Thoughts on Wyoming region E

Hey everyone, I'm looking for a some opinions on region E which include units 88, 92, 94, 96-98, 128, 148, 160 and 171. My brother in law, his dad and myself are looking at hunting Wyoming this year. We don't have any points and it looks like we can draw region E with no points. It looks like there is plenty of public land and quite a bit of walk in areas here. Do you guys think that if we do end up getting this tag that a 130-140 inch buck is doable? Also do you think it would be better to focus on the walk in areas or the blm land? Do you think we should be looking at other regions we can draw with no points? Thanks in advance.

Garrett

I don't know a lot about that area, but have hunted a little in 128 and 148. With some snow it can be a good hunt. In 128 two years ago after a fairly early snow storm I was working on a ranch for a week or so and hunted after work a few days. Literally saw 100's of deer and killed 3 elk in 2 days. This was all on blm and national forest.
There are a few good bucks but you would have to look over a ton of deer to find a good 4 point. Some good whitetails in there too.
148 has a bunch of grizz

Also any of those Oct hunts I would plan on hunting late. I think if you hunt hard for a week you could kill a couple decent bucks.
Bring atvs too. lots of roads

OP
ReddingArcher
Thanks for the reply, I would like to try and hunt it as late as possible.

OP
ReddingArcher
Thanks for the help Muledeerfanatic! I will definitely pm you if we do end up drawing the tag.

wyosteve

WKR
I've hunted 148 for many years. Not so much for deer as for elk and moose. As mentioned, lots of griz in there these days and not many deer. I'd stick to one of the other Region E areas.

OP
ReddingArcher
Thank you for the info wyosteve, although I think it would be cool to see a griz I don't really want to compete with them for hunting ground. I have been doing a ton of research on all of Region E so any and all help is definitely appreciated.

I hunted 94 last year. Watching the sun rise on opening morning it revealed no less than 6 orange vest in plain sight. I still got my buck but it was a ZOO. 130"-140" seems a stretch in my opinion. Not saying there aren't nice bucks out there, but they are smart and know where to duck away from hunters. The BLM needs to do something about the ATV abuse out there also, it was crazy. Look at the map. That region sits between the 2nd largest city (Casper) and the 5th largest (Riverton) in the state. Yep it sees lots of general tag resident hunters.

OP
ReddingArcher
Unfortunately we had to put a hold on the trip for the year, the other guys ended up not being able to get the time off and I couldn't find any other buddies to commit. Thanks for the information though guys.

I hunted 94 last year. Watching the sun rise on opening morning it revealed no less than 6 orange vest in plain sight. I still got my buck but it was a ZOO. 130"-140" seems a stretch in my opinion. Not saying there aren't nice bucks out there, but they are smart and know where to duck away from hunters. The BLM needs to do something about the ATV abuse out there also, it was crazy. Look at the map. That region sits between the 2nd largest city (Casper) and the 5th largest (Riverton) in the state. Yep it sees lots of general tag resident hunters.
I was curious about that too, but according to the Wyoming hunt planner there doesn't appear to be that much hunting pressure overall in this area. Did you camp and could you get away from the other hunters by getting off the beaten path?

What part of 94 did you hunt?

Pm me if you can.

Kris.

lif

WKR
Resurrecting old threads is a very popular and effective way of getting some info on certain subjects. Hope you got some decent info!! Good luck.