What compass to buy?

elkhunter71

Lil-Rokslider
I have lost my compass and need to buy another one? Any suggestions on which one to buy? Anyone have one they want to sell?
Thanks Steve

I like the Silva Ranger, around $45 right now at Forestry Suppliers. May be even less expensive elsewhere. Should do all you need to do for navigating in the woods and has proven pretty durable in my experience.

I like the Silva Ranger, around $45 right now at Forestry Suppliers. May be even less expensive elsewhere. Should do all you need to do for navigating in the woods and has proven pretty durable in my experience.

X2. Used for 8-10 years and has been been durable.

IanF.

Lil-Rokslider
Silva/Brunton 15 tdc has been the standard for years, the new bruntons I like too, the green one more then the beige

Vegeman

FNG
Buy a Suunto is you're living in the US. Buy Silva if you live outside the U.S...or whatever other brand which takes your fancy. :)

Reason being, the Silva's which are sold in the U.S aren't genuine and are made in China. You might get lucky though and find a dealer which sells the real deal.

IanF.

Lil-Rokslider
0327178fe862f05eadc2f1bba9d7e2ff_zps49014817.jpg

If it has declination adjustment it's usually a decent compass btw...

most of the land surveyors i know(including myself) use Bruntons. both brands mentioned above are solid choices also.

Although I have never been lost (really good at reading maps), I have always felt I could learn more about compass navigating. Do you guys use the cheek method, center mass, etc? What do Surveyors use? thanks

mauidiver

WKR
In in this one. Always wanted to learn how to read these things. I dont always trust electronic devises yet and cant afford them. So ill see what yall say

IanF.

Lil-Rokslider
I used to teach map & compass... You tube may or may not have existed....

I'm sure there are plenty of good videos.

Looks for:
Compasses and instruction with mirrors
Arms length
Long sight plane
Declination and why care about it
Map North, grid north true North
Topographic correction
Pacing factor
Route planning
Utm coordinates

The canadian government used to have some fantastic online resources.

Very best,

Ian

For those that use a compass regularly ... Is a sighting mirror all that necessary / useful?

Ian summed it up pretty well with the precision comment. That precision is beneficial if you are trying to run a transect or follow a specific course. It can also improve results when triangulating your position with precise detail. For general navigation and location purposes it is not necessary, particularly if you use topography as guide or catch features.