Antelope decoy

poisonarrow

Lil-Rokslider
I have had a few guys tell me that a small buck is better for a decoy than a big buck. I have never hunted antelope so I am looking for input on this one.

They said, that their experience was that a the herd buck would round up his does and move off if challenged by a big buck. If challenged by a small buck they would run him off.

What do you think. You can see the decoy that I have at Poison Arrow Gear.com

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have a ton of antelope experience, but that is basically on par with my observations. I saw bucks running off smaller ones (after stalking within 80 yards with bow). We had a doe decoy. It would get there attention but didn't quite bring them into bow range for the time period I was hunting.

Lukem

WKR
The little buck can be double edged, sure you're more likely to get a buck with a herd of does more riled up and probably get the aggressive response that we all hope when compared to a big buck, but on the other hand, during the rut, the last things does want to mess with is another inferior buck. They are sick and tired of being harassed by little bucks and in my experience, more often than not the does will head straight away the other way when they see a little buck and taking your target buck right with them.

That said, I've had good luck with a homemade doe decoy during the rut. Does aren't locked into a single harem and move somewhat freely from harem to harem, picking the buck to breed with based upon his ability to round them and keep them in his harem. John Byers book "Built for Speed" is an excellent read on the behavioral ecology of this, but if you can make a decoy imitating a lone doe receptive to being pursued into a new harem, it'll work well during the prerut and rut. It's a decoy that's sorely missing in the market because everybody wants and thinks that you have to get that aggressive response. However, everybody uses it and the goats get used to it, especially on public land.

Lukem

WKR
Sorry, was typing quick. I mean a picture of a doe approaching and looking at the group/buck. Montana's doe decoy is the opposite. Can't even tell it's a doe.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
pronghorn%20web_zpsgsgcli39.jpg

OP
poisonarrow

poisonarrow

Lil-Rokslider
i stopped by Rocky Mountain Discount Sports in Riverton Wy. They ordered some antelope rump decoys. I am going to make some up when I get home. I sill post some pictures when I get them completed.

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
Years ago I made a decoy that was a small buck on one side and a doe on the other. The horn just rotated down when the doe side was shown. In my experience the small buck worked the best. Find a buck that is keeping his does in a tight group, stalk as close as possible,
pop up the decoy and get ready.

HunterHawk

Lil-Rokslider
I think these decoys you are making are pretty cool... i think this antelope is a bit to red though... other than that I think it is an OK look..

OP
poisonarrow

poisonarrow

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input. I am going to stock a antelope rump. There seems to be a even split on the type of head that should be used. For now I am going to continue with the one I have and the rump.