Killing, butchering, & reverance. An interesting perspectice

good2eat

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting article and I agree to a large extent the way I feel personally.

For me there is joy in the hunt but not in the killing. The killing is a necessary act, not one taken lightly. But once complete I find it interesting that for me the whole experience then changes into a bit of a science experiment. Not in the psychopath kind of way but rather I marvel at how everything in the animal works together in life. It amazes me how incredibly orderly the requirements for life are. As I'm breaking down the animal my thoughts turn to how much I prefer to experience and earn the right to harvest and feed my family and friends with this bounty and take pride in the fact that I didn't require someone else to do the dirty work.

And then we frickin' eat!

Last edited:

metal3006

FNG
Good article thanks for sharing!
I raise my own animals for butcher as well as hunting. I choose not to be dependant on the grocery store and i know the quality of the meat in my freezer. I dont enjoy the killing but it doesnt keep me up at night either. Its neccesary for the way i choose to live and eat. I know the animals i raise lived and died better than any market animal. I feel the same for the animals i hunt. I know its life ended cleaner than any death it would have suffured naturally.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for posting a very good read....back in my younger days butchering was not my cup of tea and I almost upchucked a few times. Now being olderr and having done it a time or two it is just part of the process. After each elk harvest I say a quick prayer and bury the heart. Once that is done it is time to get to work and getrdun and enjoy some fine table fare. Killing and butchering is just part of the process of being a hunter.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I grew up on a farm. I also worship the "Creator" and not the "created". Butchering days were no different than harvest days.....putting provisions in storage for future consumption. My dad actually used to sit on a 5 gal bucket and talk to the pigs while rubbing behind their ears. But come butchering day, it was butchering day. That's just the way it is. I absolutely thank God for his goodness and provision, but I've never shed a tear over the butchering of an animal. I kill them and I eat them. Then I repeat that process. Personally, I find that article a little odd.

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
Great article. Being the one to provide your own food including the meat that is provided at the table is something that shouldn't be taken lightly. I believe, like a lot of others here, that there has become a large disconnect in the world on this topic. A lot of people truly believe their food comes from a grocery store and that's it.
Some of the comments on the article got me fired up a little bit, but hey everyone is entitled to their own opinion and way to live their lives. Thanks for sharing.

Trr15

WKR
Interesting read...a little melodramatic IMO. I'm thankful for the opportunity to pursue game and harvest an animal in fair chase, hopefully with a quick, clean kill, and I take great pride in feeding my family with the meat that I put on the table. I dont want to see an animal suffer any more than next guy, but I certainly dont lose any sleep over the harvesting and butchering process. That is the end result (hopefully) of all the work I put in throughout the year leading up to the season. I came to terms with that many years ago.

Decent article. I grew up on a small farm. We raised animals for food and killed and butchered some of them ourselves. It was hard sometimes especially as a little kid, but you grow to understand the circle of life and that someday my body will feed the worms that make the grass etc.
Just one thing. Don't read the comments!!! Those people are so disconnected from reality that it is scary!

jtw

WKR
The weird thing is the writer doesnt actually kill their animals. If they did their perspective would be different. I grew up on a farm and butchering wasnt a big deal. But I saw it from before I could walk. I think a lot of people are becoming farmers for the first time and having to go through some introspection about the process. Its not something I have experienced but I understand where theyre coming from.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good read and interesting perspective. I certainly agree with the reverence expressed and to some degree it carries over to hunting with me. The hunt is what I enjoy, the kill is just a necessity.

VernAK

WKR
Having hunted for over 60 years I find that my perspective may differ from younger generations with different backgrounds and less experience. I have to turn away when young hunters high-five and dance like those under the goal post and all the hooting/hollering really goes against my grain but I write it off as youthful exuberance and wonder if they will have the same opportunities that I've had.

I don't see the moose/sheep/bear as an adversary but as great gift from Mother Nature that deserves respect. Please....no bloody photos or tongues hanging out!