Newbie Questions

oxberger

FNG
Never been out west, but I have put Mule Deer on the top of the list. I am looking at South Dakota, Wyoming and Colorado for states to hunt.

I am leaning toward South Dakota because it seems easy to get a tag, the terrain is not as daunting and cheaper.

I am not a "trophy" hunter, just want an opportunity to hunt. I should also say I will be bow hunting.

I am working on my physical conditioning, map work, extending my archery range and upgrading gear.

I'm going to stick to public land, just something about doing it DIY. I am looking at it as a learning experience and adventure. Once I gain some knowledge then I will expand my expectations.

What were some of the lessons you learned from your first few times? What are some general things I should be thinking about and working on?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Read Robby blog on killing big deer. Archery typically means earlier is better. Catching them above tree line and planning a stalk is my preferred method

My first mule deer hunts were in the plains of Alberta and ND. It is a lot of fun and you can see a lot of animals. Some of the things I learned:
If you find a bedded deer watch him for a while and try to find the other deer with him. I remember seeing my first buck and being in a hurry to get to him. I spooked so many other deer that I never thought to look for.

Wait for the wind to find its momentum. Usually mid morning before I tried any stalks. Also wait for the deer to get comfy. They will get up and move so I would wait until I felt they were relaxed.

If your on a stalk and the deer gets up before you get there just stay calm and watch him. He wont go far and he will bed back down.

Get to your comfortable range and stay there. Dont try to get too close if you dont need to.

When you are closing the distance and you think you are moving slow enough slow down a little bit more.

Pick a good point of reference because once you get over there it will all look different.

A few things that may help you. However, there is no help for the addiction of spot and stalk hunting. Good luck and have fun.

Reactions: ecw

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
Muleyfever made some great points, especially looking for the other deer. I cannot describe the feeling you will have as you are belly crawling to the buck you want and out of nowhere you kick up a few forkies. I've been fortunate that they have not scared the buck I wanted away on one occasion, but usually they all get out of the country.
Moving slower than you think is also a great point. Finding the perfect pace is a constant learning curve and realizing when to slow down to basically not moving yet understanding when you need to cover ground and cover it fast is something you will learn. I always stop every so often and scan from my position looking for tines or anything I can. Remember when you are getting into bow range and accidently get to close and see his eyes he has probably already seen you for a while. Sometimes they are curious and will stay there for a few seconds looking and even after they bust out they tend to go a little ways and look back giving a nice broadside shot if it is still within range so be ready. Welcome to an addiction that will kick your butt over and over again, but will make you feel so alive!

LJ Buck

WKR
Start putting in for points for the other states u might want to hunt in the future.

Bar

Banned
Moving slow is most important. Most hunters who think they're moving slow are going way too fast. You take one step, and scan everywhere slowly. No fast moves. Look with just your eyes if possible. Then take one slow quiet step, and look again. Every step you take gives you a new angle on the terrain. You're not looking for a whole deer, but just a little piece of one. Your success depends on seeing the deer, before it sees you. Always always always put the wind in your favor. Don't ever depend on scent control.

Mule deer are not like whitetails. A whitetail with bolt the minute it sees you. A mule deer will stay hunkered down, and let you walk right past them. They have nerves of steel. I wouldn't depend on a mature buck stopping to look back. Maybe the younger bucks, but the mature bucks know better than to do that. That's how they got mature.

Good luck.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Moving slow is most important. Most hunters who think they're moving slow are going way too fast. You take one step, and scan everywhere slowly. No fast moves. Look with just your eyes if possible. Then take one slow quiet step, and look again. Every step you take gives you a new angle on the terrain. You're not looking for a whole deer, but just a little piece of one. Your success depends on seeing the deer, before it sees you. Always always always put the wind in your favor. Don't ever depend on scent control.

Mule deer are not like whitetails. A whitetail with bolt the minute it sees you. A mule deer will stay hunkered down, and let you walk right past them. They have nerves of steel. I wouldn't depend on a mature buck stopping to look back. Maybe the younger bucks, but the mature bucks know better than to do that. That's how they got mature.

Good luck.

Bar, Good to hear your thoughts. I sense that years of experience and wisdom went into that. Thanks for sharing. If I remember right, you hunt with a muzzleloader or short range rifle. What is the average yardage you've taken your biggest mule deer bucks at?

Bar

Banned
Longest was 75yds, but most of them are within bow range. Same with elk.

I find a mature buck a harder hunt than elk. Very rewarding to get close to one.