Backpack stove for cooking, not just boiling water...

I have a jetboil that I will be using for water only.

Looking for a stove that will fry an egg or two, maybe fry up some ham or bacon, then maybe even toast some bread for some toast or grilled cheese.

I want to carry this with the jetboil when my wife comes with me to give her some fresh food versus MH meals for 3 days straight.

Looking for something that will work on the same gas canisters as the jetboil, regulates heat well to go from frying meat to toasting bread, and hopefully under $100. I am not concerned whatsoever with boiling water speeds.

My research is pointing me to a soto stove, but would love to hear thoughts and opinion from those of you that use a stove like I am looking to use it.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Id check out the Primus ETA setup. Not sure they sell the same setup I have anymore but the Primus stoves use the same bottle and they are easy to regulate the temps alot better then the jetboils and the Reactors. I have the kind that has the pot and lid and the lid doubles as a pan when you flip it over with a handle. Its not big but great for cooking 2 eggs over medium and some cut in half bacon. Wife and I use it alot for car camping but also I take it backpacking too as its all in 1 setup that packs into itself.

I actually took a few minutes and did some digging. Here is the setup I have and it works well at straight cooking. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRIMUS-ETA-...786?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d2bfe0dea

All of it packs into the pot including the small gas cylinder and goes into a stuff sack. pretty slick little setup.

The stove has a variable gas temp control on it so you can simmer or turn it up and blast it. Also if you find the right pan, along with the MSR Pocket Rocket it can do the same.

colonel00

WKR
Doesn't the Jetboil have some sort of pot stand attachment where you can use the same burner and just set a pan over it to do actual cooking? To me that would be the simplest answer.

pst075-jetboil-pot-support-and-stabilizer.jpg

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
I have a snow peak giga power that has a nice adjustable flame and light weight. I think I would maybe leave the jet boil at home and just use one stove that can simmer. Either the giga, soto, or a liquid fuel like a dragonfly

kickemall

WKR
Jetboil MiniMo should work. Watched a friend fry some trout on it and it regulated well.

OP
B
I use a MSR Pocket Rocket

I love the price point, the size, and the weight of the of the pocket rocket. I know you use it, but have you don't things like fry an egg, toast up some grilled sandwiches, and things like that? What pan do you use with it?

OP
B
I have a snow peak giga power that has a nice adjustable flame and light weight. I think I would maybe leave the jet boil at home and just use one stove that can simmer. Either the giga, soto, or a liquid fuel like a dragonfly

Thanks, I don't think I have looked at the snow peak. What pan/pots do you use? I need to add that and I know they can have a huge difference in heat regulation, etc.

If I found a good pot/pan set I might leave the jetboil at home as suggested, just haven't tested or tried anything just yet.

OP
B
Id check out the Primus ETA setup. Not sure they sell the same setup I have anymore but the Primus stoves use the same bottle and they are easy to regulate the temps alot better then the jetboils and the Reactors. I have the kind that has the pot and lid and the lid doubles as a pan when you flip it over with a handle. Its not big but great for cooking 2 eggs over medium and some cut in half bacon. Wife and I use it alot for car camping but also I take it backpacking too as its all in 1 setup that packs into itself.

I actually took a few minutes and did some digging. Here is the setup I have and it works well at straight cooking. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRIMUS-ETA-...786?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d2bfe0dea

All of it packs into the pot including the small gas cylinder and goes into a stuff sack. pretty slick little setup.

The stove has a variable gas temp control on it so you can simmer or turn it up and blast it. Also if you find the right pan, along with the MSR Pocket Rocket it can do the same.

What pan do you like with the pocket rocket? I like that Primus setup...I'll look into that more too, I love that it packs into itself like the jetboil does.

Personally I've found if you can remove the pot from the flame you can cook a hell of a lot better. My whisperlite does fine but in sure there are better ones out there.

As far as the mini mo goes there are 2 guys over on BPL (John abela, Hikin Jim)that have run ALOT of stoves and both said its the best actual cooking canister stove they have ever used but like any jetboil the wind kills it.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
What pan do you like with the pocket rocket? I like that Primus setup...I'll look into that more too, I love that it packs into itself like the jetboil does.

If you check out the eBay link I posted the lid on that pot flips over and can be used for a pan.

tlowell02

Lil-Rokslider
For a liquid fuel stove I am happy with my Optimus nova stove. I have used it to fry trout and veggies. For a canister fuel stove my Primus Yellowstone classic works well. It has a nice wide flame and good temperature control.

When I first started backpacking I used the Pocket Rocket and immediately gave it away. IMO it is only good for boiling water because the flame is focused on one small area. I find my food would be scorched black in the middle of the pan and still raw on the edges.

OP
B
Thanks everyone for the feedback, after all of the posts and reading the reviews, I found a killer deal on the Soto Windmaster at campsaver ($59 shipped) and also ordered the MSR quick skillet to test and try some cooking with. I may eventually splurge for a skillet/pot combo, but for now I will be using the skillet 100% of the time on the soto.

OP
B
Has anyone tried one of these? I know its not the most ultralight option, but for me, I would only be carrying two stoves (jetfoil for water only, another for cooking) when I backpack with my wife, so we can afford the little bit of extra weight. This would only be used to cook real food, so boiling water speed is not a priority.

http://www.rei.com/product/636832/primus-yellowstone-classic-trail-stove

Its 8oz, which is about 2x most UL stoves, but the flame dispersion looks to be much better for an 8" skillet.

I may get one and test it against the soto to see which one I prefer. Reviews look good, but let me know if any of you have any real world experience.