Book recommendations?

HighHunter1232

Lil-Rokslider
I'm interested in learning more about the process of becoming proficient at longer distances. I'm starting with a very basic/limited knowledge on the subject. I currently own a Winchester model 70 in .300 win mag with a basic Nikon buckmaster 3x9 scope. I am comfortable at shots in the 250 yard range at deer, but would love to extend that to the 600 yard ballpark someday. With two young kiddos at home, I'm likely not springing for some custom rifle or learning how/acquiring the supplies to reload my own ammo. I could certainly upgrade my scope. I have been reading forums and watching online videos, but I prefer books when trying to learn something. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan

Where in western washington do you live?
Best thing to do is find someone who does it. 600 yards really shouldn't be too difficult if your rifle holds 1 moa. I haven't read it but brain litz applied ballistics book probably has enough to answer any question.

land cruiser

Lil-Rokslider
Litz - accuracy and precision for long range shooting, applied ballistics for long range shooting.

Miller/Cunningham - the wind book for rifle shooters

Nogunjoe

FNG
Ditto's on the Bryan Litz books.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
The only way to become proficient at long range shooting, is to do a lot of it:)

No book or video will get you there. They will however, help explain some of the influences the bullet is under on its way to the target. To that end, I would recommend "Understanding Firearm Ballistics" by Robert A. Rinker. I've read all of Brian Litz's books, and feel Rinker's does a better job of explaining the bullet in flight. Litz knows his stuff, no doubt, but his books read more like test results (which a lot of them are about.)

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Firearm-Ballistics-Robert-Rinker/dp/0964559854 (ignore the reviews)

Shawn Carlock's video, "A How-To Guide For Long Range Hunting" covers a lot of the equipment and techniques we use for long range hunting.
http://www.defensiveedge.net/index.php/dvd-s

BigSky

WKR
Thanks. I'm in Snoqualmie.

Wow, I'll bet you never have to spell "Snoqualmie" to anybody on the phone, huh? Anyway, I'm no long range expert; but, I have been a military firearms instructor for many years. A very good book for techniques and explanations of a lot involved in long range shooting overall is "The Ultimate Sniper" by Major John Plaster. I've recommended this to a lot of people and those who buy it generally agree that it is quite good and quite helpful. In addition to good information on equipment and techniques, there is a lot of other interesting reading also.

Lexington

FNG
Read Brian Litz's book

Also, his company - ABM Ammo - produces a long-range target load for the 300wm w/210gr Berger VLD's.
Since you're buying factory ammo, consider spending a couple extra bucks per box for some of this stuff... if your gun likes it, it will be loaded to more precise measurements with less variation batch-to-batch.