Tibets or Rangers

Ben

WKR
I'm shopping for a new boot a could use some help. So far I've the new solamons 4d which were tight in the heal and lowa ticam which was too narrow and doesn't come in a wide. I really wanted the ticam to work because I researched them a lot and thought the climate control feature would make them versatile. In the past I've had merrels and Irish setters, both of whiched works but I was never completely happy with.

Now I am looking at the Tibets and Rangers. However, I'm having difficulty seeing the difference between the two others than the height and weight.

I'm looking for a boot that I would use mainly for summer backpacking and early season backcountry hunts. I need a lot of support, a rand, and for them to be waterproof. I do wear a wide so my boot options are limited.

As far as terrain goes, I just moved to CA and plan on hunting the sierras. Hopefully moving to AZ or NV next year.

Anyways, would you recommend the Tibets or Rangers? Or another boot that I've yet to try?

Thanks in advance!

gelton

WKR
I have the lowa renegades nice but not enough support and lowa hunters which are excellent but insulated so I am considering the Tibet or schnees bear tooth. I am in the same boat as you and need a wide which narrows it down to schnees, hanwag, or lowa for me. From my research the bear tooth is not as stiff as the Tibet but it is an inch taller. Hard to find any negative reviews on the bear tooth where tibets have a lot of people reporting leaking.

OP
B

Ben

WKR
Thank you for the responses! The leaking Tibet reviews does make me stray. There some of those for the Rangers as well.

I did look for the tech lite video but couldn't find it.

As of now I'm leaning towards the Rangers.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I use the Lowa Ranger in Wide for my winter work boot. (res. construction) They are very comfy but not overly supportive compared to my other boots. I would buy them again for what I am using them for but for hiking anything demanding I would go tibet.
Having a wide fore foot limits may of us, I am happy there are a couple great boot makers that acknowledge us.

I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Lowa Tibets. Hope they fit. I have tried on the regulars and they were a bit narrow so I'm hoping wide will be perfect. I tried buying through REI since they are having a big sale right now but they don't have them so I ordered them on amazon (10% off), which I found out through this forum gives you free returns in case they do not fit. REI did say they will be carrying them in September - FYI. Pretty tough to beat REI's return policies, but it sounds like Lowa stands behind their boot (also learned from this forum). I have been debating buying this boot for years and finally wore out my old boot so it is time and now I can hopefully just break them in by September. I have a REALLY hard time getting boots to fit right. Wde, flat footed; my right foot is like 11 3/4

fastphin

FNG
How did the Tibets fit compared to the others you tried? I have tried Renegades in the store but they didnt feel stiff enough on the shank or ankle for me. I felt the Salomon 4d's (in store) were better in stiffness than renegades but I have not been able to try Ranger or Tibet's.

Last edited:

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I had soles delaminate on Lowa's and they said "tough sh%$". Definitely a second tier boot. Look at Salewa or Zamberlan. Amazing boots.

OP
B

Ben

WKR
I ended up going with Rangers. I've put some miles on them, but not nearly enough for a full review. Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase. I am planning on replacing the insert in the near future with something g that's a bit softer and offers more support.

gmajor

WKR
I ended up going with Rangers. I've put some miles on them, but not nearly enough for a full review. Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase. I am planning on replacing the insert in the near future with something g that's a bit softer and offers more support.

I've put mine through hell over the past year. I've been very impressed with the rangers, and have no plans to switch whenever they give out (hopefully no time soon, I take care of them and they're doing just fine).

bhylton

WKR
90% of the wildland firefighers i work with wear the tibet. carrying heavy packs in 100+ degree heat for 16hrs/ day for 14 days and they are great. many people get 2 years out of them. rubber rand keeps the leather from getting tore up when you snag your toe on a stick or drag your toe on a rock. I wear the Tibet Highs because i like the extra ankle support. As far as leaking goes... I have never had a pair, nor known anyone with a pair of gortex lined boots that stayed waterproof for more than 1 year of honest hard use. the repetitive bending near the toe will wear out the gortex membrane on any boot... IMO anyways. I have also heard good things about the ranger, but more from folks who use them for recreational trail hiking on the weekends type use. But ive seen more people saying good things about the rangers on here lately.