Hunting more than one species?

WoodsWalker270

Lil-Rokslider
I'm coming from the Midwest and was planning on hunting antelope and mulies this year in Wyoming. I have two points for each and after looking at my options and season dates, it looks like its harder to do than I thought. Has anyone hunted one species and than moved on to a neighboring unit to hunt the next? Should I just focus on one or the other and save my point for next year?

Art Vandeley

Lil-Rokslider
How long do you have to hunt? If you can hunt the end of a type 2 antelope tag, then you can go right into the mule deer hunt if they still open October 1st. Keep in mind type 2 tags are intended for private land so you would have to get landowner permission first.

MattB

WKR
Do you hunt with a gun or bow? Generally speaking, multi-species hunts have tended to be a better idea in theory than in practice for me as a bowhunter. If your standards are not that high, antelope can be a good species to wrap in because most guys won't hunt for more than a few days unless they are holding out for a really nice buck. The focus can then be shifted to deer. I would tends to think in terms of a unit where you could hunt both concurrently and be an opportunist.

OP
WoodsWalker270

WoodsWalker270

Lil-Rokslider
I would be hunting with a rifle on public lands 7-10 days. That would be drive time also. I like the idea of being able to hunt in one unit for both. From what others have told me, antelope with a rifle would not take more than a day or two. I am not looking for a trophy class animal in either species, just trying to get the most out of my trip. Should I look into a unit with my antelope points and buying a deer tag over the counter? Saving my deer points for a better unit in the future. Thank you for the help!

dihardhunter

Lil-Rokslider
It's also an important consideration of how many other hunters are in your party...probably achievable for you if you set a low bar for antelope, and then spend the remainder of your hunting time looking for a muley. If you've got 2 lopes to pick out, or 3, then 2 or 3 deer tags - ya, break the hunt up.

I'm taking 3 others out next fall for a combo hunt. Plan to be on the ground hunting for 9 days...all 4 of us will have antelope tags, but myself and another are passing on a deer tag. Just not realistic if quality is much a priority at all.

If "most out of your trip" means pulling the trigger multiple times and heading back East with heavy coolers, consider getting a buck antelope tag and holding out for a mid 70s buck while stacking up a few doe antelope along the way.

all depends on what areas you would like to hunt and how much time you plan to hunt. We went two years ago hunted lopes in gillette then deer in F only one week. was fairly successfull three buck antelope three doe antelope and one small buck muley in a weeks time. with three hunters. Last year three huntere got same results in lopes and two mulies but spent two weeks three days in gillette for lopes and rest of time in ten sleep unit M for mulies. definately need to watch the openings and closings and will be hunting tail end of lope season good thing is not much pressure that late in the lope season. feel free to PM me I will help with what I know. mainly what weve done wrong as I am pretty new to hunting out west.

Jimss

WKR
My biggest consideration with trying to schedule 2 hunts is how picky do you want to be? If you are being super picky it may take the entire season to get 1 whopper species. If you aren't picky you should be able to get an antelope buck within the first hour of opening day! If it were me and I was burning many pref pts I would do separate years so you can take advantage of each tag....it will also extend your experience to a couple years rather than being 1 and done. Even if you draw the same species in the same unit it just complicates things trying to hunt both at the same time. You can scout out the area for the 2nd species on another trip. You will have a lot better chance of getting trophy bucks of both species hunting 2 separate years.

aeasley10

WKR
There is no question if you aren't too picky, an antelope in Wyoming with a rifle is a pretty easy 1-2 day hunt. I'm a midwestern deer hunter and like venison a lot, but antelope is fantastic if prepared well, so buy a cheap doe tag....u won't regret it if there is any grain feed around!

gknutson

FNG
I've done both. Sometimes it's less pressure and stress to focus on one species. I suppose if you had been in the area before and had a idea of the number and location of the animals it would be easier. Another thing is using all you're points in one trip. You might consider hunting 1 species and then scout for the other after you tag out. Then draw you're tag and go again next year. Just my 2 cents. Good luck how ever you decide to go.