consistency question

COhuntin

FNG
So I'm lacking in my consistency.....I'm just curious if someone can offer some advise on my shots. For the most part I have about a 3 inch group. Mostly, I shoot a hair low, but I contribute that to squeezing the trigger as I raise my bow up and don't wait for the sight to be in the center of target. I experience what I believe is anticipating the shot or jerking the trigger. I will, in times, catch myself pulling the bow forward with shaking with out the bow going off as if I was going to shoot.(best I can explain it) Some of my groupings are tight while others are 5-6 inch group. I would like to be more consistent in my shots to have more confidence. I would like some advise on how to consistently have tight groups not just hoping or it. I would guess I am anticipating the shot not waiting for it, but how to I solve that? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, I know this group has some expertise.

Silentstalker

Lil-Rokslider
Get a back tension release. Start at 10 yards and work on your form. Turn your poundage down and perfect your shot. All,of these will help you shoot better.

I fought through this about seven years ago. I was punching the trigger BAD! I could shoot pretty good, but I was completely doing drive by shots where I would punch the trigger when I thought the pin was on my target.

I did a TON of shooting with my eyes closed. I increased the trigger weight on my release, lowered the draw weight on my bow, and completely concentrated on pulling through my shot. I shot many arrows with my eyes closed, focusing on the entire shot sequence. After time, I started shooting at 10 yards. If I started to anticipate the shot, I'd let down and start over.

Learn to let your pin float on the target. It will never be completely still and that's okay. Once I acquire my pin, I focus on my target and let my pin blur out anyway. Then, I focus on pulling on my release until the arrow is gone.

Hopefully I explained this in a way that it's of some use. Good luck, it takes times and perfect practice.

Manosteel

WKR
I fought through this about seven years ago. I was punching the trigger BAD! I could shoot pretty good, but I was completely doing drive by shots where I would punch the trigger when I thought the pin was on my target.

I did a TON of shooting with my eyes closed. I increased the trigger weight on my release, lowered the draw weight on my bow, and completely concentrated on pulling through my shot. I shot many arrows with my eyes closed, focusing on the entire shot sequence. After time, I started shooting at 10 yards. If I started to anticipate the shot, I'd let down and start over.

Learn to let your pin float on the target. It will never be completely still and that's okay. Once I acquire my pin, I focus on my target and let my pin blur out anyway. Then, I focus on pulling on my release until the arrow is gone.

Hopefully I explained this in a way that it's of some use. Good luck, it takes times and perfect practice.

This is excellent advice. Followed the same process when I went from wrist style to hand held release. Took about a month of blind shooting and up close bale shooting (eyes open but no target) to retain my body and mind. Hard to grasp but once target is acquired focus on it and let the pin float and then focus on pulling thru the shot!

martin_shooter

Lil-Rokslider

Completely agree with Jason. The best thing you can do is get a hinge release and learn to shoot it. Blank bailing is boring as hell... but it is great for learning how to pull through a shot and leave it as crisp and clean as possible. If you shoot a wrist strap, crank your tension way up and put your thumb between your index finger and trigger. If you shoot a hand held release do the same. Once you are able to achieve a consistent surprise release on the range you can start working on a more accurate hunting release.

OP
C

COhuntin

FNG
Thanks for the advice. I am surprised at info of focusing on the target not the pin. When I was taught to shoot my handgun, I was told to focus on the front sight and let the target blur out. So I was applying that principle to shooting my bow as well. I guess I should change things around. I saw a video the other day on blind shooting. Clearly, I should listen to that video and practice it. Thank you

Jimbob

WKR
Good advice up above.

I am a decent shot and a few years back was shooting 3D quite a bit. Middle of the season I changed from a hair trigger release to a carter 2 shot with a heavy spring for a very heavy trigger pull. I loved the felling of it but it showed my flaws. The next two tournaments I had some of the worse scores of my life and shot my first and second "0" of my life. The new release showed that every once and awhile I would punch my trigger. The light release was more forgiving when I punched the trigger and I would only miss small. The heavy trigger, when punched, would result in a BIG miss.

It took awhile with the new release but it made me a much better shot. I had to really focus on squeezing and never punching the trigger and now that I went through that I always squeeze.

So like others mentioned changing up the release and reprogramming yourself to execute the shot smoothly can really help.

Jimbob

WKR
Oh ya focusing on the target is huge for me, I need to stare a hole through the spot I want to hit if I want to be accurate.

