Only one rifle.

AXEL

WKR
If the OP said moose to sheep and on down to 100# deer, in bear country, would any of you change your mind?

This essentially includes all of the many legal game species available here in BC and the toughest seem to be, by agreement among experienced hunters, the 6 pt.Elk in rutting season, which is when we hunt them and usually only 6 on one side are legal and the RM Goat.

Moose are pretty "soft" by comparison and those I have seen killed, have never shot one, don't really interest me, died pretty quickly, even from a 130-.270Win. to the lungs.

Soooo, NO change, my 50 year favourite, especially when solo as I often was/am by choice, is the .338WM with premium 225-250 bullets, CRF, good irons, QD mounts, twin small scopes and synthetic handle. I cannot envision a more practical, functional rifle for BC and when working alone or running crews in Grizzly country, this is it, for me.

Most of the really experienced guys here whom I have known over five decades use something like this, or, if recoil sensitive, a similar .30-06.

Last edited:

Terrapin

WKR
I have never been without a 30-06 with a low power variable scope. Granted I have a pretty big stable of bolt guns, but there is something eminently practical about an '06 with a 3-9. My personal all around rifle is a synthetic stocked ruger, stainless steel, with a 3-9 Nikon on it... just about the exact opposite of what I would recommend for a bolt gun for any sort of precision application. It even has the fugly skeleton stock. I don't mind if it gets wet, it's light, it will shoot acceptable groups for the application, the poi never changes, and I buy a box of shells every year... even though I have dies and powder and bullets for it. Nothing special, just gets the job done.

TwoTikkas

WKR
"Nothing special, just gets the job done."

"Special", maybe maybe not. If Practical is the definition of special then absolutely. I don't believe a rifle has to be expensive or trendy to be special. Those boat paddle Rugers are about as practical as it gets. If they fit you,are adequately accurate for the application,durable and low maintenance. Then it's special in my book.

Likewise for the 30/06. I too have never been without one around the house. Currently there are 2 of them in the stable. A 721 Remington and a T3 Tikka. Some would say neither of them are anything special. Until you have to find something that shoots any better,(both 1/2 MOA rifles)or is any more practical. Bullets from 150gr through 200gr. Nearly the same POI between the lot. Not required to use monolithic bullets to get the job done. I call them cup and core compatible. My personal effective hunting distance is 400 yds or a little better. With some sort of decent rest. I have rifles capable of longer shots,but that's my imposed limit. The old Otter6 is just fine for the job. I do like the idea of buying a box of ammo every year. Nuttin wrong with lining the coffers with a little factory fodder. Good idea.

lots of interest in the 280 AI but seldom if ever have heard of blowing out the 30-06 to AI . seems like it would be a good fit approaching 300wm performance would think????

RCR

Lil-Rokslider
I've been blessed to hunt everything from prairie dogs to Cape buffalo. I have center fire from .222 to .375. That said, if I had to choose one rifle it would be an '06. You can kill anything that walks with it if you use the right bullet. You can pick reduced recoil loads or superperformance ammo, premium or non-premium bullets. I've killed moose with both an '06 with 165 and 180 gr, and a 338 with 250 gr. more immediate results with the 338, but they all died just the same. Had a 300 WM and just didn't enjoy the recoil so I re barreled it to .270Wby. It is now my go to gun for most everything. Little recoil and shoots like a laser. Much easier and enjoyable to shoot than the 300. That iWould be important to me, especially if I didn't shoot a lot.

You didn't talk about what rifle you are looking at, but you can solve the caliber debate by purchasing a rifle with switch barrel capability.

jtw

WKR
My dad hunted wi th a 30-06 ai for years. Very accurate. Shoots straighter than an 06. I personally have never killed with anything but an 06. Ive owned other calibers but when hunting season comes around I always keep reaching for the -06.

My dad hunted wi th a 30-06 ai for years. Very accurate. Shoots straighter than an 06. I personally have never killed with anything but an 06. Ive owned other calibers but when hunting season comes around I always keep reaching for the -06.

Am I missing something?

TylerW

FNG
I originally said I'd get a m70 7mm mag but I was at cabelas to night and now have to jump on the tikka bandwagon. I picked up three tikka's, one super lite, and two blued lite's all three were nice, smooth bolts, felt good in the hand. The two blued lite's were in the used rack and had scopes on them so I got a good idea of what the end weight would be. I could very easily see one in my future .

SDC

Lil-Rokslider
I went through this almost ten years ago when my wife gave the "green light" for me to build a rifle as her wedding gift to me (yeah, I hit the lotto with her).

The hours spent contemplating what rifle, what action, what caliber, what cartridge; over and over and over.

In the end, I went with one that just plain works: Remington 700 stainless, in a synthetic stock (I chose Bansner, though had I not stumbled on a great deal on one it could have just as easily been McMillan), chambered in .30-06. I can comfortably shoot this rifle at extended range sessions to get used to it, it packs well, and it has the proven track record on everything in North America (and almost everything in the world). Yes, it's a bit heavy for some critters and maybe a bit light for others. It doesn't have the flat trajectory of some rounds, nor the energy of others, but it covers almost all bases very well.

My only problem with it? Having it in house makes justifying another rifle very difficult. Though, that frees up funds for other gear and more hunting trips, and I never have to think about what rifle is getting the call.

16Bore

WKR
About as one and done as it gets, but I do like a 260, so 2 and done....
7RM

GKPrice

Banned
I've done a little bit of load work for an '06 AI, as with most all AI's, a pleasure to do business with but I'd not expect 300 mag performance - an AI conversion gives back more than just FPS though, lessened case growth and bolt thrust is a biggie - My Canadian Uncle (BC coast) has an 03-A3 AI that he got from an old British friend, 22" barrel and a nice stock, very nice to carry and hunt and shoots quite well too, I believe PO did the rechamber himself - I'd do one in a minute ....

For where YOU live (not where I live), & the animals you will encounter, my choice would be the 300 Win mag. Adequate for all you mention, & if you are really worried about bears you can always go with Double Tap Ammo's 240gr load with Woodleigh bullets.
It just does it all.

"Nothing special, just gets the job done."

"Special", maybe maybe not. If Practical is the definition of special then absolutely. I don't believe a rifle has to be expensive or trendy to be special. Those boat paddle Rugers are about as practical as it gets. If they fit you,are adequately accurate for the application,durable and low maintenance. Then it's special in my book.

I had a blue version of that Ruger in 35 Whelen that I traded for something (Don't even remember what). Of all the guns I have parted with that's the one I want back the most. That is THE do it all Alaska gun in my book.