Talkeetna,Stephan Lake

bean32hi

FNG
Was wondering if anyone has hunted Stephan lake north east of talkeetna for caribou. I drew a tag this year in area 13E.

Beastmode

WKR
Maybe do an introduction on the new guy section instead of your first post being asking about a unit. Welcome to rokslide nevertheless.

Ray

WKR
A friend that has his own float plane and did engineering for the lodge owner took a nice bull there three or four years ago. He also took a nice grizzly that wouldn't take a hint to scram. The animals are not dense so you may have a lot of walking to find one on the hills.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Bean, check with the biologist for GMU 13 and ask him about caribou potential, and also historically for that tag where has been the most successful. The number in Glennallen is 907-822-3461.

I dont have experience with the lake you mentioned, sorry. Hopefully you get some pointers from the bio.

larry

Gznokes

Lil-Rokslider
I went fishing up there at Stephan Lake Lodge over Memorial day about 20 years ago and had a blast. If you don't get into the caribou you should be able to do well for big rainbows and silvers in the river that runs into the lake. I also remember a lot of big caribou racks hanging around the place. Sorry I don't have more current information.

MTNRCHR

Lil-Rokslider
I have guided that area in the past. PM me if you want specifics.

BRWNBR

WKR
Watanna lake and Clarence lake are will serve you better. Stephan is below treeline.