Backpack month: Exo Mountain Gear Pack Review by Mark Huelsing (and win, too!)

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Guest Contributor Mark Huelsing is here for Backpack Month with his review on Exo Mountain Gear's Pack. See how the new kid on the block of backpacks performed:

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/backpacks/326-exo-pack-review

Even better, you can win an Exo Pack or accessories! That's right, in the spirit of Boot Month, owner and designer Steve Speck is giving away one Exo Pack (3500 or 6500) to one winner, 2 accessories to another winner, and 1 accessory to another winner. Wow Santa Claus!

It is so easy to enter (and FB haters unite, you don't need a FB account!)

After you read the review, just go to this link:

http://exomountaingear.com/shop/

and follow the clear instructions to get on the pre-order list. You have until March 18th to get on the list. Then Steve will send me the eligible list and I'll draw three names for the Exo Pack, 2 accessories, and 1 accessory. There is no purchase required BUT if you get on the pre-order list, you are expected to buy a pack if you don't win, so be serious on this one!

Last edited:
Great article Mark. I have the 3500 and also packed out an elk with it. I agree100% with everything written. Will be ordering the 5500 for use on longer trips.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I stopped by the Exo Mountain Gear Booth at the Western Hunting & Conservation Expo in Salt Lake. Steve was glad to give us a complete video of the EXO. If you want to see everything it has, here you go
[video=vimeo;120220056]https://vimeo.com/120220056[/video]

Vandal 44

WKR
Very nice write up on the EXO pack. I too have the EXO 3500 and have similar thoughts, for the budget minded person you can't go wrong with this pack.

There are only two things I am not happy with 1) The lid us very noisy in cold weather and 2) The shoulder straps are to short for me I wish they where about 4 inches longer. I need to see if I can have those straps lengthened.

I have owned two different Kifaru packs and liked them (Bikini and the Duplex) but dollar for dollar, I think the EXO is a better value.

MLHSN

Lil-Rokslider
Glad to hear your thoughts Vandal. I just picked up the 5500 and can't wait for time off work to try it.

stinky

FNG
Vandal, how do you mean the shoulder straps were too short? You a bigger guy and need more length to fit? I'm 6'3" and looking to trim my some of the 240# of "mostly" muscle and looking at this pack. Wondering if I'd have the same issue. Thanks

Vandal 44

WKR
I am 6' 2" and weigh in at 235 pounds, I am built like a linebacker. The shoulder strap are to short for me, when I loosen the pack to take it off I end up having to re-thread the strap before I put it back on. (I hope this make sense)

I need to say this is a great pack and I hope these comments don't come across like I am bashing thats not my intention.

I have packed out one elk, I did that in two loads with no issues over a few miles and a whitetail in one load. I took this pack on three backcountry hunts one hunt was for 4 days and the other two hunts where 7 days. for the 7 day hunts I used 2 of the Kifaru long pockets that where 1000 cu (I needed just a littler more room) I used the EXO 3500 on to many day trips to count.

When I went on the backcountry hunts I really like how the pack can haul your camp and then you turn around and use it for a daypack. When using the EXO 3500 for a daypack it has a very low profile and it feels like the EXO is a part of you. Another nice feature in the design of the EXO is how narrow it is at the base of the pack, it doesn't balloon out when its loaded with my kill kit, game bags, lunch and puffy jacket.

I you have any other questions please let me know.

Very nice write up on the EXO pack. I too have the EXO 3500 and have similar thoughts, for the budget minded person you can't go wrong with this pack.

There are only two things I am not happy with 1) The lid us very noisy in cold weather and 2) The shoulder straps are to short for me I wish they where about 4 inches longer. I need to see if I can have those straps lengthened.

I have owned two different Kifaru packs and liked them (Bikini and the Duplex) but dollar for dollar, I think the EXO is a better value.

Vandal,
Both of these are things we have addressed and changed for 2015. The lid is now 500d Cordura on the bottom and the collar is made of a much heavier and quieter 420d Diamond Ripstop.

The shoulder harness foam is 1.5" longer on each side and the straps have been increased in length as well.

Thanks,
Steve

Vandal,
Both of these are things we have addressed and changed for 2015. The lid is now 500d Cordura on the bottom and the collar is made of a much heavier and quieter 420d Diamond Ripstop.

The shoulder harness foam is 1.5" longer on each side and the straps have been increased in length as well.

Thanks,
Steve

Just take my money already :)

Vandal 44

WKR
Steve, Can I get a descent deal on a trade-in lol. Those are the only two things I would have changed with the EXO 3500. Its nice to see a company that listens to the constructive criticism and does something about it.

Thanks again
Steve

Steve, Can I get a descent deal on a trade-in lol. Those are the only two things I would have changed with the EXO 3500. Its nice to see a company that listens to the constructive criticism and does something about it.

Thanks again
Steve

Yeah we definitely listened to the feedback from all of our customers and with another year of personal experience wearing the pack fixed the little things that popped up along the way.

stinky

FNG
Thanks Vandal and S&S. I definitely wouldn't call myself the linebacker type. More of Wisconsin beer drinker type. Seriously considering getting one of these.

Plan on using this for 4+days of elk hunting Colorado. Any of the accessories/add-on's that one shouldn't go without? What about water bladder storage?

Thanks Vandal and S&S. I definitely wouldn't call myself the linebacker type. More of Wisconsin beer drinker type. Seriously considering getting one of these.

Plan on using this for 4+days of elk hunting Colorado. Any of the accessories/add-on's that one shouldn't go without? What about water bladder storage?

I definitely recommend getting at least 1 hipbelt pouch. The Load Panel and Meat Shelf are great accessories but not completely necessary. For water bladder storage the Slurpy Stalker is an awesome accessory if you want to have a dedicated bag for your bladder.

Steve

Vandal 44

WKR
I have a 100oz water bladder that I hang between the pack and the frame. This works very well for me; If my bladder leak for some reason the things in the pack will not get wet. That has happened to me on several occasion. I like the hip belt pouches for my elk calls, wind checker, rangefinder and lite snacks. I do not have the meat shelf or load panel they do sound like a good idea. Stinky you can't go wrong with this EXO 3500 it would be a great choice for a 3 to 5 day hunt best of luck.

Gerry

Is there a way to hang my bladder without the Slurpy?

We don't have a dedicated pocket just for a water bladder. We do have webbing loops sewn on the frame panel, inside the bag and in each side pocket. Either one of those 4 places are great to hang a bladder.

Steve