Where to start earning points?

black525

WKR
Other than Montana 680 and 482, what states/units should I be applying for a tag. Time is hopefully on my side in as I'm only 25 and I'd really like to hunt sheep in the lower 48 one day. Thanks in advance.

bradb

WKR
Any place and every place that offers sheep tags and yo can afford to apply in

What Bradb said! Not sure the points will ever pay out for you, as your starting too late, I'm in your same boat, started playing the out of state application game a couple of years ago, and have 9pts as a resident in Wyoming, I'll likely never draw a sheep tag based off of points only, the random draw is your(and my) only friend! Long odds but I promise you WON'T draw if you don't put in!

deadwolf

WKR
You're only 25? You are absolutely NOT starting too late. You should apply everywhere, I'm 100% certain of that. Alaska, Oregon, New Mexico, Texas, Montana, and Idaho have no points. You have a chance in any of those states. Colorado has no points for desert sheep. Other states have a points system but still allow for a percentage of tags to go into a random draw. I will tell you that to play this game is very expensive, at least if you want the best opportunities. Put in for other animals too would be my advice, that way while you're waiting for that elusive sheep tag you can still hunt and maybe see some of the country you'll hunt someday. Now with all that said, please don;t apply for the hunts I want. : ) good luck!

WKR
When I was 25, I didn't have $15000 to loan to the various states for low chances at sheep. I lived in the midwest and did what it took to get to Colorado though at age 28. If you are serious about increasing your hunting opportunities, go west young man, go west.

OP
B

black525

WKR
When I was 25, I didn't have $15000 to loan to the various states for low chances at sheep. I lived in the midwest and did what it took to get to Colorado though at age 28. If you are serious about increasing your hunting opportunities, go west young man, go west.

That's great advice and in another life I'd be all over it, but I'm pretty involved in my family's farm and my wife and I are putting down roots.

WKR
Our family is spread out and it was not tough for us to move. If you want to kill a sheep, I'd probably start saving for a Dall hunt before the price tags go even higher. Good luck and once you get one, you'll want another.

TEmbry

WKR
Quickest and easiest way to hunt sheep is to start saving and go for Dall Sheep up north. $50 a week for 6 years even at a measly 5% return gives you north of $18k to work with. Book the hunt 2-3 years in advance to lock in a spot/rates and save save save. If it is a serious goal, you will make it work. And honestly, if you plan to hire a guide for help on a lower 48 hunt, this may come out cheaper in the long run for total money spent.

But as others have said, easiest way is to move to where the sheep are. I'm playing the points game and moving to Alaska as well.

OP
B

black525

WKR
Quickest and easiest way to hunt sheep is to start saving and go for Dall Sheep up north. $50 a week for 6 years even at a measly 5% return gives you north of $18k to work with. Book the hunt 2-3 years in advance to lock in a spot/rates and save save save. If it is a serious goal, you will make it work. And honestly, if you plan to hire a guide for help on a lower 48 hunt, this may come out cheaper in the long run for total money spent.

But as others have said, easiest way is to move to where the sheep are. I'm playing the points game and moving to Alaska as well.

That's a great tip about saving. I've been putting away as much as I can but never crunched the numbers. Definitely has my interest peaked.

sagebucks

FNG
Nevada Is a no brainer there is more nonresident desert bighorn sheep tags than just about all the other states combined. They also have California bighorns and rockies. If you are going to apply in Nevada you might aswell apply for all tags or atleast get bonus points and then when you have the funds apply for actual tags. You will already be buying the $142 license and there is only application fees to apply. Plus you can draw a great tag in Nevada with no points. It only took me 6 years to draw my desert sheep tag and this year will be my first year back in the draw after the 10 year waiting period.

jm1607

WKR
Not including Alaska..

NV, TX, MT, AZ, UT, ID would be my top/must pics..

These are what I personally apply for sheep wise except for MT.. I don't care for the recent price hike and system change, but still better odds than half the states!

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I agree with the special sheep savings account. If you truly want to sheep hunt. By the time you figure gown many thousand dollars you will spend applying in multiple states over the year, plus the cost of a non resident tag. They are not getting any cheaper. And I'm guessing as a non resident with a once in a life tag in your pocket you are more than likely going to hire a guide. In all reality it will probably be a wash or close to it on the true cost of a lower 48 hunt. Another thing you might do in keep yourself in top shape once you have your savings built up and find a cancelation hunt. Between now and then you should go to some sheep shows and start making contacts.

Falcon

Lil-Rokslider
Our family is spread out and it was not tough for us to move. If you want to kill a sheep, I'd probably start saving for a Dall hunt before the price tags go even higher. Good luck and once you get one, you'll want another.

What he said!!!!

OP
B

black525

WKR
I Another thing you might do in keep yourself in top shape once you have your savings built up and find a cancelation hunt. Between now and then you should go to some sheep shows and start making contacts.

How does the cancelation hunt work? Get on an outfitters radar and they call if/when someone backs out? I'm guessing there would be some sort of a discount on their end?

OP
B

black525

WKR
Thanks for the info everyone. Applied for points in Utah yesterday and will likely apply for Nevada and Montana as well.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Odds are like winning lottery points don't change odds much got to put in and hope to get lucky every year. This is not an event your ever going to know is happening unless you open your wallet and buy an auction tag