WTB..golite utopia 4 tent...

Broomd

WKR
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looking for a golite utopia 4...would consider a similar 4 person freestanding floorless as well. Not looking for a teepee, I want something domed and capable of strong winds on Kodiak. Drop me a pm please, and many thanks.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I had one of those for a short time. Interesting tent, but not a true 4 season freestanding tent as they claimed (kinda like they "claim" their SL-5 was 4 season as well).

That said if I had to do it again I would get the REI Half Dome Plus and run it without the inner tent. It would be roughly 58 sq ft of space vs. 64 of the Utopia and be within an oz of each other despite the fact that the REI is actually a 3 pole design compared to the two poles of the GoLite and would trust it more in the wind than the Utopia.

Like I said cool tent, I just think the REI is more versatile and give you more options.

Worth looking into maybe? Just trying to help.
http://www.rei.com/product/878520/rei-half-dome-2-plus-tent#tab-specs

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the insights, Luke. Appreciated.

I will eyeball the REI. I used the utopia (3 I think) on Kodiak, hanging out in weather etc. Like an idiot I sold it, thinking I'd not use it again. Oy.
Four of us fit in it very well during a couple days of weather-in.

My only concern is having something large enough for 4, and something that can take some relentless winds. You probably know as well or better than any of us here in recent years with your trips to the rock.

DSCN3725_22.jpg

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
That looks like a Utopia 4 to me. They didn't make a Utopia 4 just a 1, 2 & 4. they are cool shelters for sure. Just feel that comparing my Utopia 4 to my buddy's REI I linked ya the REI seemed stouter believe it or not.

HAHA I hear ya on the Kodiak winds. After 9 hunts there in 5 years I gotta say the place is addicting for sure! Any tent is good enough there.....till its not. ;) That said I wouldn't feel too worried about the REI so long as you tried to pitch it to where you have some terrain to your advantage and you have a bomber shelter to fall back to. That said given what you are looking at doing I'd run a Hilleberg without an inner tent and really be setup but of course that is more $$$ :)

What time of year you looking at going?

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Nine times....dang.

Me likes that idea of that fast fly Hilly, but my wallet don't!
Will four people comfortably chill in the REI HD plus? We have two Rab bomber tents for sleep and spike efforts.

I'm heading in early (likely mid sept.) like I did in 2011. I was pretty happy with the hair on that early Center mnt billy.
My two prior goat hunts I went in late for hair and got flayed by the weather.
One hunt was a complete wash with the fog, did kill a few blacktails after Roland moved us down to the salt, so we had some fun.

Bump for the Utopia 4 here too....