OR Spring Bear Results Up

charvey9

WKR
I did not even know they drew yet, but checked my info online. Was hoping to draw Weneha with 1 point, but got my back-up again for the North Cascades unit. I know there is a big bear up there where I've been roaming the past few seasons, got close to him 2 years ago, but it is some thick stuff.

Anyone else get lucky?

My wife and I were both unsuccessful for Minam and South Blues second choice. My uncle, brothers in law and hunting partners got minam though so ill probably still be over there.

OP
charvey9

charvey9

WKR
My wife and I were both unsuccessful for Minam and South Blues second choice. My uncle, brothers in law and hunting partners got minam though so ill probably still be over there.

Nice. I like that country. My inlaws live in Pendleton and have a little super cub and airstrip right at the house. Its fun to fly up into Red's Horse ranch and fish the Minam. Never seen any bears up there, but I'm sure they are around.

huntin'monkey

Lil-Rokslider
Do they list online the number of Southwest OTC bear tags already sold. I haven't picked up my sportspack yet, and probably won't for another week or two. I am hoping to hit some areas near the Kalmiopsis and/or a bit of industrial forestland southwest of Coos Bay that is just loaded with tasty, tasty bears.

aboltlrhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think they do. Or at least that I've seen. You should be ok though, last year I bought my OTC within the last week before the season started.

All of the SW OTC tags have been sold, I believe they sold out before the draw.

I was unsuccessful for the Alsea/Stott Mountain tag, looks like I'll be sitting out spring bear this year.

OP
charvey9

charvey9

WKR
Dang. Sounds like no one got their first choice....fingers crossed that our luck is being saved for the fall draw.

OP
charvey9

charvey9

WKR
I went up high in North Cascades today. 4500' and no snow, and everything is pretty dried out. Last year snow didn't melt off in the same area until mid to late may. Not sure if that means the bears will be coming out earlier or not. Last season I didn't start seeing sign until the season was almost over.

I went up high in North Cascades today. 4500' and no snow, and everything is pretty dried out. Last year snow didn't melt off in the same area until mid to late may. Not sure if that means the bears will be coming out earlier or not. Last season I didn't start seeing sign until the season was almost over.
Winters not over yet usually the last couple yrs we get pounded with weather march and april

tttoadman

WKR
a foot of snow at pass level this weekend. I hope to test out my new 3 pc belt, new shelter and rain gear this weekend above the house. I will keep my eye out for bears and let you guys know if I see anything.

OP
charvey9

charvey9

WKR
North Cascades opens Wednesday and I just happened to have a few days off! Looks like it is going to be a cold rainy/snow mix for the next couple of days. I'll be heading up on the 31st to set up camp and hunt opening day on the 1st. There will probably be a little snow over 4000', but nothing like last year. Good luck to everybody!

aboltlrhunter

Lil-Rokslider
You too. I'll be heading up there in Saturday. Unfortunately my spring bear season will only consist of day hunts on the weekend. I would love to get out there for a longer period of time.

OP
charvey9

charvey9

WKR
So close last weekend. Walked up on one at 57 yards. Just enough time to knock and arrow and range before the wind swirled and he had me. He turned and looked right through me for like 5 seconds, and then was gone before I could draw. Needed about 10 more seconds and he would be in the box!