Part of my shot routine before drawing the bow is staring at the spot I want to hit and visualizing my arrow hitting that spot. Then I lift my bow to the height where I can see the spot between my sight ring and my arrow on the rest and draw my bow starring at the spot the whole time. This keep the bow at a level height when I draw, not pointing way up or way down, and it keeps me focused on what I want to hit. Then I close one eye and get my form and anchor in place while looking at sight, peep and level etc. When that is all set I open my second eye and focus on aiming. Having both eyes opened probably helped my shooting above anything else. Especially for 3d targets, being able to see the whole animal and pick the right spot is awesome. The second eye really helps me to see the target and focus on my spot I want to hit, at the same time as placing the pin. Then when aiming I start squeezing and keep on aiming and focusing on the spot and BAM the shot goes off.

charvey9

WKR
Target panic. Just practice holding your pin on the target without shooting, and learn what that feels like, to break the poor habits and muscle memory. A lot of people jump rignt to a back tension release, but what helped me was to get one of these Trufire drawcheck tools to practice with. It feels just like my trigger release and lets me practice holding the pin on target and squeezing the trigger to build up good habits.

http://www.amazon.com/Tru-Fire-27987-Trufire-Draw-Check/dp/B003DQU0RG

I haven't heard of anyone else using one of these, but it helps me when I start to get the "yips".

boom

WKR
So I'm lacking in my consistency.....I'm just curious if someone can offer some advise on my shots. For the most part I have about a 3 inch group. Mostly, I shoot a hair low, but I contribute that to squeezing the trigger as I raise my bow up and don't wait for the sight to be in the center of target. I experience what I believe is anticipating the shot or jerking the trigger. I will, in times, catch myself pulling the bow forward with shaking with out the bow going off as if I was going to shoot.(best I can explain it) Some of my groupings are tight while others are 5-6 inch group. I would like to be more consistent in my shots to have more confidence. I would like some advise on how to consistently have tight groups not just hoping or it. I would guess I am anticipating the shot not waiting for it, but how to I solve that? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, I know this group has some expertise.

here^^
have someone local show you how to use back tension on the release you already have. squeezing the trigger was my problem as well. now i just pull back, lock my finger on the trigger, pull back some more..that movement pushes the trigger forward into my stiffly held finger and the arrows just go off. it works awesome.

mt100gr.

WKR
Target panic. Just practice holding your pin on the target without shooting, and learn what that feels like, to break the poor habits and muscle memory. A lot of people jump rignt to a back tension release, but what helped me was to get one of these Trufire drawcheck tools to practice with. It feels just like my trigger release and lets me practice holding the pin on target and squeezing the trigger to build up good habits.

http://www.amazon.com/Tru-Fire-27987-Trufire-Draw-Check/dp/B003DQU0RG

I haven't heard of anyone else using one of these, but it helps me when I start to get the "yips".

These work. If I start to get punchy I will force myself to settle my pin on every spot on the target face and then let down. Sometimes I won't shoot an arrow for a few days. Just draw aim, aim, aim, let down. Repeat. By relearning what a "quiet" pin looks like on target I am able to get back to a surprise release. I would try this or a draw check release before trying back tension.

jmez

WKR
I would look for someone to take a couple of shooting lessons from. All good suggestions above but a few professional lessons will do wonders for you. Go into it with an open mind as you are likely will have to make significant form changes. I went through the exact same thing a few years ago. Retooled my form and made a huge difference.

One tip I'll add, if you change releases, I'd recommend a hook with a HEAVY trigger, take the site off of your bow for all of your blank bale shooting. If you don't it won't be long and you will be aiming at things.

bwlacy

WKR
Read Bernie Perillite (sp?) book, idiot proof archery. Lot's of good info on shooting form, aiming and the shot sequence. Also several good videos out there, I'm sure there are some on you tube, but you never know if it's good info. Learn to shoot with back tension, learn to aim and let the pin float. Your brain will center the pin, peep, sight housing and the target if you let it. Just say it to yourself xxxxxxxx, or whatever you are aiming at. A good pro shop or someone that can give you some lessons would go a long way. First thing is to make sure that your bow fits you. If your draw length is wrong you will fight your form forever and have a very hard time with the proper shot sequence and tension in your back.

charvey9

WKR
One other cheap thing to try before buying new releases and changing your entire shot, is to just try changing your target. Sometimes I think your mind get bad habits associated with punching the same style paper all the time. Shoot some 3D, different color targets, etc. You may find that helps you get back on track. Whenever I seem to be having problems with 3 spot's, I throw the a Rhinehart 18-1 out and can't miss that thing.

OP
C

COhuntin

FNG
Just wanted to thank everyone that gave some awesome advise. I have been at the range listening to your advise. Yesterday was an excellent day and was very consistent with my shots. I took the advise and put it to use. Very happy with the results. Thank you again.