Outdoorsman Tripod

I have been really looking at these hard this weekend and are they really worth dropping all that money on ? Im really wanting to get a top of the line tripod now for digiscoping and hunting.

shaun

WKR
Yes they are great tripods there's other great options out also I just picked up a Gitzo Traveler for a screaming deal on eBay

PA 5-0

WKR
I know this is strong wording but I wouldn't take one if you gave it to me. My guide carried one on my sheep hunt this past Aug(not the pistol grip model). Just a pain in the ass to use. I simply could not find a tension spot where the set levers could be snugged enough to still allow moving the spotter around. In other words, for every movement, I had to loosen the levers, move the spotter around and then lock it on an animal. And when trying to lock it in on an animal at long distances, the spotter would always shift, forcing a readjustment. I'll take my Vanguard ph-111v all day long at probably a third the price. That Outdoorsman set up was real heavy too.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
PA 5-0, that has nothing to do with the tripod. All your complaints were about the Outdoorsman Pan Head. The tripod itself is as good as they come. The Pan Head you used can be a real pain to use. I had one but went back to the pistol grip for ease of use.

MattB

WKR
The Outdoorsman tripods are quality - a little heavy but stable. A couple of my friends who have used them have taken to carrying an allen wrench to keep the leg locks tensioned properly, not sure if the current design still has issues with the hardware loosening up. They lost a couple of the rubber feet as well, but the tripod still works just fine.

PA 5-0

WKR
PA 5-0, that has nothing to do with the tripod. All your complaints were about the Outdoorsman Pan Head. The tripod itself is as good as they come. The Pan Head you used can be a real pain to use. I had one but went back to the pistol grip for ease of use.

My bad. I didn't read the OPs post close enough. thx

bobhunts

WKR
I had the same problem with a Schonfeld Carbon tripod. Maybe it was the Pan head? Every time I would make an adjustment and tighten it up I was off target looking through the spotter. Any Ideas?