Camp Month: MSR Reactor Stove Review, Black Ovis Giveaway & discounts! #campmonth

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
As part of camp month I wrote a review on the MSR Reactor Stove System with the 1.7L Pot. I first heard about the Reactor here on Rokslide, and after a year of using one I have come to depend on it as a reliable back country tool.

You can read the review here:
http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/essentials/335-msr-reactor-stove

attachment.php

As part of Camp Month #campmonth Black Ovis is partnering with Rokslide to provide two lucky winners a MSR Reactor of their very own, entry to win is done by entering a valid email address at this link on Black Ovis’s website: http://www.blackovis.com/community/contests/msr-reactor-rokslide-giveaway/

In addition to winning a stove, 10 lucky entrants WILL BE DRAWN FROM THE EMAILS ENTERED AT THE LINK ABOVE and will win a 30% off code from Black Ovis toward the purchase a MSR Reactor and/or Reactor Coffee Press.

Even better is that everyone who enters will receive a special surprise offer from Black Ovis at the end of camp month. Thank you Black Ovis!

MSR Reactor& MSR Coffee Press Informational Links are below (these are for information only, you entered for the drawings at the link above)

http://www.blackovis.com/msr-reactor-coffee-press-kits
Please note the Coffee Press only works in the 1L & 1.7L Reactor Pots.

http://www.blackovis.com/msr-reactor-stove-system
The Reactor is available with 1L, 1.7L, and 2.5L Pots

Last edited by a moderator:

cordini

FNG
When I filled out the information, there was no place to hit Enter to complete the registration.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
cordini
you enter for the stove at the second link in the post, just under the picture. I just tried it and it worked fine. I think there was a big red "submit" button after I entered my name/email. try another browser if it's not working.

ktowncamo

WKR
Just found this on another website. Funny comparison of the Reactor and Jetboil.
[video]https://youtu.be/HwMrxbViuVY[/video]

slick

WKR
I don't think it's accessible on a mobile device. Not mine anyways.

Not complaining just giving people a heads up.

ktowncamo

WKR
airlocksniffer - I just got my hands on the Windboiler to test so I'll be sampling that guy this weekend and will post up my thoughts. I'm not super familiar with the Reactor in the field, but I hope my input will be helpful.

airlocksniffer - I just got my hands on the Windboiler to test so I'll be sampling that guy this weekend and will post up my thoughts. I'm not super familiar with the Reactor in the field, but I hope my input will be helpful.
Nice, looking forward to it. Not having used either, my first instinct is to get a Windboiler based on price alone. I did find this shootout on Outdoor Gear Lab:

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacking-Stove-Reviews?n=0&sort_field=#compare

Both stoves were at the top of the heap with the Windboiler barely beating the Reactor.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really like the lid / pot design on the Reactor. Its simple and easy to operate. A 1.7L pot is sized perfectly for my use. I think the Windboiler looks good for what it is, but the features of the Reactor are what drove me to it.

Camp Month: MSR Reactor Stove Review, Black Ovis Giveaway & discounts! #campm...

It would be nice to see a comparison between the MSR Reactor and Windboiler. Both look like nice setups.

I could probably swing that although the reactor would be strictly off memory, I've only got 7 boils on it as we speak so I want to get some more time on it.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice looking stove! The drawback to me on the Windboiler is the size. I really like the 1.7L Pot of the reactor. However, from talking with those who have used the Windboiler, its a fantastic stove. I look forward to hearing your take on it.

Nice looking stove! The drawback to me on the Windboiler is the size. I really like the 1.7L Pot of the reactor. However, from talking with those who have used the Windboiler, its a fantastic stove. I look forward to hearing your take on it.

I have heard ( so take that for less then the 2 cents that's it's worth) that the windboiler will gain the same pot sizes as the reactor if it sells well.

The only thing I did not like about the reactor is if you trip the heat shut off safety thing you were SOL. My buddy tried to make smores one night and turned his into a big paper weight for the next 4 days.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have heard ( so take that for less then the 2 cents that's it's worth) that the windboiler will gain the same pot sizes as the reactor if it sells well.

The only thing I did not like about the reactor is if you trip the heat shut off safety thing you were SOL. My buddy tried to make smores one night and turned his into a big paper weight for the next 4 days.
Interesting.. I'm not sure I would have tried that, but good to file away on the shut off. :)

I think that stoves, like most gear, is really an individual thing based on how, and what, you use them for. As strictly a water boiler, I really like the Reactor. Performance wise its top notch. Feature wise, it really works for me. Totally get it if folks prefer a different set of features. I got a Jetboil Sumo Ti I'll make someone a deal on! :)

Ranger04

FNG
I've been using an MSR Whisperlite International for 20 years and I've debating trying a canister system. Thanks for the review.

Madnik

Lil-Rokslider
It looks as if I could use one of these to round out my stove options. And who knows, maybe replace a few? Thanks for the review.

cordini

FNG
cordini
you enter for the stove at the second link in the post, just under the picture. I just tried it and it worked fine. I think there was a big red "submit" button after I entered my name/email. try another browser if it's not working.

I guess I missed the Entry period.....Just got a notification about it on my FB page though.

cordini

FNG
Dang....Even if I hadn't won one of the Reactor stoves, getting 30% off would have been a great deal! I've been looking at these stoves for a long time and almost pulled the trigger, but then I had to get a new set of threads for the CS34 and a new stabilizer. Hopefully I get another shot at 30% some time.....