Great to hear that a guy can order up product and speak directly to the engineer. Im looking forward to more reviews of Stone Glacier packs this year. Anyone been using the new sky archer??

Trr15

WKR
Thanks for the review. I've been considering trying out an SG pack for a while now.

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
I have been staring at the SG packs for a couple years now and wanting one bad. They would definitely cut some weight from my current setup and increase the carrying capacity at the same time. If I were lucky enough to win this one I know it would be used for my all my elk and mule deer hunts and the dream hunt that I decided to bite the bullet on and do before it's too late.....DALL SHEEP 2017!!!!

i just spoke with them this week regarding the sky archer 6200, seem like nice people and great packs

Mtnboy

WKR
Good write up.

I never ended up using my original belt pulls as I was too skinny to make them work properly it seemed, maybe I'll have to order up the newer version to try out.

As everyone has said, I ran a few questions by Kurt before pulling the trigger on mine last Spring and he was awesome to deal with....when I met him at Sheep Show this year, just as expected, he was a genuinely nice guy. I like to give my money to good people and good companies, I plan on being a lifelong Stone Glacier customer.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good write up.

I never ended up using my original belt pulls as I was too skinny to make them work properly it seemed, maybe I'll have to order up the newer version to try out.

As everyone has said, I ran a few questions by Kurt before pulling the trigger on mine last Spring and he was awesome to deal with....when I met him at Sheep Show this year, just as expected, he was a genuinely nice guy. I like to give my money to good people and good companies, I plan on being a lifelong Stone Glacier customer.
I ended with an extra set. I think Kurt would want you to have them. PM me your address and I'll mail them off to you!

Last edited:
Loved reading about SG on Journal of Mountain Hunting, I think Kurt did a Q&A there. I have ordered a few things from them since then, and am still saving for their packs.

I do have a question for Kurt/SG. Would you say your packs fit small/medium framed men or medium/large framed men better? Reason im asking is because I have heard from a few people that some companies are better suited for a specific size. Im a few states over from MT, otherwise id drop in for a sizing!

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Loved reading about SG on Journal of Mountain Hunting, I think Kurt did a Q&A there. I have ordered a few things from them since then, and am still saving for their packs.

I do have a question for Kurt/SG. Would you say your packs fit small/medium framed men or medium/large framed men better? Reason im asking is because I have heard from a few people that some companies are better suited for a specific size. Im a few states over from MT, otherwise id drop in for a sizing!
I have met in Kurt in person, as have many; he is a tall dude! I'm 5'11" 165lbs. My buddy is 6'1" and has the same build. Guy I hunted with on Raspberry is shorter than I and he loves his Solo pack. I can't say it works for all sizes, but I've seen it fit a large height range just between the 4 of us. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
This is a killer pack. A buddy of mine picked it up and before last hutning season. Way lighter than my old MR. I would say that SG is on par with KIfaru. Its a toss up for me. I use the SG whenever my buddy isn't otherwise im using a Kifaru long hunter.

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Highcountry, thanks for the time and effort to put together such a thorough review, very well done.

Frans, I don't think you will need anything outside of the standard package. We have many customers that are similar size to you, I don't foresee any fit issues. However, we are always available to help in the fitting process and can help if there is any fine tuning you need to do after some test miles.

Timbosice, I have not noticed any trends in regards to sizing, we have customers of all heights and shapes in our packs. The primary decision is belt sizing, from there the frame and suspension are very modular and allow a multitude of adjustments. You can even change the angle at which the shoulder straps come off the frame depending on your shoulder width. As I mentioned to Frans, we are always available for fit or function questions.

Best,
Kurt

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
Solid review i'll be forwarding to my hunting buddy who's in the market for a new pack right now. Thanks!

DaveC

WKR
pack month

Good job on the article, and (Rokslide staff) on the whole pack month series in general. Enjoyable reading. I'd like to see more objective data in these articles; things like packbag dimensions. As mentioned in the Exo article, cubic inch ratings are inherently fuzzy, and things like bag height and upper and lower circumference not only give a more concrete idea of size, but also provide feedback on how the designer choose to address various issues of pack performance.

Keep up the good work.

In an age of internet shopping it's a blessing to have a company go the extra mile to keep customers happy. That's a sign of a quality company and a great business plan. Great, honest review that proclaims the confidence one has in a company which means as much or more as "I like this and don't like that" review. good job Highcountry and good job Stone Glacier.

Manosteel

WKR
Nice review, finally got my hands on a Stone Glaceir pack at the SCI convention in Vegas! Light is an understatement and it felt very well made and practical for mountain hunting.