Making your own pack?

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
I have started doing some sewing and have really enjoyed it. Has anyone sewed their own pack bag? And did you use another frame from a pack company? If so how did it go? I like the idea of sewing a pack with the features I want and that's it. Just a thought?

F16pointy

FNG
I have thought about it but I don't think my machine could do the same job as the professional stuff. So I worry there will be failures. But I do know people who have sewn their own bags. From what I have seen those that want an external frame find one they like then build their custom bag for it. Or you will have to build your own stays to do the internal frame thing. Good luck if you give it a shot!

I made my own bag for my duplex frame. Didn't turn out to bad. There are some things I would have designed different but maybe the next one. It's kind of a mix between a highcamp and timberline.

DaveC

WKR
I've made a bunch of packs, most recently to fit with the Paradox frame and hipbelt. It's nice to have exactly the features, fit, and materials you want. Photos and details of the latest one: http://bedrockandparadox.com/2014/12/12/the-big-pack/

You can make heavy use packs on a conventional machine, you'll just need to pay attention and not design too many places where many layers of webbing and stiff fabric come together all at once. The pack linked to has 4 layers of 1000d, 2 layers of X33, and a 3/4" webbing strap where the top of the frame attachment comes together. That's about the max my machine can handle without breaking needles.

You will not get it right the first time, and there always seems to be something to revise in the next version. It is not a way to save time or money in the end, but is fun and a great way to learn about pack design.

OP
machinethomas

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
DaveC that's a lot of material. I know my machine couldn't go through 4 layers of 1000D and webbing.. Is that over kill?

DaveC

WKR
DaveC that's a lot of material. I know my machine couldn't go through 4 layers of 1000D and webbing.. Is that over kill?

The sleeve which holds the top of the Paradox frame is crucial, so it's double layered 1000D for both tear strength and abrasion resistance. Folded over and sewn into the side seams you get six layers of fabric total, which was stitched, bartacked, felled, and bartacked again. No other point on the pack has more than 4 layers of fabric.

My machine is a Babylock, which is a nice machine, but not especially powerful.

kodiakfly

WKR
I didn't make it myself, but a good friend made one for my Barney's. It looks like a store-bought bag it's that good, and like you said, built to my specs. If you have the skills and the machine to do 500d or 1000d and webbing, by all means, go for it. It's very doable.

OP
machinethomas

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
I've looked at either the Eberlestock Mainframe pack, the SJK Rail Hauler, or possibly the LL Bean Carry all? What would you guys recommend? That's my price range.

I used the LL Bean Carryall for a while. I had some pockets I attached to it and then used stuff sacks to carry all my gear. It doesn't really have great load lifters if I remember correctly but was extremely comfortable for generally backpacking when it wasn't loaded up too heavy. I did pack out a boned out mule deer and most of camp with it one year and was actually surprised how comfortable it was. Not anywhere near the comfort of higher end packs with a heavy load but for the price I was really surprised. The frame isn't completely rigid but I think if anything that made it a lot more comfortable when you weren't carrying a bunch of weight. I don't have any other experience with the other packs though.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I made one and the thread was posted by ndbwhunter. It went well and was a lot of fun. I still use it. I just had an idea in my head and went with it. I would have designed a few things a little different but that's hard to do when you don't really have a plan. I used a regular old machine.

I made a Nomad style pack for my Kuiu Icon Pro frame. I didn't like the 1850 day pack that came with the bag so I made my own.