Hoodies

I have never shopped hoodies so I don't know who offers them. Any other companies making a hoodie similar to the KUIU Peloton? By similar I mean a synthetic with wind resistance and odor control.

Trial153

WKR
I have the Sitka Traverse hoody...it's not bad but I thinking could breath a bit better.
I find myself in my first lite chama hoody a lot.

I most likely with be trying the KUIU hoody...if they ever get back to me a straighten out my coupon code issue.

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure on any hoodies that have odor control in them like the KUIU, but I have had the Sitka traverse for about three seasons and love it. With that said it can get a smell to it if you where it against your skin for an extended trip (i.e., about a week). That's why I picked up the first lite chama hoody as well. I have been a sweatshirt/hoody guy for a long time and absolutely love being able to flip it over my head to cut wind or position it to block the sun as I am looking through the spotter.

bhylton

WKR
dotman, does the fabric in that wild things hoodie feel/perform similar to kuius' primaflex? fabric

Just stared buying hi tech clothing and gear the last couple of years Kuiu / Kryptek etc. Love every piece of it. That being said, I got a fleece hoodie from Cabelas with the old style wind liner for like 50 bucks in the bargain cave. Had it fir eight years and eventhough its a little heavier than my high end softshells, it stops the wind dead and keeps me toasty over a puffy. I know some of you guys will laugh at this, but i cant seem to leave it at home, no matter how many times i try to replace it with something !

jlmoeller

FNG
I was in Bass Pro today and they had a Redhead hoodie that was windproof on sale for $25.00

Husky390,
I bought one of these last fall and I love it. It does not breath well. I am considering sewing in a front zipper and pit zips to dump heat when on the move. The hood blocks the wind well, even while running the snow blower during a blizzard.

Jason Moeller

bbrown

WKR
I also have the Wild Things Gear wind pro hoodie and it is perfect (and I even hate full zip hoodies). No experiance with the Kuiu but I would say its similar in weight if not a bit thicker than the Sitka traverse (which is also a great mid layer) but does a much better job cutting the wind.

dotman

WKR
No experience with the Kuiu but it is a tad thicker then the kryptek cerdic and FL halstead fleece. It is a very well built item. The outside almost feels like a softtshell but softer if that makes sense.

mauidiver

WKR
First Light Chama hoodie is a really nice piece. Not synthetic, but an overall killer piece. Super soft merino wool. What is the difference between having Synthetic and merino and why do you like or want synthetic? Just learning the benefits of both. I have the KUIU 210 Zip-T and love this as well. Just got the updated KUIU catalog with my Tiburon pants today. The new Peloton looks really nice.

jbra

FNG
Arcteryx leaf naga hoodie is very nice. The hood really hugs your head when you turn. It's not exactly wind proof but it's a very nice layer option to have.

dotman

WKR
First Light Chama hoodie is a really nice piece. Not synthetic, but an overall killer piece. Super soft merino wool. What is the difference between having Synthetic and merino and why do you like or want synthetic? Just learning the benefits of both. I have the KUIU 210 Zip-T and love this as well. Just got the updated KUIU catalog with my Tiburon pants today. The new Peloton looks really nice.

The chama or any merino item has zero wind protection. The synthetic materials like Wildthings use can have a high resistance to wind which is great when not wearing another outter layer. When it is nice out this isn't as big of an issue.

I feel that I get more versatility from having my wind blocking layer separate from my fleece layer. I don't want moisture trapped in or under my fleece under high exertion. Why buy a fast wicking highly breathable fabric permanently bonded to a membrane?

My favorite hoodies are the Patagonia Cap 4 for mild weather and the R1 for colder weather. Also like the Sitka Traverse a lot.

Last edited:

husky390

WKR
Another possibility is to pick up a Wild Things windproof shirt and wear a hoodie over it. I have one and cannot believe how warm I get wearing it with a merino baselayer top underneath. It's almost too much when hiking.

mauidiver

WKR
Got it!! ANd yes, I now know what you mean. I have a basic underarmor hoodie and I think its some sort of synthetic material. But man, it picks up every piece of hair and dust and sticks on it like a magnet. Thanks Dot!! Appreciate your help.