Havalon Saw

direwolf

FNG
I lost my tried and true Kershaw folding saw on my last hunting trip and am looking to replace it with a lighter weight saw. Does anyone have any experience with the Havalon saw with the replaceable blades? I would be wanting it for use on cutting off ankles/hooves, cutting skull plates and the occasional small tree or branch.

Do any of the scalpel blades they make fit on the saw handle so that I could swap between the saw blades and scalpel blades?

colonel00

WKR
Interested as well. As far as I understand it, it's just a Barracuda frame and the blades all seem to be interchangeable. What sized animals are you planning to use this on? I liked the idea when these came out but that little 4" blade just seems like a really small stroke to be cutting anything but maybe deer or smaller animals. Not impossible but a lot of work.

http://www.havalon.com/havalon-baracuta--quik-change--replacement-fillet-blades.html

OP
D

direwolf

FNG
If it worked well I would use it on everything from antelope to moose size critters. There knife blades are ridiculously sharp, and if the same is true for the saw blades it may take a lot less strokes and effort. Mine and everyone else's complaint about the blades is how brittle they are and breaking easily. If the saw blades blades break easily like the knife blades I probably don't want one.

goldenarrow

Lil-Rokslider
I am interested in the saw blade as well for cutting skull plates. Does anyone know if th blade will fit on the bolt handle? I know you wouldn't be able to close it with the saw installed but it I didn't have to buy another handle it would be worth trying.

Also learn to use a knife for the ankle joints. Using a saw is a lot more work.

toddb

Lil-Rokslider
Did not work well for me on elk skull plate.brand new and it took me forever,sweat draining off me and wore me out. I love their knives and carry n
Mine all the time but will go to bigger heavier bone saw with more hand room with longer strokes.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I picked one up this off season. It seems really sharp like everything else they sell. I look forward to using it soon.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes I have a piranta. The blades are different however you can get different blades for the barracuta knives. 115xt is the number.

hodgeman

WKR
I picked some of the saw blades up after I received a Barracuda as a gift. Haven't had a chance to try them but they have a completely different temper and thickness than the scalpel blades.

Trr15

WKR
Did not work well for me on elk skull plate.brand new and it took me forever,sweat draining off me and wore me out. I love their knives and carry n
Mine all the time but will go to bigger heavier bone saw with more hand room with longer strokes.

Disappointed to hear this. I picked one up after last season and have yet to use it. I was hoping this would be my lightweight replacement for any of the heavier/larger saws I've tried. Still going to give it a go, but my expectations aren't as high as they were,

Ditto that, I was just getting ready to purchase one. Guess I am still looking. Have an outdoor edge grizz saw and it was next to worthless trying to skull cap an elk last season.

OP
D

direwolf

FNG
I will probably get another Kershaw folder. It lists at 9 ounces. Does anyone have another brand of folding saw that they love and weighs much less than that?

The latest Gerber Chinese made saw that telescopes into the handle as shown in the link above did NOT work out well for me last year for limb clearing around tree stands. I had a Gerber Finnish made version (Fiskars production?) for 5 years that was great but starting to get dull so bought the new Chinese Gerber thinking they were the same. It doesn't have enough set in the teeth to saw through thicker limbs without binding severely. Then it bends (the original Finnish version bent a bit too, but worked 100 times better for me). After a few uses the blade broke on the latest version. Note this is cutting limbs, not skull caps. Due to the inherent lubrication while cutting the skull cap, it might work out OK for that? Anyway, despite the similar appearance the new versus old Gerbers are not the same, and much inferior in my experience.

As per cutting skulls/antlers, I still use a 40 year old Knapp Sport Saw that has been sharpened many times. 9 ounces and still tough and doing it's job.....but doubt they have been made in a long time, or at least I haven't seen any.

colonel00

WKR
Would be nice if someone started producing the Sawvivor again. I love mine and constantly keep an eye out for a backup.

goldenarrow

Lil-Rokslider
For a folding saw I don't think you can beat the Bacho Laplander. I have cut deer skull caps with it but I haven't had a chance to try it on elk yet. It is great for cutting wood.

For a folding saw I don't think you can beat the Bacho Laplander. I have cut deer skull caps with it but I haven't had a chance to try it on elk yet. It is great for cutting wood.

I agree that for a small folder the Laplander is a great saw... I use it bushcrafting all the time...

However, my saw I use for hunting is the Outdoor Edge:

http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Edge-...d=1428002227&sr=8-3&keywords=outdoor+edge+saw

I MUCH prefer the "T" handle for splitting rig cages and skull caps with bloody hands... plus the blade is a little more stout then the laplander and there is no joint to worry about/clean. Done several deer and an elk as well as various shooting lanes and it is still sharp! Very light as well... Highly recommend!